Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Getting ready to start training next month

Hey, I'm new to the site. So far, there's a lot of helpful information here. I'm about to start next month, and was looking for any PT training info to get ready. Been running a few miles every other day, and hitting the gym on those days. Any pointers? Also is the Bunker/Turn-out gear needed from day one? Thanks.

Forum Member

What school are you going to? I tell you about the FSFC if your going there.

Best of luck

Forum Member

yea I was reading your other thread that was pretty informative. I'm going to Citrus county fire training.

Forum Member

Its not about how much iron you pump at the gym...

CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO!!!! The best thing you can do at this point because air comsumption and stamina are a huge factor in this field.

Try to borrow a full set of gear and airpack some place and if you can't see if you can check one out from your academy and do Air Comsumption Drills on a regular basis. This will see where you are at with your cardio.

Forum Member

King,

I would call your school and ask if you need your gear the first day, I would guess probably not on the first day.

Like firemedic said cardio is huge, I would also work on your sit ups, push ups, front lean position, core ect.

Not sure how Citrus runs their pt, but when I say push ups be ready to do lots and lots, one morning for pt all we did was different variations of push ups, I lost count after about 900 or so, same goes for sit ups and flutter kicks, jumping jacks and the "Bear Crawl" ect.

For running, interval training will help your speed and endurance, there's really good work outs at runnersworld.com, I would also get used to running in your bunker gear so get some good inserts for your running shoes and bunker boots. Running in full gear in the hot sun is not fun!!!!

There are some works outs at
    http://www.nationalguard.com/fitness...459&p=1&a=true

I hope this helped some and I wish you the best of luck!!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    Its not about how much iron you pump at the gym...
    CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO!!!! The best thing you can do at this point because air comsumption and stamina are a huge factor in this field.
    Try to borrow a full set of gear and airpack some place and if you can't see if you can check one out from your academy and do Air Comsumption Drills on a regular basis. This will see where you are at with your cardio.
    Thanks fire...I'll put more time into the cardio. On average I do about 2 miles every other day. And even that is a little rough for me at times. I don't have access to gear, but I'll follow up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdelete View Post
    King,
    I would call your school and ask if you need your gear the first day, I would guess probably not on the first day.
    Like firemedic said cardio is huge, I would also work on your sit ups, push ups, front lean position, core ect.
    Not sure how Citrus runs their pt, but when I say push ups be ready to do lots and lots, one morning for pt all we did was different variations of push ups, I lost count after about 900 or so, same goes for sit ups and flutter kicks, jumping jacks and the "Bear Crawl" ect.
    For running, interval training will help your speed and endurance, there's really good work outs at runnersworld.com, I would also get used to running in your bunker gear so get some good inserts for your running shoes and bunker boots. Running in full gear in the hot sun is not fun!!!!

There are some works outs at
    http://www.nationalguard.com/fitness...459&p=1&a=true

I hope this helped some and I wish you the best of luck!!!
    I'm sorry, did you say 900. lol. . .wow. I can do a lot of pushups, or so i thought til I read that. I'll definately need to step up my routine. start in 2 weeks. Think it just hit me. Thanks for the info guys. What week are you in ctrlaltdlt?

Forum Member

King,

I'm entering week six, we had to do push ups for an hour during morning PT, and the goal was 1,000 which we did but I was so tired that I lost count, it was funny I couldn't get up using my arms, I was stuck in the left lateral recovery position. It sounds like a lot but you'll see that you'll be doing 100's during the day due to not listening ect!

During that day we didn't just do straight push ups, we were doing variations of them, like burpies which incorporate a push up in them, spidermans ect.

Same goes for sit ups you do variations!

You'll see that after a week you'll be stronger and sore and by the next week even stronger and sore and so on.

Just don't over train your self before you go! Give your body some rest time

Keep us posted on your progress, are you by any chance an EMT?

Forum Member

lol that sounds like a Belger day
    FTM-PTB.EGH.RFB.KTF.DTRT

Forum Member

Are you sure its 900? I have seen people in the very best of shape that cant even get but half of that...not saying your wrong but that seems excessive.

Forum Member

King,
    I'm entering week six, we had to do push ups for an hour during morning PT, and the goal was 1,000 which we did but I was so tired that I lost count, it was funny I couldn't get up using my arms, I was stuck in the left lateral recovery position. It sounds like a lot but you'll see that you'll be doing 100's during the day due to not listening ect!
    During that day we didn't just do straight push ups, we were doing variations of them, like burpies which incorporate a push up in them, spidermans ect.
    Same goes for sit ups you do variations!
    You'll see that after a week you'll be stronger and sore and by the next week even stronger and sore and so on.
    Just don't over train your self before you go! Give your body some rest time
    Keep us posted on your progress, are you by any chance an EMT?
    I'll definantly keep updating this thread or start a new one. No not an emt yet. In fact supposedly this is the last class they'll allow without an EMT-B cert. The plan was to do that after, so that I can do both that and volunteer, and hopefully by the time i'm done, I'll be that much closer to employment.

Forum Member

Forgot to ask ctrlaltdlt, how much did you pay to rent ur bunker/turnout gear? i assume by week 3 or 4 you had to get it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffra305 View Post
    lol that sounds like a Belger day
    The one and only! He is a machine, he's the only person that I think could make Chuck Norris cry!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingGuardian View Post
    Forgot to ask ctrlaltdlt, how much did you pay to rent ur bunker/turnout gear? i assume by week 3 or 4 you had to get it?
    King I bought my gear from a place in Georgia ($1600), not including boots and helmet, we needed ours by the second week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    Are you sure its 900? I have seen people in the very best of shape that cant even get but half of that...not saying your wrong but that seems excessive.
    I'm sure, that was the captains goal, I personally lost my form but keeped doing them until I was told to stop, so I guess you could say that due to form they weren't corrected push-ups. That's all we did for the whole hour of PT.

During other days we due them in counts of 20-25 and that adds up quickly. one example was you did 5 push ups, 5 sit ups, 5 squats would equal 1 set and you goal was to see how many you could do in 20 minutes. Most people average about 50-60 set so your up to 250-300 push ups in 20 minutes. Than it was off to due the bear crawl.

Forum Member

King,

Just wondering how your doing with training?

Forum Member

King,

Just wondering how your doing with training?
    Well I only had the first responder course last week, since I don't have my emt-b. So I technically start monday. . .Hows things going for you? when do you graduate?

Forum Member

King,

I graduate Oct 2nd! First responder was really cool, Captain Alsup made it really interesting, got me pumped for EMT class in January at CFCC.

Just remember to keep a positive mind set! And did you find gear?

Forum Member

King,

How was your first week?

Forum Member

Hey sorry I been mia. . . hella busy, but week 4 is about to begin. lost a lot of people from the start day. about 12 gone, but we're holding pretty strong now. they are whoopin me into shape. I thought i was pretty prepared, but definantly not. I'm loving it everyday tho. its hard to balance the lecture/schoolwork with the physical tho. . .and exams everyday are a killer, but i'm still in the higher percentile of the class. Hows things on your end?

Forum Member

King,

Things are going good, week and half till graduation. Man your days sound like ours! It's tough, but in the end it will be rewarding! I'm currently studying the old chapters of our essentials book to prepare for the state exam, funny how you forget things so quick because your mind is being crammed with so much other information!

Keep me posted!

Thread Information