Forum Member

Question Paged Out & Text Msg.

My dept is going to be the first dept in our county to receive text messages when we get paged out for any calls. Just curious to see how many depts are already doing this, if the guys like it, and if what types of issues you might have come across(besides phone trouble, bad recept. etc)

MembersZone Subscriber

We get txt msg's when a standby crew is needed on the station

MembersZone Subscriber

Official department alert method is with the pager, but by special request, a text message is sent to personal cell phones. This is a great help since the cross streets are transmitted via text, but not over the radio. Additionally, the fact that the text is tagged with the dispatch time allows drivers or officers to complete the run paperwork without having to wait for the times to be sent over the fax. It is a help, but sometimes takes second place when the dispatch is really busy. I don't completely rely on the text for dispatch. I still carry my pager. It is particularly nice like right now when I'm sitting in Chicago and my fire co. is in Pennsylvania. I know exactly what calls I have missed, even though I can't do anything to help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, you would have to make sure your guys could actually READ.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Well, you would have to make sure your guys could actually READ.
    Well........you would have to throw a damper on it!

Guys.......time to go to plan "B"

Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

My fulltime department has been doing this for some time to notify HazMat team members of calls, since most of us would come from home for those calls.

My volunteer department just implemented this system for all calls. So far everyone is liking it. It should be noted that this should be a SECONDARY form of notification. Calls are still put out over the radio/tone pager system first, then the text paging system is used. It is also great to notify of meetings and/or trainings or pretty much anything else that you could think to use it for.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

All of of Litchfield County in CT recieves texts messages as a secondary alert method.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

We do it. The chiefs get their text from the local 911 operator or the county which ever dispatches us. The rest of us get it from our dispatch computer as soon as our base station is manned, usually 2-3 minutes. Works great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KuhShise View Post
    Official department alert method is with the pager, but by special request, a text message is sent to personal cell phones. This is a great help since the cross streets are transmitted via text, but not over the radio. Additionally, the fact that the text is tagged with the dispatch time allows drivers or officers to complete the run paperwork without having to wait for the times to be sent over the fax. It is a help, but sometimes takes second place when the dispatch is really busy. I don't completely rely on the text for dispatch. I still carry my pager. It is particularly nice like right now when I'm sitting in Chicago and my fire co. is in Pennsylvania. I know exactly what calls I have missed, even though I can't do anything to help.
    Same exact situation here.

Forum Member

Parish next to us uses it as primary for thier combo surburban and rural departments.

Text message comes out first. That's followed about 10 seconds later by a printout in the station assigned. About 10 seconds after that, tones and info comes over the radio.

They seem to like it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I really like having it to a text. it is nice not to have a alpha numeric pager any more.

The inital call is via low band pagers and station tones. next the dispacter has it sent via a ms office email mail to the phones. It is usally a 30 second to 1 minute after the inital page.

No problems. With multiple dispatchers i have seen them sent out at the identical time. It works well here.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Parish next to us uses it as primary for thier combo surburban and rural departments.

Text message comes out first. That's followed about 10 seconds later by a printout in the station assigned. About 10 seconds after that, tones and info comes over the radio.

They seem to like it.
    Re those stations manned? Why would they send the text first? Wouldn't it be better to have the guys at the station moving to get on the rigs 20 seconds earlier????????????????
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

I get the txt before it comes to my pager. Sometimes I get the txt before the tones go off in the station

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    Re those stations manned? Why would they send the text first? Wouldn't it be better to have the guys at the station moving to get on the rigs 20 seconds earlier????????????????
    One of our neighboring departments has this also. I don't think it's a matter of sending the text message first, the way they described it the text message gets sent out automatically as soon as the incident info is entered into CAD (i.e., there's no extra step involved). The text message is already being transmitted as the dispatcher is setting off the tones. Therefore they do often get the text message a few seconds before the tones go off.

The chief there likes it, he seldom carries a pager anymore.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

my county started this not to long ago and a county we run mutual aid in has been doing it for a little longer. The only problem that the other county has run into is people getting the pages trying to make someone foot the bill besides themselves whenever they got charged for going over their text message limit.
    Also might want to see if whatever system they are using plays nice with your phone provider.

We can get text from dispatch. Unreliable though, depending on your carrier. We were having issues with some members receiving the text hours or even days late. Mine stopped altogether. Apparently it's an issue of some carriers flagging the text as spam (due to the mass-text)

Forum Member

Our county started this about a year ago. The system they use sends a text as soon as the information is entered into the CAD. As soon as they enter the info they also hit the pager/station tones. So far it seems to work BUT depending on the carrier and your location you may not get the page very quick. Personally I don't bother with it. I figure I already put enough time/money into being a volunteer and I HATE text messaging and have it shut down on all of the phones I have.

Forum Member

We just switched to this and it is a godsend. Many times the pager won't go off or will be garbled, depending on where you are or what type of building you're in.

We're also looking at a system like at www.IamResponding.com so we'll know who we've got coming and whether to wait on a crew or go ahead and roll.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use both. I have had my cell phone added three times over the last five years and I have yet to receive a text. Text will only work if you have cell phone service. (if using cell phones) I will always relie on my minitor and radios before my cell for text.

Good luck. I hope it works for your department.

MembersZone Subscriber

we have this in place as a backup incase the paging system goes down. the only problem i can see is this is not a emergency services designated service. if for example verizon towers are busy with traffic the text may be delayed by a few minutes to a few hours. I know there are times i get messages 30min to an hour after the person sends them.

Thread Information