Thread: throat mic ??

Forum Member

Default throat mic ??

for those who used or use them...any suggestions for make and model? how well do they work?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Throat Mic

Quote Originally Posted by alducks View Post
    for those who used or use them...any suggestions for make and model? how well do they work?
    I've used them before in minor applications. I've used them for brush fires and EMS response. I'm not tactical in anyway, so if you are looking for info as far as Police and SWAT use, can't tell you much about how they work in that area. This website at the bottom of this post has some good ones. I've ordered two from there, and they both work great. Never had a problem with either. If you are not LE, but still are looking for something that is out of the way, but still fits in your ear, I would suggest surefire's earpro line of tactical com's gear. You still get the same thing that you would get out of a throat mic, but without the hastle of wearing around your neck.

Throat Mic Pros and Cons....very short list, from my use with them.

Pros-You are the only one that can hear the transmission on the recieve end, so if you are in a situation that you don't want other people to hear what you are getting on the radio, they don't.

It's nice, because you don't have to worry about pulling the mic around to talk in it, it's where it needs to be all the time. And the PTT button can be attached to the front of your shirt, so there is no hunting for it.

If you are in a loud area, then the earpiece helps you hear SO much better, because it's direct into the ear canal, and does not have to travel through the air to get to you.

CONS-If you have a partner, and he doesn't have a in ear piece, then it defeats the purpose of keeping it quiet on your end, because they will just hear it through you partner's mic.

If you are looking for something quick to put on, and get in place, you might pick something else. It's not a real time consuming process, but if you want the wires that come with it to stay out of the way, you will need to place the wires in your shirt, and it's hard to keep them in place.

If you are looking to wear for a 12 hour shift or longer, it's really going to start to wear on your neck. It can get a little uncomfortable.

Also, YOU are the only one to hear the transmission, although this may be a good thing, it can also be bad. So keep that in mind. If you are EMS and have to get breath sounds or use a pair of "ears" then you will have to take your earpiece out, and thus, won't be able to hear radio traffic, until you put the earpiece back in.

Haz-mat guys can use this too, but they were made with LE and military guys in mind. If you are EMS, it can work, but there are better com's systems out there you might like better. If you are a Fire Fighter, and want to use this with your bunker gear with a SCBA on...bad idea. WAY TOO many wires to get in the way, and get hung on something, and there is no way to hide the wires without creating voids in you gear. Some of this stuff is really expensive, so I would think about what you really want to use it for. Also, if you are just using this thing on an EMS unit, or just everyday Fire Fighter stuff......you are going to get made fun of HARD, haha. Just keep that in mind.

http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts
    www.clearercom.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by alducks View Post
    For what application? We have them for haz-mat "in suit coms" with oversized inline PTT buttons. For this they work fairly well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill View Post
    . Also, if you are just using this thing on an EMS unit, or just everyday Fire Fighter stuff......you are going to get made fun of HARD, haha. Just keep that in mind.

http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts
    www.clearercom.com

thanks--I'm pretty much getting used to being made fun of by now...being twice as old as most of the station members...

looking to use one for Fire ground ops while in SCBA. Main concern is quality of sound of the mic.

Thread Information