Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default PA DCNR Conservation Grant

Is anyone else from PA writing this grant? Its due Friday, and it is by far the hardest grant I have EVER put together. Between the engineers study and the prevailing wage and the stimulus impact Im going insane. Add in all the stuff PA wants, and the ridiculous timeline....jeez.
    I did find out that we will cut our co2, so2, and nox levels by 3/4 and that our station is pretty much a black hole for energy consumption.
    Just waiting on the final contractor bid and I can fill out the $$$ pages.
    Sleep + nerves + hair = overrated.

Default You are right about being a tough grant

I have been woking over the last 2 weeks on putting it together. Until yesterday when I found out how much PV panels cost. To save 70% in electricity it would have cost us $900,000.00 to save 33% it would have cost us $500,000.00. So after seeing those numbers applying for the grant was off. The hardest part is the prevailing wage. That is what really increases the $$$. Hopefully the can offer more that $250,000.00 per applicant next time.

Forum Member

NOT worth the hurdles to jump through

Forum Member

Default finished

Well I finished the grant. Asking for $237,500 with a 5% match for a total of $250,000...the grant limit. You are right, the prevailing wage is a killer. With that said, $100,000 is just in wages. Guess thats why its a stimulus grant. We will realize 75% energy savings. Alot was done just by changing out every light in the building and putting in sensors. Drywall and insulation, New CoRayVac heating and boilers...
    By far the toughest grant I have ever written. It wasnt so much the narrative, just all the information and studies with engineers that we had to get. The layout of the grant was difficult also. Lots of downloads of documents. It was like an onion. Every time you peeled off one part of the grant, another download was waiting. It took me 2 hours to submit, as I couldnt find the submit button, but after reviewing the grant I found that you had to check off boxes, even after answering them, that you would send in a signed form...even though it was not downloadable and you knew you had to print, sign, and snail mail it. That was frustrating.
    Im happy though, and its done and submitted a day ahead of time. I know from all the programs and from Kurt....never wait till the last day.

Forum Member

Default No one

Guess Im one of the few who submitted.

It looked pretty daunting attck6 but, I guarantee you it was nto nealry as hard as doing a HOPEVI HUD grant. Your just too used to the relatively simple, in comparision, fire act grant applications. What I saw there was more typcial of what I used to see all the time in grants to the government.
    The volume sof information coming out regrading reporting, transparency and accountibility especially for ARRA grants is staggerring. I have not read this much government legalese in years.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I know of 1 or 2 that did, tough part on this one was getting the engineers in to do the study showing that there would be a 25% energy savings.

Forum Member

You got that right BC79er. It was tough to do with such a short timeframe. Kurt, I can only imagine the hoops that some of thoes other grants have you jump through.

Forum Member

Attack 6,

Do you have a link where I might find information on this grant for future reference?

Thanks.
    Ryan A. Zerbe
    Assistant Chief
    Womelsdorf Volunteer Fire Company
    Home of "Barney's Bandits" and the "Route 422 Express"
    www.womelsdorffire.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

https://www.grants.dcnr.state.pa.us/index.aspx

http://www.pa.gov/portal/server.pt/c..._agencies/3069

2nd one is the PA Department Index, so click on any of them and it will hit their home pages. Most have grants links right up front also.

Thread Information