Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Forum Member devanoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    16

    Default

    .............................. ..
    Last edited by devanoo; 08-19-2009 at 01:48 PM.


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I know this is highly dependent on the region, but I have only a brother in the fire service and when it came to a full time job it seemed to get in the way of hiring, though it helped immensely in my own training. I wouldnt think that family history would have much to do with your ability to get a job.. most people would rather train someone with ZERO experience/expectations than someone who knows what to expect anyways..

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks,AK
    Posts
    4

    Default Nope

    Having a family background in the fire service does not help u get into a department. Skill, Attitude and Education are what matters. Most Departments in the US require a bachelor degree of some type before they even consider an applicant for the position. Also having a paramedic license helps as wheal. You have to make yourself stand out. In big departments like San Diego they could have 3 positions open and thousands of applicants.
    Also having a well written ONE page resume is the way to go. Experience counts for a lot, as long as you have the education to support that experience. So starting out in a volunteer department is not always a bad idea you get knowledge and some hands on experience. I have done both and its worked out grate for me. I hope this helps you out.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    131

    Default

    If you think getting a job in a particular field is dependent on your family being 'in the business,'....your wrong. Come on, man. If you work hard, make all the right moves, network, get some education,..all those things, you can achieve your goals.

    I don't mean to 'toot my own horn,' but my family has ZERO firefighting in its family tree, and while I haven't got on a career dept. yet, I'm not blind to the fact I'm doing some good things in regards to my pursuit of a fire career. I've worked two springs for the same goverment agency fighting wildland fires, I graduated with an A from a local fire academy, have gained 5 state certification in one year, with two more hopefully by the end of '09, and have put in more than my time at my vollie dept. This effort has not been lost on my fire chief who has allowed me to take part in things that most 'probies' wouldn't be allowed to do...like be a mentor when it comes to such things as helping other younger guys on the dept. pursue careers in firefighting.

    Again, my point is work hard, do all those thing you need to do, and what you family does or doens't do won't mean squat to your pursuit of this great career. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Breech31; 08-05-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

  5. #5
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    The only thing standing in the way of you getting a fire job in San Diego or anywhere else in the nation is YOU. No family ties needed.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKfireburns View Post
    Having a family background in the fire service does not help u get into a department. Skill, Attitude and Education are what matters. Most Departments in the US require a bachelor degree of some type before they even consider an applicant for the position.
    I have never heard of a department anywhere that requires a bachelors degree. I have never actually heard of one that requires over 45 hours. Correct me if I am wrong.

  7. #7
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKfireburns View Post
    Most Departments in the US require a bachelor degree of some type before they even consider an applicant for the position.
    Bachelor's degree? I don't know about where you're from, but not over here on the east coast!

    As the other posters have said, family history in the fire service has nothing to do with you getting hired.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    I have never heard of a department anywhere that requires a bachelors degree. I have never actually heard of one that requires over 45 hours. Correct me if I am wrong.
    I agree with TechGuy and BoxAlarm187

    Is there a requirement for an advanced degree to get a firefighter job?

    Answer: Very few departments require some college credits. They usually require the units just to cull the heard in the number testing. Iím not aware of an agency requiring a degree to test. A couple list an advanced degree as desirable but not required. Yea, you need a medic cert just to apply for a fire/medic test and some departments testing for medics could require an academy too.

    Reply: I worked with a candidate on his resume recently. It was packed with 2 degrees, certs, POC Volly experience, and every merit badge you could imagine. After taking a lot of tests without results he reflected that he would have probably been hired already had be become a medic. He wrote me this:

    ďI really feel that some of the departments in the south are afraid of the change that is occurring across the country in regards to the importance of higher educations.Ē Mike

    Reply: What change? Maybe it will be in the next generation but not now. I've been doing this for 39 years and have not seen the change you and others are talking about. I will sound the alarm when there is evidence it's on the horizon.

    Convince me how this is going to help you in a snott nose rookie oral board where many on the other side of the panel don't have an advanced degree? It's not just an advanced degree. It's medic school baby and learning how to take a firefighter interview that will open doors!

    Family Members: Mentioning a family member is a firefighter could hurt you. Too many candidates club the oral board over the head with a dad or other relative who is or has been a firefighter. The panel can interpret this as asking for more points.

    I spoke at a recent college fire academy and recognized the son of a firefighter. As we spoke the head of the program walked up. I introduced the son and the Lt. said he hadnít even know that he dad was a firefighter. The Lt. said thatís the way to do and got big kiddos from the Lt.. The Lt. said you want to remain invisible in preparing for the education, experience and hiring process. All you have to do is **** off someone along the way touting you have a relative in the fire service and it could work against you. Good advice.
    ______________________________ _______________

    "Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

    Fire "Captain Bob"

    www.eatstress.com

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    I spoke at a recent college fire academy and recognized the son of a firefighter. As we spoke the head of the program walked up. I introduced the son and the Lt. said he hadnít even know that he dad was a firefighter. The Lt. said thatís the way to do and got big kiddos from the Lt.. The Lt. said you want to remain invisible in preparing for the education, experience and hiring process. All you have to do is **** off someone along the way touting you have a relative in the fire service and it could work against you. Good advice.
    Agreed! It's also WAY more gratifying to succeed on your own merits, than on the coat tails of another! Be your own man!
    Last edited by Breech31; 08-07-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: your mom
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

  10. #10
    Forum Member devanoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    16

    Default

    thanks evryone i know it kinda was a dumb thing to ask i was just makin sure it wasnt true

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...
    Posts
    2,318

    Default

    ive wanted to be a firefighter for a long time and id like to work in san diego but since none of my family has been a firefighter it seems like ill have a very very very hard time getting in with no family in the firefighting bussines and it almost seems imposible is this true?
    Quote Originally Posted by devanoo View Post
    thanks evryone i know it kinda was a dumb thing to ask i was just makin sure it wasnt true

    You shouldn't need college credits, but you darn sure ought to show them you have SOME kind of education. Your grammar and punctuation are terrible. And don't give me that old, "This is just the internet, I'll write better on my job application" excuse. That's a cop-out. Better develop some good writing habits now.

    This lazy *** "text speak" with no punctuation, no capitalization, "OMG, UR 2 funny, CUL8R" crap has slowly crept into all our written communications. We are developing a generation of job seekers who don't know how to compose a decent sentence or punctuate it properly, can't spell, and they think it's OK to use this kind of grammar in the workplace.

    First impressions are lasting impressions. If your application or resume makes you look like you're an idiot, they'll assume you're an idiot.

    Good luck in your job search, but get someone to proofread your resume before you submit it.

    Rant off
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

    "I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

  12. #12
    Forum Member devanoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    You shouldn't need college credits, but you darn sure ought to show them you have SOME kind of education. Your grammar and punctuation are terrible. And don't give me that old, "This is just the internet, I'll write better on my job application" excuse. That's a cop-out. Better develop some good writing habits now.

    This lazy *** "text speak" with no punctuation, no capitalization, "OMG, UR 2 funny, CUL8R" crap has slowly crept into all our written communications. We are developing a generation of job seekers who don't know how to compose a decent sentence or punctuate it properly, can't spell, and they think it's OK to use this kind of grammar in the workplace.

    First impressions are lasting impressions. If your application or resume makes you look like you're an idiot, they'll assume you're an idiot.

    Good luck in your job search, but get someone to proofread your resume before you submit it.

    Rant off
    Sorry teacher.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Learn to take advice without being a smart ***.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Strang Question, Siren Question
    By BroomallCapt in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
  2. multi question truck modification question
    By CaptainMikey in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts