Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hotshot Hiring

Forum Member

Default Hotshot Hiring

I'm interested in getting on a hotshot crew. I've asked around about the hiring process but I'm getting different answers ranging from doing an academy, to scabbing for them, to just not bothering. I was considering going on some PT hikes with a crew, but I'm not sure if that's technically allowed. Does anyone have any sound advice for getting hired onto a hotshot crew?

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Most crews hire people that already have wildland experience. Get on a hand crew/ engine crew for a season or two first. Being in good physical shape is a must. Most crews post their job announcments around the first of the year and do hiring in February-April. Call up one of the crews that your interested in this fall and set up a time to sit down and talk with them.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by xhosejockeyx View Post
    I'm interested in getting on a hotshot crew. I've asked around about the hiring process but I'm getting different answers ranging from doing an academy, to scabbing for them, to just not bothering. I was considering going on some PT hikes with a crew, but I'm not sure if that's technically allowed. Does anyone have any sound advice for getting hired onto a hotshot crew?
    Yup, to be a hotshot crew, almost all of the crew has to have previous wildland experience. If you want to be a hotshot, you can get your foot in the door on a type 2 crew, type 2 IA crew (better) or engine. I am not sure what an academy would get you, but taking your basic s130/s190, etc would help ypou to get hired initially.

Forum Member

Default Now's the time to start planning (pulled from another post)

Redding Interagency Hotshot Crew Training Opportunity
    Fire Leadership Training - Career Development

2010 Announcement now available

Issued: September 14th, 2009
    Closes: December 18th, 2009

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/hot...ngrecruit.html

You might also look at the different regions, since each region may have a different time for recruitment,
    http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/hot...ex.html#eastgb
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but, maybe we had better take a closer look at it."

Redding only takes Permanant employees of federaL agencies. Like many others above said. Find a type two crew or engine to get on for a year or two. Preferably near the hotshot crew you want to get on with is. Sometimes engines on the same district will let thier crewmembers take trips with the hotshot crews. Allowing you to prove that you have what they want. Good Luck.
    "The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action."

Thread Information