Forum Member

Cool Securing LDH in Hose Bed

How are you guys securing your LDH in your hosebeds? We currently run with half tarps to tuck the folds under but have been known to lay hose down the interstate accidently. We do have the nets on some of our newer apparatus but it has caused some problems when laying a supply hose. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Forum Member

Don't tell the NFPA....but we don't secure ours.

We pack it well and it stays in place.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

All the hose ends on both the 2 1/2 and 5" are stored at least 3/4's the length from the hose bed end towards the cab. This pretty much makes sure that no matter how many bumps you hit, it won't bounce it's self out of the hose bed. When you need to deploy it, have a rope tied around that first bend, hanging off the back, or tied to a hand rail.

On some, we installed retractable seat belts to keep them in. About a quarter way up from the hose bed end. Make sure you have to have the coupling on the north end of the seat belt.

If your half tarps have eyelets at the corners, why not put a couple bungee cords on them, and have them cross to a mount under the hose bed.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

pack the hose carefully, don't overload the hose bed, and be aware of bumps and don't baja the engine over bumps and you shouldn't have problems.

Forum Member

as others have said pack the hose neatly. also fronting the couplings on ldh also helps as well as staggering the fold on the ends. long short long short. (keeps it from bowing up on the ends)

Forum Member

LDH is placed male thread/storz adapter on the tailboard over a piece of pvc pipe. The hydrant wrench is placed handle end down inside the pipe, then the adapter is placed over both. The last fold of the LDH is tucked under 3 or 4 lengths of hose so it doesn't come out.

MembersZone Subscriber

This UNIMOG is carrying 3,000' of 5" and 1,000' of 3", the 5" is split 1500' on each side and the 3"is in the middle. The securing system starts at the front of the load just below the top edge with a bar securing reinforced vinyl material attached to ratcheting load straps. This comes up and over the load and down the back where it is secured and ratcheted tight. Each load has an individual strap so you only need to unlock the bin you want to deploy.

An additional Hose Bed Cover covers everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Pack it right, FLAT, keeping the hose butts at the front of the bed and by all means, avoid any "ski slopes" at the front of the bed as this will get caught by the wind as you do down the street and may cause you to lay out before you want too.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 09-11-2009 at 04:57 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaronl32 View Post
    This UNIMOG is carrying 3,000' of 5" and 1,000' of 3", the 5" is split 1500' on each side and the 3"is in the middle. The securing system starts at the front of the load just below the top edge with a bar securing reinforced vinyl material attached to ratcheting load straps. This comes up and over the load and down the back where it is secured and ratcheted tight. Each load has an individual strap so you only need to unlock the bin you want to deploy.

An additional Hose Bed Cover covers everything.
    Sexy, just what the manufacturers wanted, to sell us more overkill and unnecessary junk.

As The old captain says, pack it right and you won't lay it out.

"e'cuse us maam, we have to unstrap all our hose before we go in to save your baby, can you give us a minute please"

MembersZone Subscriber

capt. i love the rear of the engine.... back when engines were engines (tear in the corner of my eye)

it's too bad we have fo-fangled "rescue/EMS first response/hazmat/rope-rigging/swiftwater/vehicles" (with some hose and pumps on them as an after thought )
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    pack the hose carefully, don't overload the hose bed, and be aware of bumps and don't baja the engine over bumps and you shouldn't have problems.
    LOL!

Back in the day when I was driving an engine like the ol' capt showed (tailboard, hard suction, ladders on the side) anyway ..... yea, couplings in the front, hose loaded very flat with a long seatbelt to yard out the first length.

Come to think of it, I don't think we even HAD NFPA back then. "Standards? What standards?"
    A brother in spirit if no longer in body ...

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was with a department that used LDH, we did as the others stated. We made sure that it was packed neatly and tightly and that the front of the hose bed was laying flat. Also make sure that all of the air is out of the hose. That will help it lay flatter.

Forum Member

we dont secure it either .......or new engine has a diamond plate hosebed cover ........with the vinal flaps ..........other rigs just ahd canvas covers again with no issue......'cept for the ladder once laid 1100 of 5 in .......that was operator error.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Fire Research Jack Strap

Fire Research produces a strap designed for just this problem. Information is available at fireresearch.com, under accessories.

Thread Information