Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Important- New report and news video- Study: Firefighters Face High Cancer Risk

I got this from CAFF.com...Bou

VIDEO- http://mfile.akamai.com/12922/wmv/vo...70691.200k.asx

ARTICLE and VIDEO- www.10news.com/news/20269334/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- A new study shows that firefighters are at high risk for developing cancer, 10News reported. The men and woman keep citizens safe by battling fires, sometimes for several days at a time.

They inhale toxins, chemicals and smoke while doing it, and many of them are getting sick.

"It was the biggest shock of my life," said Rick Pascall of the San Miguel Fire Department.

Pascall was diagnosed with stage 4 skin cancer.

"So when I was diagnosed and it was determined that it was job-related, I was really shocked but you know that's part of the job," said Pascall.

Researchers at the University of Cincinnati said firefighters have a 100 percent higher risk of developing testicular cancer, a 50 percent higher risk for multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and 26 percent increased risk for prostate cancer.

Pascall has seen dramatic changes in the equipment that firefighters are using compared to 20 years ago.

"When we go on a call we start the diesel engine normally. The exhaust spews out, but we have recovery systems in here that hook up to the exhaust and exhausts diesel fuels out of the building," said Pascall.

Still, researchers found firefighters' equipment does not do a good job of protecting them against cancer.

After hearing the numbers, Pascall said they are taking all precautions more seriously, down to making sure their gear is immediately washed after getting back from a fire.

Pascall is now back on the job and is ready to fight the next big fire.

"Even I at times doubted my recovery, so coming back to work and getting back on the fire engine and doing my job is the best thing that could have ever happened, and I couldn't have done it without all the support of everybody," said Pascall.

A new study is underway involving 11,000 firefighters from around San Diego Country.

The study aims to confirm previous reports and also find out how firefighters can reduce exposure and how to better equip themselves to minimize risk.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-05-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Hmmm.....

A new study to state the obvious. This was common knowledge in the 1970's.

At least the news did a thing on it for greater public awareness and to help validate workman's comp claims.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information