Default old antique Fire engine wagon

Hi Everyone,
    My name is Si Issler, and I manage a tourist attraction in Rapid City, SD called the Flying T Chuckwagon. Outside our building, under cover, we have an old fire engine wagon in very good condition, and I'm looking for leads to find out the value, and if anyone is an interested buyer. Maybe a firefighting museum?
    If you have any information, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to attach a picture, so feel free to email me at info@flyingt.com and I will send one to you.
    Thanks so much for your time.
    Cheers

MembersZone Subscriber

check out the Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus of America

http://www.spaamfaa.org/
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Have you tried contacting the Rapid City Fire Department to see if they are interested?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I may be able to help, but need the make, model and year. Engine manufacturer, type (gas/diesel?) transmission (manual, auto?) are also needed. Also, if you can ascertain the pump make, and tank size that would be helpful as well. Also, what is your definition of "very good" condition? Please provide a comprehensive report of the condition of the rig- Does it run? Any problems? Oil or coolant leaks? If it does not run does the engine turn? When was the last time the pump was used? How about the body? Any rust? Where is it? How extensive is it? Is the chrome pitted? How long has it been stored outdoors (Being covered does not matter- that only makes it harder for any ambient moisture to evaporate.....The WORST thing you can do to an antique vehicle of any kind is to store it outdoors, covered or not.)

You should know ahead of time that the market value of antique fire apparatus is not high. The better condition the rig is in, obviously the more you will get. But I would not have hopes of sending your kids to college by selling it.

Provide all of the above info and post some pictures and I will give the value a SWAG. I own my own antique pumper and have been studying them for quite some time. I feel I can give you an educated ballpark figure if I have the above info.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Sorry about my earlier description, I was way off.
    It's an old ladder wagon- attached is a picture.
    Considering it's from the late 1800s, it's not in bad shape. The iron wheels are intact, everything is still put together and solid, and just a bit of the wood seems to be coming off one of the wheels. And someone from earlier seems to have painted some toll painting on it, which I'm not too fond of.
    It stands about 5' tall, and probably about 13' long. Hasn't been moved in years and no one is allowed to climb on it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by S1ssl3r View Post
    Sorry about my earlier description, I was way off.
    It's an old ladder wagon- attached is a picture.
    Considering it's from the late 1800s, it's not in bad shape. The iron wheels are intact, everything is still put together and solid, and just a bit of the wood seems to be coming off one of the wheels. And someone from earlier seems to have painted some toll painting on it, which I'm not too fond of.
    It stands about 5' tall, and probably about 13' long. Hasn't been moved in years and no one is allowed to climb on it.

Didn't see a photo.

Has it any tools or equipment on it and what shape are them? Any rust spots or rotten wood? Has it been kept inside a building or left out in the open?

Try to post the picture again, you might have to resize it to a small format that can be posted herein.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 08-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Default fire ladder wagon

I'm attaching another pic that's downsized, hopefully you can find it.
    Considering the age, which I'm assuming is turn of the century, it's in good shape. About 12 inches of wood is missing from one of the iron wagon wheels.
    It's weathered and been outside for a long time, but undercover, being saved from some of the SoDak weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Cool .....
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information