Forum Member

Default Best Hose For Fire Attack!?

I am looking to replace my dept's supply of 1.75 and 2" attack hose it is approx 10 years old and in definate need of replacement i have looked at a couple different manufacturer's and i am looking for opinions and suggestions. Also looking for opinions and suggestions on nozzles also

Forum Member

There are many topics on this....try the search button.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default Best hose for Fire Attack.......

.......fire hose.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    .......fire hose.
    Filled with water...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Angry

Hardy har har you are all sooo very funny. I did use the SEARCH button but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for ie. size,brand,jacketed,rubber etc but as i can see this was of absolutely no help.

Forum Member

1 3/4" is good, 2", I don't know- we don't use it... rubber sucks, jacketed is better.. Buy cheap, get alot..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CVFD9LT View Post
    Hardy har har you are all sooo very funny. I did use the SEARCH button but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for ie. size,brand,jacketed,rubber etc but as i can see this was of absolutely no help.
    Now don't get your panties in a wad.

We use typical rubber type hose for 5" LDH. We use Angus high combat for 1 3/4" and 2 1/2" hose. I know it is extra, but the warranty that Angus carries on it makes it worth it for us.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Thanks solo we currently use 2" but we got a bunch of sissy's that want 1.75 hose so the chief is making us downgrade. I love using the 2" attack with a select gallonage tft and cafs for fire attack it makes a super quick knockdown

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoloBlitz View Post
    Buy cheap, get alot..
    This exactly what we don't do. As stated, the warranty offered by Angus for the better hose makes it worth it for us.

Also, we use Elkhart Chief nozzles - 200 gpm @ 75 psi.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

Thanks memphis i will def check into the angus hose

Forum Member

Angus Hi-Combat or Ponn (lightweight supreme.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks solo we currently use 2" but we got a bunch of sissy's that want 1.75 hose so the chief is making us downgrade. I love using the 2" attack with a select gallonage tft and cafs for fire attack it makes a super quick knockdown
    A gym membership for the girlymen would be cheaper than replacing all of your hose!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My volly FD uses Key nitrile rubber 2 inch hose with 1 1/2 inch couplings in 100 foot lengths. We use the Elkhart B-275GAT psitol grip nozzle with a 1 1/4 inch slug tip and on that we put a Elkhart Chief combination nozzle that flows 200 gpm at 75 psi.

We under pump the nozzle to flow 160 gpm at about 55 psi at the tip to start, we can go to 200 on the combo, and 300 gpm with the slug tip at just over 40 psi at the tip.

We have no other size of hose for handline use and this system has worked wel for us. We like the rubber hose since we can hose it off reload it and everyone can go back to their normal lives quicker.

I gotta agree with Gonzo, send your guys to the gym if they can't move the 2 inch. We routinely move it with 2 guys on the line.

Forum Member

You are in the wrong profession, sally.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

what about this one.....

Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

we use ponn supreme 1 3/4" and 2.5"

nozzles are the akron 1441 (15/16") and 1442 (1.25"), no pistol grips
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SoloBlitz View Post
    1 3/4" is good, 2", I don't know- we don't use it... rubber sucks, jacketed is better.. Buy cheap, get alot..
    Consider rubber covered for trash/car fire lines where my be dragging on concrete. Certainly for LDH.

DON'T buy cheap. You get what you pay for. You want hose the mfg believes in so strongly that they give it a 1 year warranty. Or maybe pay just a little more and get decent quality hose.

ATI has 10yr warranty on all their hose. Only mfg to do so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Consider rubber covered for trash/car fire lines where my be dragging on concrete. Certainly for LDH.

DON'T buy cheap. You get what you pay for. You want hose the mfg believes in so strongly that they give it a 1 year warranty. Or maybe pay just a little more and get decent quality hose.

Neiowa is right ( and he's thinking "oh my God, Gonz agrees with me for once... hell has frozen over!" )

Remember... the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, but is it any good one Day 1? Tapered couplings? Kink resistance? Roll and fold decent? And how good is a 10 year warranty on fire hose? Must you prove it's "normal wear and tear? I have a pile of ATI awaiting testing for purchase next week. We'll see. I am hopeful, this wasn't a slam, but I like products that start off right, warrantied crap isn't of much value.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Yes, but is it any good one Day 1? Tapered couplings? Kink resistance? Roll and fold decent? And how good is a 10 year warranty on fire hose? Must you prove it's "normal wear and tear? I have a pile of ATI awaiting testing for purchase next week. We'll see. I am hopeful, this wasn't a slam, but I like products that start off right, warrantied crap isn't of much value.
    That scene in Tommy Boy comes to mind after reading this...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not so. Key also gives 10 years on all their municipal fire hose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    That scene in Tommy Boy comes to mind after reading this...
    "Where is the warranty? There is no warranty on the box, it has to be on the box."

LOL
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Here is some food for thought... I recently called one of my contacts with one of the largest nozzle manufacturers in the business and asked him what his honest, unbiased opinion on attack hose is since he has nothing to gain by it...
    He told me that Ponn Conquest makes good hose and they have one of the lowest fricition losses in the market...And why is this??? I would have never thought it, but the reason is... If you read the NFPA standard on fire service hose, (this is definitely not verbatum), but 1.75" can be manufactured in a way that when it is charged, it must measure less than 2". Apparently, Ponn Conquest makes theirs to the limit so that it is not 2", but is as large as it possibly can be and still be counted as 1.75". This was news to me...

I tell you, Niedner also makes great hose as well. It is a Canadian made hose and is pretty impressive.

I would stay away from that Branham hose, it is China made, and cheap cheap cheap. If that is what your department is into, than Branham hose is for you, but good luck with service and warranty, etc.

Be safe guys and God Bless.
    EW
    Stay low brother!

MembersZone Subscriber

We tested four brands of hose yesterday for friction loss and kinking. Our FL test methods leave a slight accuracy glitch in that we could not test the FL of the coupling nightmare we needed to attach the pitot tube to the end of the hose, but each length was tested at the same pressure and flow from the same discharge allowing us to compare them to each other. As we only had one length of each of two of the brands we were forced to only test each at 50 ft. for consistency. I'd have liked to had 200 ft. of each to really smooth out the FL but for this test it was close enough for comparison.

Since we were using our back-up engine we did not have the ability to flow the 15/16" tip and were forced to use the 3/4" pitot tip so the kink test was done at 50 psi NP for a flow of 118 gpm. The FL tests were done at 120 psi for a flow of 180 gpm.

In the kink test Ponn Supreme was by far the best with it being able to be reduced to a 24" loop before kinking at 50 psi nozzle pressure. One brand kept kinking at the 72" loop size! The other two were 36" and 48".

Regrettably, I don't have my notes or the chart here at home so I can't recall which had the best FL or where the other fell, maybe tomorrow when I swing back in. I do know given the quality of the past Ponn Supreme we've had, and the movement for us to go to all SB's I think it will end up being our selection. I know it was second best in the FL category. Our displeasure with our Ponn Conquest and time constraints made it so that we did not test it as well.

Forum Member

Thanks to all that replied we went with Angus Ultima Lite and 1 Akron 1441 with stacked smoothbore,and 1 Elkhart Chief combo nozzle we ending up purchasing 1,000 feet of attack hose lol we like to have spare on the truck and on the rack in the house
    Last edited by CVFD9LT; 08-23-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Thread Information