Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #51
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Eat anything today muttonboy (comes from your sheep)? Perhaps you and the rest of the proletariat have benefited the the leftist's long running program of cheap "bread".

    You really don't know diddly about much, but certainly about geography or economics on the US. Next summer have your mommy take you on a driving vacation somewhere East of The Castro District. No Interstate, tourist traps, or chain fast food. The Midwest rural economy is very diversified and doing pretty well. Self supporting Despite Obama and his wackos.
    And with the crop subsidies that come to the rural areas courtesy of the US taxpayer. The majority of whom live in the urban areas.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  2. #52
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    President Bush was not the choice of Conservatives in 2000 but many were pleasantly surpised by his decent performance 9/12 and internationally. Perhaps you'll give the points to Dick Cheney. When you've found and met a conservative perhaps then you can preach on the subject.
    Then who was the conservatives choice, and why didn't they support that person in 2004?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Would that be the same vocal minority that represents the environmental movement and protest at the G8 summits? Would this be the same vocal minority that says some races are getting preferential treatment on things like standardized exams? Is this the same vocal minority that protested the Iraq war in the beginning?

    As fro the poll numbers, they keep slipping away. Obama will be a one and done and the Democrats will take a beating in the next election.
    Morris County, NJ is such an interesting place to live.

    I alao worked a security detail for a conference center where there was a meeting of a sub committee of the World Bank. These protestors were among the most vile, nasty people you would ever come across. They advocated strong violence and went so far as to attempt to break in to the conference center. Their projectile of choice was D batteries.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  4. #54
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Really? I'm sure you can link me to stories of town hall meetings being shut down by angry protestors. Or gun toting individuals bellyaching about tyranny and loss of freedom.

    Would love to reread them.

    The MMA ( as it was called) was signed into law in 2003. There were no protests or outrage of the magnitude we are seeing in the days leading up to its passage. Nor did we ever see the vocal opposition from anyone (conservatives or liberals) over the spending bills signed into law by the Bush Administration via a GOP majority congress. In fact, just one year later, conservatives were extolling Bush for his visionary leadership and pushing him towards re-election. I guess they had short memories on his socialistic agenda and encroaching tyranny.

    Lastly, the status quo with the health care issue in our society is not sustainable, and none of the opposition brings a viable alternative to the discussion. Only hyperbole.
    There was never an occassion where a conservative speaker was shouted down and chased out of a college lecture hall because the speakers' views were contrary to their own?

    There was never an anti-war protest where the protestors advicated a violent overthrow of the US Government?

    Pres. Bush's re-election effort was as much driven by his opponent as any other single factor. That much is indisputable.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  5. #55
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Been proven numerous times the opposite is true. Taxes are generated in the urban areas to subsidize rural areas.

    I listed several.
    Hurricane Katrina proved the dependency of the urbanites on the government. They wouldn't have taken a crap with someone from the gov't telling them (or paying them) to do it.

    Numerous natural disasters in rural areas, where neighbors help neighbors have proved the corollary.

    Your tax generation theory is seriously flawed. The greater Newark, NJ area would be a great example of your theory being dead wrong.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  6. #56
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Then who was the conservatives choice, and why didn't they support that person in 2004?
    Conservatives were shut out of the last election. There was such a backlash by people who bought into your parties "neo-con" BS that it ran over into the GOP.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  7. #57
    the 4-1-4
    Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    There was never an anti-war protest where the protestors advicated a violent overthrow of the US Government?
    Probably not. At least here they were too busy picking up their own sh*t, so they could throw their feces through the windows of US Army recruiting stations.
    Or, they were too busy slashing the tires of Republican party members who were driving elderly and disadvantaged people to vote, who had no transportation. (A US House of Representatives son, no less)

    And yes, I was being sarcastic; I know plenty of lefty protests here that wanted "regime change" for the US.

    That's all patriotic, but to ask questions about nationalizing health care is anti-American.

    I recently attended a town-hall forum here, on Wednesday 11 AUG 2009, in which the SEIU had members outright trying to intimidate anyone who carried an opposition sign, or in some way expressed opposition to Gwen Moore, the representative who held the forum.
    Absolutely disgusting, and it made me embarrassed to be a union member and a part of the AFL-CIO.

  8. #58
    the 4-1-4
    Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post

    Your tax generation theory is seriously flawed. The greater Newark, NJ area would be a great example of your theory being dead wrong.
    It's proven false here, as well. The city of Milwaukee draws almost 75% of it's annual operating budget from sources other than city property taxes. That means that shared revenue from the state of Wisconsin as well as the US Federal government is the primary source of funding for the city, itself.
    All city departments here are extremely dependent on grants and other "stimulus" funds from the Federal government.

  9. #59
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Though the President was in the vicinity,it seems to me to still be a local PD concern.Besides,not many people can hit a man sized target with an iron sighted handgun at 1000 +/- feet.Like others said,I am sure this guy was watched very closely,most likely by some sharpshooter and his spotter who already had his scope focused on him and green light authorization.
    As to crop subsidies and rural electrification,what will city dwellers eat if farmers don't have the power to move their crops from truck to silo and back again before running them over to the local corn milling plant?How will they keep the cows milked in quantities needed to support millions without electricity?For those who haven't done it,there are two rules to miliking a cow.1.Never grab hold on a cold day before warming your hands. 2.You can't milk her by hand fast enough to keep your grandfather off your back about it.
    Folks in rural areas can do better without cities than cities can do without rural areas working to feed them.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Okay. Obama has definitely lost ground in the polls. The flip side to that is the GOP hasn't gained any ground.
    Considering the rural areas benefit from the programs funded by urban areas (ie crop subsidies) this is a quite a disconnect. Especially considering it was government that forced utility companies to install electricity out in the urban areas when the market forces determined it was unprofitable. Were it not for the largesse of federal programs, the midwest would be just so much dust blowing back and forth the last 60 years.
    Might be because urban folks know the second half of the quote and believe idiots like Kostric might view them as tyrants.
    See above post. The definition of tyranny by these folks is a bit too narrow for me.

  10. #60
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Memphis is also trying to make up budget losses by annexing more and more of Shelby County.People who live in the county are starting to be called racist for NOT wanting to be annexed into a city that they left due to mayoral and other political stupidity.
    Cities that can't use the money that they already tax out of the people to actually run the city need a change in leadership.

    Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    It's proven false here, as well. The city of Milwaukee draws almost 75% of it's annual operating budget from sources other than city property taxes. That means that shared revenue from the state of Wisconsin as well as the US Federal government is the primary source of funding for the city, itself.
    All city departments here are extremely dependent on grants and other "stimulus" funds from the Federal government.

  11. #61
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Kostric must have missed a very important event late last year. It was called an election.
    Are you talking about Jefferson, because that is who said this. Kostric repeated it.

    No doubt that people should be allowed to protest. It is their right. Given the state of incivility in town hall meetings (by both sides) only shows that both groups are reacting emotionally to an issue that warrants rational thought. Something that is not possible when one group comes to the event armed with hyperbole gleaned from Glenn Beck soundbites.
    Thank god that they have the liberal's permission to protest. Thank you.

    To deny that this is an emotional issue is to really misunderstand what is going on here.

    "One group". Again you say they have a right to protest (thanks again) but you then write them off as just repeating someone elses soundbites. I know you believe their opinions don't count because as you say, their side lost the election.

    Typical elitest attitude. The people are too dumb to decide for themselves, so they must be mindlessly following some talking head.

    It's clearly obvious to those of us who have been paying attention those protesting are more about their unhappiness with the GOP losing the White House than any real concern over liberalism or perceived encroaching tyranny.
    More elitest crap. If you were really paying attention, you would have heard that Kostric voted for Ron Paul, who did not run as a republican.

    Can we also remember that the democrats did not win with a huge margin? The country is as divided as it was before the election.

    You can write off what they are saying and be deaf to their concerns, just then expect the reactions to continue in the spirit of Jefferson's quote.

    .
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  12. #62
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Are you talking about Jefferson, because that is who said this. Kostric repeated it.
    Then what is Kostric's purpose in citing a quote that has as violence at its core?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Thank god that they have the liberal's permission to protest. Thank you.
    Your welcome. Especially considering how those of us who expressed our disagreements with Bush were labeled with equivalent amounts of hyperbole.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    To deny that this is an emotional issue is to really misunderstand what is going on here.
    Their arguments certainly aren't based on any facts. What else is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    "One group". Again you say they have a right to protest (thanks again) but you then write them off as just repeating someone elses soundbites. I know you believe their opinions don't count because as you say, their side lost the election.
    Great. I have no problem with civil protest. That isn't the case here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Typical elitest attitude. The people are too dumb to decide for themselves, so they must be mindlessly following some talking head.
    See earlier soundbite on facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    More elitest crap. If you were really paying attention, you would have heard that Kostric voted for Ron Paul, who did not run as a republican.
    I give Kostric his perspective. I also reserve the right to disagree with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Can we also remember that the democrats did not win with a huge margin? The country is as divided as it was before the election.
    Really? In 2004 conservatives were claiming Bush's win was a mandate from the people. He won by a whopping 2.5% Given that yardstick as a mandate, Obama won by a landslide.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You can write off what they are saying and be deaf to their concerns, just then expect the reactions to continue in the spirit of Jefferson's quote.
    What does this mean exactly?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  13. #63
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Then what is Kostric's purpose in citing a quote that has as violence at its core?
    You really don't understand Jefferson's quote, do you? It's not about violence and it's certainly not "at its core". You should read it again.

    Their arguments certainly aren't based on any facts. What else is it?
    Every single argument is not based in "fact"? Wow, you've really boiled this down, haven't you.

    Can you be honest about this, or are you just going to take a partisan view of this issue?

    Great. I have no problem with civil protest. That isn't the case here.
    Okay, you and Jefferson can disagree. I think I'll go with Jefferson on this one, though.

    I give Kostric his perspective. I also reserve the right to disagree with it.
    This is not perspective. He didn't vote for a republican, so that kind of shoots your theory in the foot.


    Really? In 2004 conservatives were claiming Bush's win was a mandate from the people. He won by a whopping 2.5% Given that yardstick as a mandate, Obama won by a landslide.
    Why do you always attribute these comments to groups that are not represented in this forum? Is this to avoid adding substance to this discussion? I never claimed Bush won by a landslide or a mandate.

    If you think that Obama won by a landslide, then say it. Don't wimp out and blame faceless people who didn't post here.

    What does this mean exactly?
    Jefferson's quote warns against ignoring the masses, even if they are uninformed (a subjective analysis).

    If you ignore them, then expect this sort of reaction.

    .
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  14. #64
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Billerica, Ma
    Posts
    5

    Default freedom ???

    Lets just keep the word freedom and America in the same concept!

    Why should anyone have anything negative to say about somebody doing something that is legal and his right to do?
    If you have a negative thought about the picture of him with a liberty sign, you do not have any idea what those who have died to protect him had in mind. And you may deserve the right to say you don't like it, but you do not deserve the respect of America's concept!

  15. #65
    Savage / Hyneman 08'

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    450

    Default

    I think anyone who claims this unrest to be a reaction solely to recent events has not been paying attention for a few decades.

    Hypocrisy in government has gone on for a long time.

    Spending our money with little regard to the people who earn it has been going on for a long time as well.

    We keep getting the reports of government waste while the government is telling us that they need more of our money. We must be wise with our money but they sure aren't wise with our money. The solution to budget shortcomings is seldom to cut unneeded spending, just tax us more.

    Elected officials always find more ways to regulate, but how often do they get out of the way so business can grow and succeed to make profits ( a dirty word these days ) that benefit many? Including the Gov't who gets a cut? Nope, just tax, regulate, and increase fees every chance they get.

    The Gov't doesn't realize that they are killing the golden goose. If you get out of our way and let us prosper the country as a whole will prosper.

    Now don't go and tell me I'm wrong about regulation and some are needed. I know this. But as the gov't does, it doesn't know when to stop. Why should it stop? They want money and power as well, right? They just take it from those that earn it.

    This isn't a recent thing. But all those little nudges, pokes, and prods from the gov't have been tolerated a little bit at a time. Now here comes a big push, and folks push back. Isn't that human nature?

    The only thing politics is missing these days is the ferris wheel. But even without it it's still a hell of a circus.

    Many other examples can be seen at all levels from local, state and federal government, but we know what they are. And I am tired of it. This reaction has been a long time in the making, and neither of the 2 main parties is innocent.

    Now here is the part that is going to make the liberals report me to the whitehouse:

    In regards to the man with the sign and the gun, I don't think we can overlook the fact that this world of ours has been governed through the aggressive use of force. History if filled with examples, and some are on display today as well.

    Let us not bash the man for stating the obvious.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

  16. #66
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You really don't understand Jefferson's quote, do you? It's not about violence and it's certainly not "at its core". You should read it again.
    Here is the full context of Jefferson's quote:

    "God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
    The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
    wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
    they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
    it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
    And what country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not
    warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
    resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
    to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
    in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
    time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    It is its natural manure."
    So how exactly was the blood of patriots and tyrants going be obtained to refresh the tree of liberty? Are all these people going to hanging out at the tree of liberty and have nosebleeds?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Every single argument is not based in "fact"? Wow, you've really boiled this down, haven't you.

    Can you be honest about this, or are you just going to take a partisan view of this issue?
    Then point me to the arguments that are valid based upon what is in the legislation being proposed.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Okay, you and Jefferson can disagree. I think I'll go with Jefferson on this one, though.
    So disrupting meetings to ensure a counter opinion is not being heard is considered civil discourse? I think Jefferson would disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    This is not perspective. He didn't vote for a republican, so that kind of shoots your theory in the foot.
    He also claims his freedoms are being taken from him. Which ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Why do you always attribute these comments to groups that are not represented in this forum? Is this to avoid adding substance to this discussion? I never claimed Bush won by a landslide or a mandate.
    If you and I were the only ones on this board that would be true. We aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    If you think that Obama won by a landslide, then say it. Don't wimp out and blame faceless people who didn't post here.
    See above post. Also, during the Bush years there were several on this board who wrote that if I didn't like what was happening in America (under Bush) I should move to someplace else. I've never said that to anyone except idiotboy, and only because if he left America for another country there is a good chance the median IQ in both places would increase.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Jefferson's quote warns against ignoring the masses, even if they are uninformed (a subjective analysis).
    Jefferson was not a fan of the uneducated masses. He was an aristocrat and would hardly be considered a man of the people. One of the many reasons he was an advocate for a strong educational system and founded UVA.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    If you ignore them, then expect this sort of reaction.
    So you advocate violence based upon an unsubstantiated claim?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  17. #67
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Also, during the Bush years there were several on this board who wrote that if I didn't like what was happening in America (under Bush) I should move to someplace else. I've never said that to anyone except idiotboy, and only because if he left America for another country there is a good chance the median IQ in both places would increase.
    America is a Capitalist, Free, Society. The only time anyone suggested you go find a socialist country is when you advocated making America a Socialist Nation.

  18. #68
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    America is a Capitalist, Free, Society. The only time anyone suggested you go find a socialist country is when you advocated making America a Socialist Nation.
    You just proved my point.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  19. #69
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    "God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
    The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
    wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
    they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
    it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
    And what country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not
    warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
    resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
    to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
    in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
    time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    It is its natural manure."

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    So how exactly was the blood of patriots and tyrants going be obtained to refresh the tree of liberty? Are all these people going to hanging out at the tree of liberty and have nosebleeds?
    You are only considering that one line. There is a whole quote here to consider. It's about context, that which this quote has been read on the news out of.

    Are you saying that Jefferson advocated violence? Or did he merely say it's going to happen from time to time?

    The quote is about the risk of ignoring the opposition. It is a warning, pure and simple.

    He's not advocating violence, he is saying it will happen if the people are ignored.

    Then point me to the arguments that are valid based upon what is in the legislation being proposed.
    Here are a few that have me worried.
    - The erosion of patients who have private pay insurance will cause many healthcare institutions to go bankrupt and will limit access to care. The CBO states that by 2013 that 5% of those with private insurance will migrate to the public plans. Double that just a few years later.

    - Increasing those on public health insurance will cause further reliance on the goverment. In addition, there are legitimate concerns about the government's ability to be efficient in regards to costs and the management of something this important.

    - This is an extremely costly plan, that will add to the national debt.

    - There is still a very active movement proposing a single payor system amongst the democrats. This is socialism, pure and simple. The majority of Americans do not want this.

    So disrupting meetings to ensure a counter opinion is not being heard is considered civil discourse? I think Jefferson would disagree.
    I'm not saying he would support the manner of these debates, I honestly don't know. However, I can tell you flat out he would oppose these healthcare proposals.

    Jefferson's opinion on the "general welfare" clause of the constitution.

    “It would reduce the whole instrument to a single phrase, that of instituting a Congress with power to do whatever would be for the good of the United States; and as they sole judges of the good or evil, it would be also a power to do whatever evil they please...Certainly no such universal power was meant to be given them. It was intended to lace them up straightly within the enumerated powers and those without which, as means, these powers could not be carried into effect.”
    — Thomas Jefferson (Opinion on National Bank, 1791)

    He also claims his freedoms are being taken from him. Which ones?
    I think the expressed that in his interview. I can't comment more on what I think he meant. That would not be appopriate.

    If you and I were the only ones on this board that would be true. We aren't.
    You were replying to me. You still really haven't addressed that point. Do you think President Obama won a landslide victory?

    See above post. Also, during the Bush years there were several on this board who wrote that if I didn't like what was happening in America (under Bush) I should move to someplace else. I've never said that to anyone except idiotboy, and only because if he left America for another country there is a good chance the median IQ in both places would increase.
    I've never said that and think someone who does is an uneducated fool.

    Jefferson was not a fan of the uneducated masses. He was an aristocrat and would hardly be considered a man of the people. One of the many reasons he was an advocate for a strong educational system and founded UVA.
    I didn't say he was a fan. But he clearly gives those involved in Shay's Rebellion a pass. Basically stating that what they did was justified.


    So you advocate violence based upon an unsubstantiated claim?
    No, I don't advocate violence, neither does Jefferson or Kostric. This is just an attempt by the liberal media to paint all opponents of the proposed plan as gun-toting crazies.

    .
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  20. #70
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You are only considering that one line. There is a whole quote here to consider. It's about context, that which this quote has been read on the news out of.
    Which is the line used by Kostric.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Are you saying that Jefferson advocated violence? Or did he merely say it's going to happen from time to time?
    Depends on what you believe the word "must" means.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    The quote is about the risk of ignoring the opposition. It is a warning, pure and simple.
    See above post.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    He's not advocating violence, he is saying it will happen if the people are ignored.
    See above post.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Here are a few that have me worried.
    - The erosion of patients who have private pay insurance will cause many healthcare institutions to go bankrupt and will limit access to care. The CBO states that by 2013 that 5% of those with private insurance will migrate to the public plans. Double that just a few years later.
    Not if those private entities become more competitive.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    - Increasing those on public health insurance will cause further reliance on the goverment. In addition, there are legitimate concerns about the government's ability to be efficient in regards to costs and the management of something this important.

    - This is an extremely costly plan, that will add to the national debt.
    This is pretty interesting. When the CBO detailed the adverse impacts of Bush's tax cuts, conservatives ignored those forecasts as heresy. Now they embrace the CBO as holy writ.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    - There is still a very active movement proposing a single payor system amongst the democrats. This is socialism, pure and simple. The majority of Americans do not want this.
    I would discount the opinions of those on Medicare and Medicaid or utilizing the VA system. I am certain that would change the dynamic considerably given how a targeted segment of FreedomWorks (those organizing the disruption of town halls) is seniors.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I'm not saying he would support the manner of these debates, I honestly don't know. However, I can tell you flat out he would oppose these healthcare proposals.
    Of course. He was wealthy and could afford to provide for his own health care.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Jefferson's opinion on the "general welfare" clause of the constitution.
    Succeeding courts have disagreed. Jefferson should have been more specific in its meaning. Plus Jefferson didn't exactly govern according to the freedoms or role of government he advocated in his writings. As stated earlier, he had strong opinions of freedom yet he was also a slave owner and was by no means an advocate of shared freedoms for women.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I think the expressed that in his interview. I can't comment more on what I think he meant. That would not be appopriate.
    Not really. His statements were not even close to any specifics.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You were replying to me. You still really haven't addressed that point. Do you think President Obama won a landslide victory?
    Given the context of the Bush victory absolutely.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I've never said that and think someone who does is an uneducated fool.
    Yet that is exactly who is disrupting town hall meetings.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I didn't say he was a fan. But he clearly gives those involved in Shay's Rebellion a pass. Basically stating that what they did was justified.
    Giving a pass can be construed as tacit approval. Jefferson wrote and spoke strong words leading up to the Revolutionary War. Then went to Paris until the conflict was over.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    No, I don't advocate violence, neither does Jefferson or Kostric. This is just an attempt by the liberal media to paint all opponents of the proposed plan as gun-toting crazies.
    Given that Kostric was gun toting and spoke in a disjointed manner only helped to reinforce the stereotype.

    .[/QUOTE]
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  21. #71
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Maybe because I'm not unhappy with those I don't criticize.
    Like I said Skippy - you only criticize Republicans and conservatives for doing the exact same thing that Democrats adn liberals are doing. You can call it whatever you want. It is still hypocracy. And you know it.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Ain't freedom grand?
    It is, but you hide behind freedom like a Frenchman hides behind others fighting for them.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  22. #72
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Not if those private entities become more competitive.
    Okay, as long as the public funds are structured to be profitable like the private funds. That's the thing, it won't happen, the public funds will then be cheaper and competition will not be fair.


    This is pretty interesting. When the CBO detailed the adverse impacts of Bush's tax cuts, conservatives ignored those forecasts as heresy. Now they embrace the CBO as holy writ.
    Again, can we deal with the actual topic and not stray off into these non-sequitars?

    What do YOU think of the CBO's estimation on these points? I can tell you this, in my industry a shift of 1 or 2% of patients into a public plan will cause a lot of our clinics in urban areas to be closed.

    Of course. He was wealthy and could afford to provide for his own health care.
    So, you don't like Jefferson. Interesting.

    Succeeding courts have disagreed. Jefferson should have been more specific in its meaning. Plus Jefferson didn't exactly govern according to the freedoms or role of government he advocated in his writings. As stated earlier, he had strong opinions of freedom yet he was also a slave owner and was by no means an advocate of shared freedoms for women.
    I don't care what the courts have said, that has nothing to do with interpreting what Jefferson would think or do today.

    Given the context of the Bush victory absolutely.
    So both were landslides, that's what you are saying? I don't know why you can't deal with the last election without referring to the Bush victory?? Bizarre obsession?


    Giving a pass can be construed as tacit approval. Jefferson wrote and spoke strong words leading up to the Revolutionary War. Then went to Paris until the conflict was over.
    Wow, you really don't like Jefferson.


    Given that Kostric was gun toting and spoke in a disjointed manner only helped to reinforce the stereotype.
    Totally unfair analysis. The man is not a talking head on a television show and he did pretty good against that moron Mathews. To say he spoke in a "disjointed" way is not fair.

    .
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  23. #73
    Forum Member
    DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Really? I'm sure you can link me to stories of town hall meetings being shut down by angry protestors. Or gun toting individuals bellyaching about tyranny and loss of freedom.
    You ought to pay attention more to the discourse. And no one with a firearm disrupted any protest - he did in a much more peaceful manner than most people on either side of the coin did.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The MMA ( as it was called) was signed into law in 2003. There were no protests or outrage of the magnitude we are seeing in the days leading up to its passage. Nor did we ever see the vocal opposition from anyone (conservatives or liberals) over the spending bills signed into law by the Bush Administration via a GOP majority congress. In fact, just one year later, conservatives were extolling Bush for his visionary leadership and pushing him towards re-election. I guess they had short memories on his socialistic agenda and encroaching tyranny.
    There were protests, and a lot of angry people - perhaps you might recall the AARP's point of view initially until it caved and said it was "a good start."

    Bush pushed a lot of programs people did not like, but he also was not using every Democratic elected official as a stoolie to push a wildly unpopular plan they they admit that they did not read.

    People will protest what they want, and no child-like moron incapable of rational though ought to tell them who, when, where, or why they should or should not protest their point of view. Especially because they are choosing to do so now, not when he thinks that they should have. Your hypocracy is deafening - even if you hide behind it by calling it freedom.

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Lastly, the status quo with the health care issue in our society is not sustainable, and none of the opposition brings a viable alternative to the discussion. Only hyperbole.
    Says who?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

  24. #74
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    You ought to pay attention more to the discourse. And no one with a firearm disrupted any protest - he did in a much more peaceful manner than most people on either side of the coin did.
    Isn't it ironic that the person with the "deadly weapon" was more peaceful and less of a threat than the "peaceful and unarmed" people screaming at their elected officials and pushing each other inside these town halls ?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  25. #75
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Gee, I wonder what you guys would be saying if this had happened a few years ago at an event where Bush the Lesser was present...and the ones "exercising their Second Amendment rights" were Americans of Middle Eastern descent?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 First 123456 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What are you carrying in your turnout gear?
    By taternation in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
  2. Hand-Carrying the Litter
    By ArapahoeSnR in forum Specialized Rescue
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
  3. carrying tools into structures
    By Mcerovskilt in forum Fireground Tactics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 10:34 AM
  4. Carrying hose for highrise
    By MRUT in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2001, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register