Exclamation Certification Transfer?

I have been a certified Firefighter in Florida for 10 years but will be moving soon. How and can I transfer my certification to another state or will I have to go through a Fire Academy again?

Forum Member

It all depends on what state. In NYS, if you are a volunteer, you can transfer you certification as long as they are not a local course. FF1 and 2 will transfer because they are an NFPA curriculum. For EMT/Medic you can challenge the NYS state tests for the transfer. Or you could the last I knew 10 years ago....it may have changed. If its for a professional department, forget it, nothing will transfer except the EMT/Medic as stated above.

The best thing for you to do is call the state fire administration and ask them. You'll have to fax your certificates to them and they will review it.
    IACOJ Member

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well..............

Pretty much varies with where you go. Here, Volunteers use the National Pro Board for everything except EMT. If you get hired in a Career job, You WILL go thru their Academy. That is set in stone in every Department that I know of. You need to understand that this area (Mid-Atlantic) is NOT like Florida in any matter regarding training. Here, you get hired, and sent to the Academy while you are being paid. To be allowed into a Training Program, you must be a Member/Employee/Volunteer of a Fire Department FIRST. A Joe Average Citizen can not take a Course at a Fire Academy, Fire Training is restricted to those who are already on a Department.

And - Training that you already have isn't relevant to getting hired anyway, so it isn't a problem.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

As been said before, it depends on where you go.

Some states will take them at face value. Some states will not require you retake the course but will require you to retest. Some will require you retake the course and retest.

If they are IFSAC, LA will take them at face value. If they are not IFSAC, you can challenge any test as long as you have the (IFSAC) prereqs.

Most small combo departments do not use an academy. You simply need the designated certs to apply and you will be placed on the floor immediately if you are hired.

Some cities require certain certs before applying and if hired, they will put you through a short mini-academy not designed to teach skills (as you haave the certs) but you simply learn the SOPs, department policies and such.

A very few departments still have an academy, or some will send you to LSU Fire training in Baton Rouge for 12 weeks for Muncipal Fire School (FFI/II Awareness and Ops).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Pretty much varies with where you go. Here, Volunteers use the National Pro Board for everything except EMT. If you get hired in a Career job, You WILL go thru their Academy. That is set in stone in every Department that I know of. You need to understand that this area (Mid-Atlantic) is NOT like Florida in any matter regarding training. Here, you get hired, and sent to the Academy while you are being paid. To be allowed into a Training Program, you must be a Member/Employee/Volunteer of a Fire Department FIRST. A Joe Average Citizen can not take a Course at a Fire Academy, Fire Training is restricted to those who are already on a Department.

And - Training that you already have isn't relevant to getting hired anyway, so it isn't a problem.

As me Brother put it, We don't care how many classes or pieces of paper you have. If you are lucky to pass all through the hoops and jump all the hurdles and get hired, you are going to do the complete 20 week recruit program. What you may know may help you over a recruit that knows nothing and it may not too!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information