Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Essentials of Fire Fighting Text Books

Does anyone know if there are major differences between the Essentials of Firefighting 4th and 5th editions? I just purchased the 4th edition a few months agojust to read, and then found out that my class this fall is requiring the 5th edition.

Thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa442 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are major differences between the Essentials of Firefighting 4th and 5th editions? I just purchased the 4th edition a few months agojust to read, and then found out that my class this fall is requiring the 5th edition.

Thanks
    Oh heck. You don't need books!!! Heck no one ever put out a fire with a book!!! OK, sarcasm off.

Typically the changes from one edition to the next are small. Ask the bigger question, will you actually use the book? And since you have already bought the 4th edition, I would use it. I bought a used version for my computer forensics class, it was one version behind. The biggest change was that often the page numbers didn't match up. Sometimes the laws have changed or they new book offers newer techniques, tools and utilities. Compared to IT, the fire service changes occur at a snails pace. You will be just fine with the older book.

More importantly is to listen to the Educator and get involved in the actual exercises.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa442 View Post

Thanks

In my opinion you need to get the updated version. There is a reason why they came out with a new version so you probably need to get it. Yes the changes might be small but they are changes. Especially if you instructor will be giving a lot of info out of the book and they tell you “according to page 102…..” but since your book is older it may not be the same page they are referring to. Just spend the money and get the new one.

When I went to EMT school we were required to get “Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, 9th edition” by the American Academy of Pediatrics. I already had the 8th edition and asked if I could just use that and they told me I had to buy the new one. When I did I noticed several things that were missing, added and not in the same place as the older book.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    In my opinion you need to get the updated version. There is a reason why they came out with a new version
    Yes. Money.

And pages and pages of ridiculous hose rolls that you will never use.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    Yes. Money.

And pages and pages of ridiculous hose rolls that you will never use.
    He will be able to "wow" them at the next muster with his vast knowledge in the art of hose rolling!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Double check with your local instructors to be sure but . . .

As an instructor here in VA - it is my understanding that the latest changes to the Firefighter I & II curricula have been very extensive (at least for us).

Previously - Haz-Mat Awareness was a co-requisite for FF-I certification but taught as a separate course. Now it has been changed to the larger Haz-Mat Operations course and will be included within FF-I.

Also - they are now going to include some portions of Firefighter Mayday & Self Rescue in FF-I

As I said before - try and check with your local folks and see if you're in the same boat.

O.K. - this is a paired down response - for some reason these stupid ***** forum software won;t let me post 1 specific paragraph from my response. Truly Odd.
    Last edited by N2DFire; 08-12-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

To get the Hazmat & EMS Awareness sections included in Edition 5, you have to buy the expanded version. Retail price is around $74, but they can be bought for a little less. I recently bought 20 copies @ $66.60 each, no freight. I suspect that even lower pricing can be found by shopping around.

Thread Information