Thread: Policy Question

Forum Member

Default Policy Question

If I'm in school on my time, but it's paid for by the dept, and personnel are being paid OT for me and others to be in this same school on our duty days, can I be disciplined if I drink a few beers during class breaks? Apparently word has made it back to the department and we are in trouble. I say it was my time not theirs. Who is right? Is anything written anywhere?

MembersZone Subscriber

The FD is paying for you to go to school and covering you while you're gone. It's their investment and their time.

Forum Member

Even on the days that were not my duty day? I know they are paying for me to be in school, but if I wasn't in class I normally wouldn't even be working that day.

Forum Member

Two views...

Are you representing your department by attending this class.. If so then I feel that this is not the image that you or the public needs to perceive of you or any firefighter.

I assume that they are giving you time for this class through "Administrative Leave--with pay" and if so then you are bound to any and all disiplinary actions and rules of employment. This is probably what would get you in trouble.
    William C. Allison II
    Fire Captain
    Tazewell County Fire-Rescue

Forum Member

No pay or leave for the days we attend, unless it's a duty day then they allow us to leave for class and they pay someone OT to work in our place. When I finish the class I will be eligible for promotion and get incentive pay. I know they've made accomodations for us to go and they are paying for it, but I just don't see the big deal in drinking a few beers during class breaks when it's a day I wouldn't even be on duty. The school didn't like it, but what has the department got to do with it. It's my off day. I wasn't wearing department clothes. I was attending a class that would eventually get me incentive pay and be necessary for promotion, but I wasn't on school property or fire department property. I just don't get the big deal.

MembersZone Subscriber

So, let me see if I have this straight. Your FD is paying for you to go to school. They are even being kind enough to arrange for you to have the time off to complete your courses on your shift. They're doing this so you can benefit by getting promoted and incentive pay.

You and your fellow students have decided that between classes (as in, before a class) it's OK to go out and have a few beers.

If you don't see the problem they're having here, I don't see how you're mature or responsible enough to even consider promoting.

The fact that you're not on FD time, as in "on duty" is irrelevant. The fact that they take education seriously enough to pay your way through school and to allow you time off to complete your studies is enough to dedicate yourself to your studies. They're paying for it, they have every right to establish parameters on what you do during that time.

Drinking beer between classes is what a full-time college student/partier does, not a career firefighter who's trying to improve himself. What's worse is that you and your buddies could very well ruin the program for those that come after you, but I doubt you're able to see that, as you're too worried about being able to drink beer between classes.

Forum Member

That's a good point, I didn't really see the big picture. Thanks for your honesty.

Forum Member

you are getting paid! that means if they need you they might just call on you to go reg. duty, hows that gonna look if you've had a couple? just my 2 cents.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dtruelove View Post
    That's a good point, I didn't really see the big picture. Thanks for your honesty.
    No problem. I'm glad you see the big picture now. At least there's hope for you.

Thread Information