Forum Member

Default Phoenix Crash, Captain seriously hurt

First of all, thoughts and prayer to the captain. Hoping for a quick and full recovery! From what Ive heard she was critically injured and still is in critical condition. Hopefully the next thing we hear about the captain is something good

second, I hope the injured civilians have a quick recovery.

From all that I've heard the Engine was doing everything right and some idiot ran a red traffic light and hit them. Regardless of what happened all I'm going to say is, be alert. Even though we are doing everything right doesn't mean the idiots around us are.

Forum Member

Good post. If we had a dollar for every idiot we see on the road on a daily basis... I think we could retire comfortably!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yes, hopefully a fast recovery with no long term effects. Hopefully the Capt and all involved will be o.k. Keep the faith for our brothers and sisters!

Back In Black

Get better soon!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Good post. If we had a dollar for every idiot we see on the road on a daily basis... I think we could retire comfortably!

not only that, we'd have enough more to put a fire house on every street corner.

Forum Member

Hoping for a speedy recovery for the Captain.

Not to take away from this but it almost happened to us this morning. I was pulling away from a 4 way stop sign and noticed a car not slowing down. The guy was oblivious to the fact that he just blew a stop.

It can happen anywhere or anytime. Be careful people.
    IAFF

Forum Member

The most recent news articles seemed to be pretty optimistic....hopefully she makes a fast and full recovery.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Unhappy

http://www.kpho.com/news/20352737/detail.html

PHOENIX -- A captain with the Phoenix Fire Department is in critical condition after she was ejected from a fire engine that was responding to an emergency call.

* 5 Investigates: Does Rule Slow 911 Response Times?

Ten people were either treated at the scene of the 11-vehicle crash or taken to the hospital, Phoenix police officers said.

At about 6 p.m. Monday, the engine truck was passing through the intersection at Interstate 17 and Dunlap Avenue when a sedan crashed into the side of the emergency vehicle.

Witnesses said the engine did have its lights and sirens activated.

"This could have been avoided if people paid attention to what they were doing," said Robert Candeleria, who was behind the wheel of one of the eight cars that was ultimately involved in the crash.

Candeleria also said that he was the one who first noticed the captain had been ejected from the truck. He said he alerted other firefighters immediately.

"She was face down, she was unconscious and there was a little bit of blood. I didn't see it until they rolled her over," he said.

Police investigators at the scene could not immediately determine if the captain was wearing a seat belt inside the fire engine.

Perhaps the only lucky circumstance of the collision was its location. John C. Lincoln North hospital is less than a mile away from the scene of the crash.

"At one point I understand she was conscious at the hospital, that's a great sign and it gives us all hope," said Phoenix police detective James Holmes.

The 49-year-old fire captain is being treated for a head injury, police said.

The 23-year-old driver of the vehicle that struck the fire engine was also hospitalized in critical condition, police said.

Get better soon Capt..

Forum Member

Preliminary reports were the civilian car was exiting the freeway and hit the Engine around the front right tire at around 65 mph. Pushed the front axle about 3 feet out the left side of the Engine. The Engine then veered left and hit about 7-8 other cars that were stopped. Pretty hard impact. The captain is holding her own, still on the vent but no setbacks or complications. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We're all praying for a full recovery. Crystal is a pretty tough girl, and a good firefighter and captain.

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad to hear she is doing ok....here's hoping for a very speedy recovery.

She is in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    not only that, we'd have enough more to put a fire house on every street corner.
    We're not to far off from that in the county I live in.

Seriously though, hope all involved recover quickly.

Forum Member

Alright. I'll be "that guy" and say it.

First, my prayers for the injured and the crew.

Now, an observation. The Captain was ejected. This usually means no seat belt. It hasn't been addressed by the PFD yet as to whether she WAS or not.

Also, the Engine was struck by 4 cars on the RIGHT side as it cleared an Intersection, not just the 1 where the 23 year old vic was driving. 3 others slammed into her.

Seems like somebody blew a red.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by popknot View Post

Now, an observation. The Captain was ejected. This usually means no seat belt. It hasn't been addressed by the PFD yet as to whether she WAS or not.

Also, the Engine was struck by 4 cars on the RIGHT side as it cleared an Intersection, not just the 1 where the 23 year old vic was driving. 3 others slammed into her.

While your at it, can you give me the mega-millions numbers?

Do you read palms or tarot cards too?

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    While your at it, can you give me the mega-millions numbers?

Do you read palms or tarot cards too?

Chief KN...
    You forgot tea leaves and crystal balls....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Nope, can't do neither.

But I live in AZ and saw the aerial footage of the wreck. The engine was crossing in front of the freeway off-ramp. The cars that struck the engine were all on the right side. 4 cars. not 1.

We do have a problem with red light runners, but not usually 4 at a time and not usually into an lit up engine.

The engine wasn't pushed into other cars, it was almost hit by at least 4 cars, all on the right side.

BTW the engine was moved 3 feet to the left, and didn't roll. I've never seen someone fly out from under a seat belt where the vehicle didn't roll at least once.

Beside the fact that this incident occurred in the city of "St. Phoenix, the Infallible", the data points to an unbuckled Captain and an Engineer that blew a red light.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Happened in my dept in the 80's.

Blame would have gone to the civilian that got hit by our engine, except one of our dispatchers saw the incident from behind and testified that there were never any brake lights on the engine as it blew through two red light intersections, hit the nose of a civilian car and rolled 1.5 times. (nobody hurt, but the nooby that was unbuckled got 3 shifts off w/o pay. As did the Lt that was driving, speeding, blew lights, hit a car and lied about the cause- he got the same punishment and was promoted.

Oh, well.

Forum Member

Nope, can't do neither.

But I live in AZ and saw the aerial footage of the wreck. The engine was crossing in front of the freeway off-ramp. The cars that struck the engine were all on the right side. 4 cars. not 1.

We do have a problem with red light runners, but not usually 4 at a time and not usually into an lit up engine.

The engine wasn't pushed into other cars, it was almost hit by at least 4 cars, all on the right side.

BTW the engine was moved 3 feet to the left, and didn't roll. I've never seen someone fly out from under a seat belt where the vehicle didn't roll at least once.

Beside the fact that this incident occurred in the city of "St. Phoenix, the Infallible", the data points to an unbuckled Captain and an Engineer that blew a red light.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Happened in my dept in the 80's.

Blame would have gone to the civilian that got hit by our engine, except one of our dispatchers saw the incident from behind and testified that there were never any brake lights on the engine as it blew through two red light intersections, hit the nose of a civilian car and rolled 1.5 times. (nobody hurt, but the nooby that was unbuckled got 3 shifts off w/o pay. As did the Lt that was driving, speeding, blew lights, hit a car and lied about the cause- he got the same punishment and was promoted.

Oh, well.
    Hooray for unsubstantiated claims and anecdotal evidence! Why should we even have Safety divisions? We can just call up the internet know it alls to tell us what happened with their evidence being a snapshot! Woohoo! Man you are one brilliant individual.

BTW, do you mean this aerial coverage? You know, the one with the cars the rig hit AFTER the initial collision with the 1 car at the intersection?
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 08-13-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Forum Member

Yes, it would seem as such, but I guess we'll have to wait until that info is released. I know I've had a couple instances in which I thought my seatbelt was fully latched, but wasn't. Thankfully I didn't have to discover that the hard way.

Sure, but unless something's changed since the initial story I saw posted on here, it stated that witnessed reported that the civilian ran the red light and struck the fire apparatus, which then traveled into the other cars.

MembersZone Subscriber

It has happened to me on multiple trucks, and even my POV.

Get in the car, buckle up, the latch "clicks", the seatbelt light goes off, start driving. Down the line I hit the brake, slide forward in my seat and the seatbelt comes out of the latch.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope, can't do neither.

You mean this picture:

Lets do some monday morning quarterbacking:

Michelle Miller with the Phoenix Fire Department said the fire engine was responding to a house fire at 5:59 p.m. and was traveling eastbound on Dunlap Avenue, through the intersection at I-17.

At approximately 6:04 p.m., a sedan traveling northbound reportedly struck the fire engine, hitting the apparatus near the fire captain's door.

The truck was propelled to the left by the force of the collision and ended up over the median into the westbound lanes of Dunlap Avenue, according to Phoenix fire officials.
    So West is up, East is down, North is right, and South is left.

The engine was traveling eastbound (down) and was struck on the right side by a car going northbound (right).

The force of the impact propelled the engine to its left, over the median (some nice brake marks going from the east bound lane into the west bound lane), propelling it into oncoming traffic.

From looking at the traffic pattern in the picture it appears that both the Engine goint eastbound, and all these cars going westbound had a green light. If east/west has green lights, then usually north/south has the red.

NOTHING in this picture looks like a fire engine that tried to clear an intersection through a red light. That picture looks like it fits the description of the crash, as described by witnesses WHO WERE THERE, pretty good.
    Last edited by MarcusKspn; 08-14-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

I just had a thought looking at these aerial photos regarding the "ejection" of the Captain. I'm not sure where she was found, but could it be possible that she was buckled up, injured by the force of what appears to be multiple collisions, unbuckled, got out of the engine and then collapsed, thus giving the impression that she had been ejected?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I just had a thought looking at these aerial photos regarding the "ejection" of the Captain. I'm not sure where she was found, but could it be possible that she was buckled up, injured by the force of what appears to be multiple collisions, unbuckled, got out of the engine and then collapsed, thus giving the impression that she had been ejected?

That is entirely within the realm of possibilities... I have seen that at MVC's in the past.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Told you you wouldn't like what I was going to say.

Having seen the pics from a higher altitude puts them into context. The news footage was much closer, showed a tighter shot, and therefore, not in context.

Forum Member

Told you you wouldn't like what I was going to say.
    Having seen the pics from a higher altitude puts them into context. The news footage was much closer, showed a tighter shot, and therefore, not in context.

We didnt like it because you were wrong.

Im assuming this is the best you could do to take your foot out of your mouth?

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know how the Capt is doing now?

Forum Member

I hope I'm not violating the family's wishes but I know there are many brothers and sisters that Crystal haven't met yet that are concerned and praying for her. Crystal was released from ICU a day ago, and is still in the hospital. She likely will face a significant period of time, possibly months, in rehab. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. It'll be a long road but she's a tough gal, she'll make it.

Thread Information