Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

.............................. ..
    Last edited by devanoo; 08-19-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Forum Member

I know this is highly dependent on the region, but I have only a brother in the fire service and when it came to a full time job it seemed to get in the way of hiring, though it helped immensely in my own training. I wouldnt think that family history would have much to do with your ability to get a job.. most people would rather train someone with ZERO experience/expectations than someone who knows what to expect anyways..

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nope

Having a family background in the fire service does not help u get into a department. Skill, Attitude and Education are what matters. Most Departments in the US require a bachelor degree of some type before they even consider an applicant for the position. Also having a paramedic license helps as wheal. You have to make yourself stand out. In big departments like San Diego they could have 3 positions open and thousands of applicants.
    Also having a well written ONE page resume is the way to go. Experience counts for a lot, as long as you have the education to support that experience. So starting out in a volunteer department is not always a bad idea you get knowledge and some hands on experience. I have done both and its worked out grate for me. I hope this helps you out.

Forum Member

If you think getting a job in a particular field is dependent on your family being 'in the business,'....your wrong. Come on, man. If you work hard, make all the right moves, network, get some education,..all those things, you can achieve your goals.

I don't mean to 'toot my own horn,' but my family has ZERO firefighting in its family tree, and while I haven't got on a career dept. yet, I'm not blind to the fact I'm doing some good things in regards to my pursuit of a fire career. I've worked two springs for the same goverment agency fighting wildland fires, I graduated with an A from a local fire academy, have gained 5 state certification in one year, with two more hopefully by the end of '09, and have put in more than my time at my vollie dept. This effort has not been lost on my fire chief who has allowed me to take part in things that most 'probies' wouldn't be allowed to do...like be a mentor when it comes to such things as helping other younger guys on the dept. pursue careers in firefighting.

Again, my point is work hard, do all those thing you need to do, and what you family does or doens't do won't mean squat to your pursuit of this great career. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Breech31; 08-05-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

The only thing standing in the way of you getting a fire job in San Diego or anywhere else in the nation is YOU. No family ties needed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKfireburns View Post
    Having a family background in the fire service does not help u get into a department. Skill, Attitude and Education are what matters. Most Departments in the US require a bachelor degree of some type before they even consider an applicant for the position.
    I have never heard of a department anywhere that requires a bachelors degree. I have never actually heard of one that requires over 45 hours. Correct me if I am wrong.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKfireburns View Post
    Most Departments in the US require a bachelor degree of some type before they even consider an applicant for the position.
    Bachelor's degree? I don't know about where you're from, but not over here on the east coast!

As the other posters have said, family history in the fire service has nothing to do with you getting hired.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    I have never heard of a department anywhere that requires a bachelors degree. I have never actually heard of one that requires over 45 hours. Correct me if I am wrong.
    I agree with TechGuy and BoxAlarm187

Is there a requirement for an advanced degree to get a firefighter job?

Answer: Very few departments require some college credits. They usually require the units just to cull the heard in the number testing. Iím not aware of an agency requiring a degree to test. A couple list an advanced degree as desirable but not required. Yea, you need a medic cert just to apply for a fire/medic test and some departments testing for medics could require an academy too.

Reply: I worked with a candidate on his resume recently. It was packed with 2 degrees, certs, POC Volly experience, and every merit badge you could imagine. After taking a lot of tests without results he reflected that he would have probably been hired already had be become a medic. He wrote me this:

ďI really feel that some of the departments in the south are afraid of the change that is occurring across the country in regards to the importance of higher educations.Ē Mike

Reply: What change? Maybe it will be in the next generation but not now. I've been doing this for 39 years and have not seen the change you and others are talking about. I will sound the alarm when there is evidence it's on the horizon.

Convince me how this is going to help you in a snott nose rookie oral board where many on the other side of the panel don't have an advanced degree? It's not just an advanced degree. It's medic school baby and learning how to take a firefighter interview that will open doors!

Family Members: Mentioning a family member is a firefighter could hurt you. Too many candidates club the oral board over the head with a dad or other relative who is or has been a firefighter. The panel can interpret this as asking for more points.

I spoke at a recent college fire academy and recognized the son of a firefighter. As we spoke the head of the program walked up. I introduced the son and the Lt. said he hadnít even know that he dad was a firefighter. The Lt. said thatís the way to do and got big kiddos from the Lt.. The Lt. said you want to remain invisible in preparing for the education, experience and hiring process. All you have to do is **** off someone along the way touting you have a relative in the fire service and it could work against you. Good advice.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    I spoke at a recent college fire academy and recognized the son of a firefighter. As we spoke the head of the program walked up. I introduced the son and the Lt. said he hadnít even know that he dad was a firefighter. The Lt. said thatís the way to do and got big kiddos from the Lt.. The Lt. said you want to remain invisible in preparing for the education, experience and hiring process. All you have to do is **** off someone along the way touting you have a relative in the fire service and it could work against you. Good advice.
    Agreed! It's also WAY more gratifying to succeed on your own merits, than on the coat tails of another! Be your own man!
    Last edited by Breech31; 08-07-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: your mom
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

thanks evryone i know it kinda was a dumb thing to ask i was just makin sure it wasnt true

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

ive wanted to be a firefighter for a long time and id like to work in san diego but since none of my family has been a firefighter it seems like ill have a very very very hard time getting in with no family in the firefighting bussines and it almost seems imposible is this true?
    Quote Originally Posted by devanoo View Post
    thanks evryone i know it kinda was a dumb thing to ask i was just makin sure it wasnt true

You shouldn't need college credits, but you darn sure ought to show them you have SOME kind of education. Your grammar and punctuation are terrible. And don't give me that old, "This is just the internet, I'll write better on my job application" excuse. That's a cop-out. Better develop some good writing habits now.

This lazy *** "text speak" with no punctuation, no capitalization, "OMG, UR 2 funny, CUL8R" crap has slowly crept into all our written communications. We are developing a generation of job seekers who don't know how to compose a decent sentence or punctuate it properly, can't spell, and they think it's OK to use this kind of grammar in the workplace.

First impressions are lasting impressions. If your application or resume makes you look like you're an idiot, they'll assume you're an idiot.

Good luck in your job search, but get someone to proofread your resume before you submit it.

Rant off
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    You shouldn't need college credits, but you darn sure ought to show them you have SOME kind of education. Your grammar and punctuation are terrible. And don't give me that old, "This is just the internet, I'll write better on my job application" excuse. That's a cop-out. Better develop some good writing habits now.

This lazy *** "text speak" with no punctuation, no capitalization, "OMG, UR 2 funny, CUL8R" crap has slowly crept into all our written communications. We are developing a generation of job seekers who don't know how to compose a decent sentence or punctuate it properly, can't spell, and they think it's OK to use this kind of grammar in the workplace.

First impressions are lasting impressions. If your application or resume makes you look like you're an idiot, they'll assume you're an idiot.

Good luck in your job search, but get someone to proofread your resume before you submit it.

Rant off
    Sorry teacher.

Learn to take advice without being a smart ***.

Thread Information