Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Snorkel / Tele-Squrt

Hey All,

Did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I heard that Tele-Squrt devices are no longer being manufactured. My company currently runs a 1998 65' Tele-Squrt out first on all building fires. before that we had a 1976 50' Tele-Squrt. I was just curious to see whether there was any truth to Snorkel / Tele-Squrt being out of buisness or bought out. Thanks!

Forum Member

American LaFrance now owns the Snorkel/Telesquirt labels.

The last Snorkel was built in the 1990's. Don't know about Tele-Squirt, but my guess is they are no longer available.

C6

Command6 is correct. ALF owns all the naming and production rights to the Snorkel product line.

I have never heard that they won't build them anymore, but I have heard that if you want one it has to be on an ALF chassis.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

At work, we have an '04 Pierce Enforcer with a 65' Americal Lafrance Tele-Squrt up top.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

The 04 Squirt is the newest one I've heard of. Ther just aren't that many out there.

I am painfully aware of the Snorkel line. The last I spoke with an engineer at ALF was about 2 years ago, and to the best of my recollection, he told me:

ALF only built a handful of Snorkel's after the acquisition. The date of last production escapes me, but I want to say 2002.

I'm curious if your dept has compared the cost vs. increased ISO points associated of a straight stick equipped with a pre-piped waterway and the Squirt.

Contact someone at this department who took delivery of a Telesquirt:

http://www.americanlafrance.com/inte...=21&nd=1&x=659

ALF was completing a handful of Telesqurts a year prior to their bankruptcy filing. They never really marketed the Telesqurt very hard and would not build any more Snorkels. A department in PA or NY took delivery of the last one produced.

Truthfully, Pierce sold more Telesqurt product than ALF ever did.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. The way it sounds, the department next town over from me might have bought one of the last Snorkels made - a 2002 Pierce 85' Snorkel.

MembersZone Subscriber

The trend in this area, at least with the 54' articulated squrts, is to remove, refurb, and rechassis them. Cherry Hill and Pennsauken just did 3, Burlington Township is about to do thiers on a 2010 Velocity chassis.

I know Burlington Township wanted an all around new one, but LaFrance wouldn't sell the boom to Pierce, and god-forbid BTFD buys anything other then a Pierce. (not that I would get a LaFrance... guess I can't blame them)
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    I know Burlington Township wanted an all around new one, but LaFrance wouldn't sell the boom to Pierce, and god-forbid BTFD buys anything other then a Pierce. (not that I would get a LaFrance... guess I can't blame them)
    I remember housing that truck. Rather have the Mack!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squad50FF View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The way it sounds, the department next town over from me might have bought one of the last Snorkels made - a 2002 Pierce 85' Snorkel.
    Seems like I remember in my conversation with the ALF engineers that they told me the last Snorkel did go to a FD in PA.

Ours was an 85-footer as well.

You know, I like the concept of the Crimson Boomer as an alternative to the Telesquirt; it just needs to be longer than 28 feet.
    CP
    Last edited by Command6; 08-12-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Forum Member

As far as new snorkels go, there will be at least 3 more built. Chicago just sent out to bid an order to replace their 3 snorkels. I have no info on if anyone has bid so far, or who it was even sent to. If I can find out, I'll pass it along.

I don't know if the manufacturer will do this on a "just-this-one-time" basis, but I'd imagine if they get enough other departments inquiring about a purchase...they'd be dumb to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by laddertruckgoes View Post
    and god-forbid BTFD buys anything other then a Pierce.
    You do know that you used your out-loud voice again, dont you?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Hey All,

Did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I heard that Tele-Squrt devices are no longer being manufactured. My company currently runs a 1998 65' Tele-Squrt out first on all building fires. before that we had a 1976 50' Tele-Squrt. I was just curious to see whether there was any truth to Snorkel / Tele-Squrt being out of buisness or bought out. Thanks!
    If you want a Tele-Squrt see your favorite OEM the Tele-Squrt product can be built on any OEM. ALF went back to selling to OEM in the middle of last year.

Chief1ff
    Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You do know that you used your out-loud voice again, dont you?
    Never said it was a bad thing... and it's nothing I haven't said to any and all of them either. Not a Pierce fan... you can certainly get a better truck cheaper elsewhere but to each thier own. Not my tax money!

The Mack/Pierce Squrt is a cherry piece. No matter what they get, it will never live up to what it's replacing.
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post
    If you want a Tele-Squrt see your favorite OEM the Tele-Squrt product can be built on any OEM. ALF went back to selling to OEM in the middle of last year.

Chief1ff
    Mark
    Now if they'd just do that for LTI platforms?

Forum Member

Does that mean you can, for example, buy a Pierce or a Seagrave with a Tele-Squrt device? I'm not quite sure I understand what OEM means. Lol. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Now if they'd just do that for LTI platforms?
    Don't we all!!!

Well everyone except 807

Forum Member

Does that mean you can, for example, buy a Pierce or a Seagrave with a Tele-Squrt device? I'm not quite sure I understand what OEM means. Lol. Thanks
    Correct! Who exactly they agreed to do this with I am not sure!

Thumbs up

I saw a Rosenbauer add the other day and they had their own takes on a strick watertower and a smaller, I believe 60 foot ladder with a piped waterway so if your looking spefically for a tele-squirt or squirt and don't want a american la chance take a look in to Rosenbauer
    These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Default Telesquirts/Snorkels

We went through the process of evaluating purchasing a squirt for the past two years. We looked at used ones, and new. What I have seen from companies like Philly FD is that they almost always remount their snorkels and squirts. Cherry Hill, NJ FD also just completed a remount recently. Articulated seems to give you more placement option, but also has some additional training over the straight boom. Snozzle makes a really nice boom and you can get it on what ever flavor chassis you prefer. West Chester, PA and Bristol Myers/Squibb have them. West Chester Here's the link to their site:
    http://snozzle.com/
    We decided to go with a used aerialscope instead. The cost of a snozzle was out of our reach at the time. Snozzle does some neat stuff with the piercing nozzle and boom camera. But we felt the scope would better suit our current and future needs.

Thread Information