Default Age Limitation Help

Hello everyone. I'm 37 years old & live in Westchester County NY. I'm interested in becoming a career firefighter but have been told conflicting things regarding the age limitations. Some fire departments HR personal have told me that I'm too old and to forget it. Westchester County HR Personal have told me that there is NO age limitation. Does anyone know the correct answer? I would even be willing to go up to Dutchess or Putnam County.

Thank You
    DB37521p

I like milk...

Some department put a cap on age but no there is not age limit. Just test for the departments you meet the requirements for. Just keep testing till you get it.

And for this knowledge I ask that you only start testing after I get hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DB37521p View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm 37 years old & live in Westchester County NY. I'm interested in becoming a career firefighter but have been told conflicting things regarding the age limitations. Some fire departments HR personal have told me that I'm too old and to forget it. Westchester County HR Personal have told me that there is NO age limitation. Does anyone know the correct answer? I would even be willing to go up to Dutchess or Putnam County.

Thank You
    DB37521p
    I was thinking that the State of New York has a age limit due to the pension system.

I would ask the HR and be govern by what they say.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most places that have age caps are not really caps. They are more of a guide for this: Our mandatory retirement age is say 57. We will not accept under 37, because you need 20 good years to retire. if you come in at 38, you will never retire. There are many places though that have no maximum age to start, or maximum age to retirement. There was a retired captain from a nearby city that retired at like 52, and then tested and successfully got employed as a firefighter for another city about 50 miles away. Proof positive that it can be done!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Thread Information