I posted a while back about an article I found on new social media and its application in the emergency services industry, while I was researching the subject. I found the article on the website of a company that hosts a podcast for the View Royal Fire Department in Victoria, British Columbia. I have been keeping up with this company, called DailySplice Technologies, and thought I would let everyone know about an upcoming webinar the company will be hosting. It looks like a good intro for First Responders looking to improve communication through new social media, but are new to the whole subject.

Here is the e-mail I recieved:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the past few years, social media has revolutionized the way citizens communicate with each other. But social media is not just a fun way for people to share their thoughts and ideas, it is a powerful tool for government and emergency services to reach millions of people. This webinar will demonstrate how government and emergency services participate in the conversation using three important forms of social media; Microblogging (Twitter), Social Web Spaces (Facebook), and Podcasting (DailySplice).

Social Media for Emergency and Disaster Management: A Crash Course
Wednesday August 19, 2009
1:00 - 1:30 PM Pacific Time (4:00 4:30 PM Eastern Time)

Space is limited. Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/210207298

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently researching new social media in our industry for my superiors, so if anyone has any info, news or feedback it would be much appreciated.

I've also been doing this research for a while, so I can help with any questions...