Forum Member

Default NJ & PA Certification

Is it possible to transfer certifications from PA to NJ or NJ to PA. the only reason why I ask is because my parents will soon be separated and I want to know if they would be transferable. Is FF1 hard to begin with. I have asthma as well But I won't let that stop me from becoming a volly firefighter. I don't plan to go career I just want something to do on the side. I plan to hopefully be in college by next year majoring in marketing or business. I wanna do firefighting for the thrill etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Two years ago I made the transition from NJ to PA. I got my FF1 and FF2 certs in NJ. The major difference is the NJ certs are not ProBoard. Whether or not NJ certs will be accepted is entirely up to the department, however I have served on two fire departments in PA and both readily accepted my certs from NJ.

As for being a firefighter for the thrill, that's an entirely different topic. If you have a desire to serve the community and help others, give it a shot - but if looking for a thrill is your main reason for wanting to do it then maybe you should find a hobby like skydiving. FF1 is roughly 140 hours of training. If it's something you really want to do, then sign up for a FF1 class and try it out - you'll be able to tell pretty quickly whether or not it's for you. You could also go to your local firehouse and talk to some of the guys. They should be able to put you on the right track with everything.

Forum Member

Thanks man. Yea I am looking to help my community as well, I just don't want to do it as a career.

Forum Member

Currently, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has no minimum requirements to become a Firefighter.

Many individual departments however, have minimum requirements, such as training provided by an accredited (IFSAC/Pro-Board, etc) program. I would check with the Department that covers the area you are considering moving to. If you currently posess IFSAC or Pro-Board credentials then I would certainly think they would welcome you with open arms.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFD1FF View Post
    Two years ago I made the transition from NJ to PA. I got my FF1 and FF2 certs in NJ. The major difference is the NJ certs are not ProBoard. Whether or not NJ certs will be accepted is entirely up to the department, however I have served on two fire departments in PA and both readily accepted my certs from NJ.
    Not to date myself here but I got my original Firefighter I certificate from Burlington County, NJ Fire Academy, which was located physically closer to my home than the Montgomery County (Pa.) Fire Academy where I lived at the time. My Deparment accepted the FFI ticket due to the fact that it met and even exceeded the requirements of NFPA 1001. Later in life when IFSAC was in it's infancy I challenged the test and converted over.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BurningDesire View Post
    Is FF1 hard to begin with. I have asthma as well But I won't let that stop me from becoming a volly firefighter. .
    Volunteer fire training isn't that strenuous at all, especially in NJ. The curriculum is made the way that volunteer departments, which NJ is primarily made up of, can pass. I have been through 3 county academies 1 of which with career guys(JC, New brunswick) and it was just very informal lecture/practical. No PT. Volunteer Firefighter certification is a the minimum NFPA 1001, each academy/community college can add more to it. As long as you can handle stress, small enclosed areas, heights, facemask, you'll be ok.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jklm128 View Post
    Volunteer fire training isn't that strenuous at all, especially in NJ. The curriculum is made the way that volunteer departments, which NJ is primarily made up of, can pass. I have been through 3 county academies 1 of which with career guys(JC, New brunswick) and it was just very informal lecture/practical. No PT. Volunteer Firefighter certification is a the minimum NFPA 1001, each academy/community college can add more to it. As long as you can handle stress, small enclosed areas, heights, facemask, you'll be ok.
    Yea well like I said my parents are splitting up, and I want to join a department in both houses etc. I am just wondering if the certifacations are transferable from either state. so If I take it in PA I won't have to do it in NJ.

I am planning on getting both FF1 and FF2, but like i said before as well I don't plan to do this as a career.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Not to date myself here but I got my original Firefighter I certificate from Burlington County, NJ Fire Academy, which was located physically closer to my home than the Montgomery County (Pa.) Fire Academy where I lived at the time. My Deparment accepted the FFI ticket due to the fact that it met and even exceeded the requirements of NFPA 1001. Later in life when IFSAC was in it's infancy I challenged the test and converted over.
    I am in Mercer County as of now, Hamilton Area.

Forum Member

No, PA will not take NJ's FF1.

We have a LT who came over from NJ and wanted to take the FF2 but Montco nor Berks would accept his NJ FF1.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

No, PA will not take NJ's FF1.

We have a Captain who came over from NJ and wanted to take the FF2 but Montco nor Berks would accept his NJ FF1.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified

Forum Member

Thanks, But will NJ take PA's Certification

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, you're better off taking it in PA and getting the Pro-Board certification. And no there is no reciprocity for NJ certs in PA, but some departments do accept them.

On a side note, Bucks County offers challenges of FF1 and FF2 which consist of just the written exam and practical exam. So if you ended up taking it in NJ you could easily spend a Saturday and Sunday in Bucks County to challenge them and get the Pro-Board certs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFD1FF View Post
    Yes, you're better off taking it in PA and getting the Pro-Board certification. And no there is no reciprocity for NJ certs in PA, but some departments do accept them.

On a side note, Bucks County offers challenges of FF1 and FF2 which consist of just the written exam and practical exam. So if you ended up taking it in NJ you could easily spend a Saturday and Sunday in Bucks County to challenge them and get the Pro-Board certs.
    Thanks man, thats exactly where I am joining 10 House Edgely. Is the written hard?

Forum Member

Montgomery County is holding an open challenge for all on September 12. Pre-registration is required.
    Steve Dragon

Forum Member

Thanks man.

Thread Information