Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The "5 "ins"...

Default The "5 "ins"...

Last week, I had an appointment with a Scout who is going for the rank of Eagle. One of the merit badges he is working towards is in fire safety.

Part of that requirement is to talk with one of the fire officials in the community about the fire department, fire prevention and fire safety.

I have done many of these interviews for Scouts. The young man's last question got me to thinking...

It was "what is your opinion on what it takes to be a successful fire officer?"

Now, this is something that I and many others have answered in a firefighter forums or two... but it was the first time that a teenager ever asked it.

I told him that I had a standard answer, but that he deserved better than that. I asked him for his email address and told him that I would get back to him. While I was detailing the Mustang to enter it in a show, I came across a flier from my insurance agent that I had stashed in the console that pretty much summed up what the "da Job" is all about.

I adapted it, and what I came up with 5 "ins" of being a successful fire officer. In answer to his question, this is what I sent to him.

To be a successful fire officer, one has follow the 5 "ins".

Successful fire officers have to take the initiative... to make the most of every opportunity, situation and challenge that come their way.

Successful fire officers need to have insight. The have to be passionate about the job and serve the best interests of their personnel.. even when they feel that they are being wronged.

Successful fire officers have to innovate. They have to think outside of the box on occasion in order to get to what the "big picture" looks like. They should also cultivate innovation amongst their personnel. Not all of the brightest minds in the fire service wear bugles on their collars; some are content with being the grunts and doing the job.

Successful fire officers have to have integrity. They are held to higher standard by virtue of their rank, from the newly minted LT to the grizzled old Chief. They have to meet the needs of the Department as a whole and build relationships across the ranks with professionalism.

In life, successful fire officers have to balance their family and personal life with the professional side. Ignoring one or the other can lead to problems at home and at work.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-13-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Good Post !!!

Thumbs up

Great post. Food for thought for the future officers and also serve as a reflection for current officers, thanks Gonzo.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

I've worked with some great officers who have had all that... I am greatful to them forever.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Geez Gonz, where do you keep pulling this stuff out from?

Great info. Printed out and forwarded to all my officers. Thanks!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information