MembersZone Subscriber

Default More FDNY Questions

Hey everyone. I am currently a paid volunteer firefighter in Idaho with Wood River Fire and Rescue. A friend of mine and I are really interested in getting into FDNY and wanting to start careers over there. So far we have talked to some people down at Station 174, I think thats the station number, in Lower Manhattan. What advice do you guys have on getting ready for the academy and/or hiring process in general? Both of us have our EMT/B and FF1. From what I hear this doesn't mean much seeing as we get that in the academy. But what are some things we can do to get ready to move from a small rural department that covers maybe 20 miles of houses/wildland to a bigger urban enviroment.

Thanks a lot for the help.
    Slainte
    -Alex

IACOJ BOD

Climb stairs. Lots of them.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

You have FF1 and EMT?

You also have experience as a Volunteer?? they will prob hire you on the spot and you wont have to go to he Academy...

Forum Member

No such place in lower Manhattan called station 174. Maybe you where in Brooklyn at Ladder 174? You can have all the certs in the world....they mean nothing and will not aide you in getting a job. They only thing that may matter is the NYS CFR-D cert. Read about the hiring process at www.nyc.gov/fdny It outlines the process. To be honest, not a single member cares where you come from or what "experiences" you think you may have. Do yourself a favor and NEVER mention it....EVER.

You will need to be a resident of the 5 boroughs, or surrounding counties in NY. Its a big commitment, and expensive venture. It takes at least 3 years to get hired once the test is given...but that was during the massive hiring done from 2001 to just last year....those days are over....maybe 100 guys a year....maybe.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

I second all that Vinny said.

And I believe there isn't going to be another class off the current test for quite a while (latest rumor). Have no idea when the next written will be.

Forum Member

paid volunteer?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Idahofire View Post
    Hey everyone. I am currently a paid volunteer firefighter in Idaho with Wood River Fire and Rescue. A friend of mine and I are really interested in getting into FDNY and wanting to start careers over there. So far we have talked to some people down at Station 174, I think thats the station number, in Lower Manhattan. What advice do you guys have on getting ready for the academy and/or hiring process in general? Both of us have our EMT/B and FF1. From what I hear this doesn't mean much seeing as we get that in the academy. But what are some things we can do to get ready to move from a small rural department that covers maybe 20 miles of houses/wildland to a bigger urban enviroment.

Thanks a lot for the help.
    Slainte
    -Alex
    There is no such thing as a "fire station" in NYC, not sure who you spoke to as the only 174 we have is a Ladder Company in a neighborhood I'm sure no one from Idaho would ever set foot in. Best advice look at the offical fdny web site under employment.

Read it, understand it, accept it. If you have some questions after reading the material throughly, then I'm sure we could clear things up for you.

Also as mentioned above...it is a HUGE commitment with no gaurantee or certainty of a postive outcome of obtaining an appointment. There are avenues that can be taken by a person from far away that help change the possiblity of getting a job here...(move here and join PD or sanitation) but again it doesn't assure you a FD job.

I came from a city distant from NYC so, It can be done...but it cost me $1000s of my own money as well a tremendous effort and disipline.

There are a number of issues currently with the entrance exams...but basicly it is Civil service. Written, physical, combined scored produce list number and ta-da...you get hired in that order.

No prior experience is considered or needed.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 08-05-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Forum Member

I volunteer to be paid every 2 weeks.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Next class is October 26th. Buddy who's dad retired from 23 Truck is hopefully getting in! He deferred the last one so...

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys sorry about the mix up. It was Engine Company 4/Ladder 15/Decon. I don't know where he got station 174. Would you think it would be a better idea to join a bigger department here in Idaho like Boise FD then trying for New York later? Or should I just start now on trying to get there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Idahofire View Post
    Hey guys sorry about the mix up. It was Engine Company 4/Ladder 15/Decon. I don't know where he got station 174. Would you think it would be a better idea to join a bigger department here in Idaho like Boise FD then trying for New York later? Or should I just start now on trying to get there?
    Reread what VinnieB said again and look at the web site. If you don have residence in NYC or adjoining area you would be wasting your time.

Having a family member on the job helps you over the guy who don't.

Even if you did apply and get a notification to report for testing, that is all that is, testing. You have to just about "ACE" everything to be high on the list to be considered or even get an interview. The it depend on your back ground and how well you present ypu self and answer the question to be given a high ranking and be called to report to the training school.

As someone said the cert's you have now might as well leave them at home and forget about them. They are going to train you the way they want to and will certify you their way and no one elses.

No fire stations in the FDNY. They are call FIRE HOUSES!

BTW - Halligan 44 you know nothing about a major fire dept. I know of no major urban fire department that would hire you on the spot with your EMT and FF! certs in hand.

You may get a job at resume speed or east arm pit fd having those certs!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Halligan44 View Post
    You have FF1 and EMT?

You also have experience as a Volunteer?? they will prob hire you on the spot and you wont have to go to he Academy...
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Reread what VinnieB said again and look at the web site. If you don have residence in NYC or adjoining area you would be wasting your time.

Having a family member on the job helps you over the guy who don't.

Even if you did apply and get a notification to report for testing, that is all that is, testing. You have to just about "ACE" everything to be high on the list to be considered or even get an interview. The it depend on your back ground and how well you present ypu self and answer the question to be given a high ranking and be called to report to the training school.

As someone said the cert's you have now might as well leave them at home and forget about them. They are going to train you the way they want to and will certify you their way and no one elses.

No fire stations in the FDNY. They are call FIRE HOUSES!

BTW - Halligan 44 you know nothing about a major fire dept. I know of no major urban fire department that would hire you on the spot with your EMT and FF! certs in hand.

You may get a job at resume speed or east arm pit fd having those certs!

Thanks a lot guys on helping me and answering questions. I knew they wouldn't hire us across with just some Idaho certs but was worth a shot. Going to talk to the kid who was telling me he talked to that fire house and ladder company.. thinking hes full of crap.. I think I am going to just try to get on with Boise Fire. Anyways thanks again.

Forum Member

it would be in your best interest to look at as many depts. as possible that are accessible and interesting to you. Fire jobs are hard to get, and while you may really want to work for Boise or FDNY, doesn't mean you should turn down testing oppurtunities with similar depts.

Forum Member

Apply everwhere that you are qualified to apply for and can afford to apply to.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default No important questions asked...

Vinnie. NYC, and FFFred,

Shame on you guys for providing factual information. You should have just asked Idaho his/her race/ color/ creed. It's quite possible he/she will reflect the neighborhood he/she wants to serve in. Then all of those confusing facts you've given will be for naught, and he/she will just be handed the job.
    :-0

Sorry, Idaho, I couldn't resist stirring the pot from a previous hot topic thread. You're getting a ton of good info from these guys here. I will just caution you to do your own research. You already see that your buddy is full of sh*%. Hard work and perseverance are the keys to success.

Thread Information