Forum Member

Default Anone work this type of Schedule?

Members of our department are doing a study to consider a change to our shift schedule. I would like to hear from my brothers and sisters who work a 48hr on/96hr off schedule what they think about it. I want to hear both positive and negative views and reasons behind those views please.

We currently work a nine day schedule: D-1 on, D-2 off,D-3 on, D-4 off, D-5 on, Ds-6-7-8-9 off.

We are looking at changing to D-1-2 on, D-3-4-5-6 off.

I would appreciate any views on this. Please either post in this thread or e-mail me at firebuck102@yahoo.com

Your Fraternal Brother,

Dirk "Buck" Protzman
    Secretary, IAFF Local 671
    Jefferson City Professional Firefighters

Forum Member

My department works a 24/48 schedule, and I can tell you from working plenty of OT, that at the end of the second tour, you're exhausted, particularly if you've been running. Also, being confined to the same building for two straight days flat out sucks.

Honestly, I don't see a benefit to working 48 hour shifts. If your department switched to that schedule, I would imagine many firefighters would get burnt out.

What's the average call volume for your stations? There's the concern of unfairly burdening the crews at your busier stations. For example, on E-6, we average 8 calls a day, and E-13 down the road averages ten or more. Other Columbia stations are lucky to run 2 or 3 calls in a day, many of which are alarms. So, if your schedule does change, I would recommend setting up a crew rotation, so you mitigate this problem.

Good Luck,

Dave

Forum Member

Thanks for replying. Our stations have a varying call load, Station 1(busiest) runs 10-15 calls per shift/day and Station 5 (slowest) runs 3-7. Stations 2-3-4 are in between those numbers.
    Thats the type of response I am looking for. We are discussing station rotations and what time length to be assigned to a station.
    Some suggestions have us working up to 9 cycles then rotate to next company, others are rotate each cycle. I think a happy medium could be found somewhere in between so that some semi-permanence could be achieved without getting total burn-out. Our busiest station has two companies (engine and ladder) so some suggest spending the first half of a 48 hr shift on engine, and second half on the ladder and changing it around the next cycle.

Your Fraternal Brother
    Dirk "Buck" Protzman

Forum Member

Default Schedule

My Dept. went to that schedule about a year ago. We were working a 24on 48off. now we work a 48on 96off. Let me tell ya a lot of guys did not want to do it, but now that we have it everyone likes it. 96hrs off to spend time with the fam, or work around the house..... I work for a busy 500,000 pop city and 48 hrs on is not all that long. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

24/72 are getting very common around here but we are still on the classic northeast 3 days on 3 off 3 nights on 3 off.............. All i could say is your new proposal seems a lot easier for life management and you only have to drive to work once a week.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

Try this site: www.48-96.com

This has been discussed on FH.com a lot maybe two years ago. Sounded like a decent shift for those travelling much or in heavy traffic areas as it cuts down the number of commutes. We run 8-12 runs a day on the 24/48 shift and cannot see how our Bone Bus guys would make it on 48 hrs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firebuck102 View Post
    Thanks for replying. Our stations have a varying call load, Station 1(busiest) runs 10-15 calls per shift/day and Station 5 (slowest) runs 3-7. Stations 2-3-4 are in between those numbers.
    Thats the type of response I am looking for. We are discussing station rotations and what time length to be assigned to a station.
    Some suggestions have us working up to 9 cycles then rotate to next company, others are rotate each cycle. I think a happy medium could be found somewhere in between so that some semi-permanence could be achieved without getting total burn-out. Our busiest station has two companies (engine and ladder) so some suggest spending the first half of a 48 hr shift on engine, and second half on the ladder and changing it around the next cycle.

Your Fraternal Brother
    Dirk "Buck" Protzman
    My good friend Works with you guys. My dept does not work the 48-96 we work what you work but a lot of St. Louis County depts. have switched and they love it. Even from what I have heard is they guys that didn't want to do it love it now. But I think it has to be done the right way. Most of them do it as your first day is your work day or weekday where they do training and inspections and all that stuff. Then the second day is a weekend day all they do is there house work and run calls check equipment and stuff like that. Some depts. even let their guys sleep in.

Forum Member

Yeah if the first night is hell then the capt is usually cool with a lighter 2nd day of work. but its a great schedule take a shift off and get 10 days off gotta love that!!!

Thread Information