Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Odds of getting hired?

Hi there, I've had a long time interest in fire fighting, but decided to pursue my bachelors degree first. I now have my business degree, and am interested in testing for some departments. I have no fire fighting related experience. I did have a year of explorer search and rescue in high school (don't know if that helps).

A department about an hour from where I live is about to start a hiring process. They are accepting only the first 250 applications, and there is also an application fee. The EMT-B certification isn't required the first year.

My question is this worth at shot at, or are other certifications, or more experience necessary to have a good shot at getting hired?

Thanks

Forum Member

Hangar, pursueing this job is always worth the chance. I too waited untill i had my degree in Fire Science before i started applying to career departments. im now in my 3rd year applying for the departments here in NC, and have not had much luck. In my experience, i have found that past Volunteer experience is always helpful but not needed. The departments i have interveiwed with care more about your character and history more than anything else. this career path is EXTREMELY competitive and hard to land a job. i would start applying now so you have some experience going through the processess. besides if you get hired, most departments well help pay for your schooling. best of luck

Testing is like dating- Take every opportunity you can and you'll get better with every process.

As for testing in general and having no experience, I HIGHLY recommend figuring out where you want to work and live first. Find out what are their requirements to apply and work there and focus on getting prepped and ready for future tests.

What is standard in Las Vegas does not work for Denver or in LA or Texas.

Lastly- Please understand, you will need to WORK HARD for a long time to get hired. I put off a lot of life's little things before getting a badge- buying a house, marriage, kids, major debt, etc. Its a forced life style because testing is expensive- paper supplies, postage, PC, airline tickets, rental cars, hotel rooms, gas, subscription service, etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 08-16-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks for the input guys.

If anyone else has some advice I'd love to hear!

Forum Member

Unhappy

This is some really good advice in this thread...
    But i think going for for my Bachelor's first was a serious mistake.
    I just got done with college last spring, and there are NO jobs here in philly.
    The Mayor is talking about cutting 200 FD jobs

I thought that I'd have no time to pursue being a cop or FF while in school.
    Boy was i wrong!
    College students have plenty of time for things like that.
    Now i'm looking at people i know that went into the job market right outta high school having good jobs as FFs and Cops.
    Kinda makes me wish i never went to college.
    I'm going to grad school soon, and this time I'm trying for Pharmacy school.

Quote Originally Posted by kevgeez View Post
    This is some really good advice in this thread...
    But i think going for for my Bachelor's first was a serious mistake.
    I just got done with college last spring, and there are NO jobs here in philly.
    The Mayor is talking about cutting 200 FD jobs

I thought that I'd have no time to pursue being a cop or FF while in school.
    Boy was i wrong!
    College students have plenty of time for things like that.
    Now i'm looking at people i know that went into the job market right outta high school having good jobs as FFs and Cops.
    Kinda makes me wish i never went to college.
    I'm going to grad school soon, and this time I'm trying for Pharmacy school.

Whoa- Wrong attitude. Having a college education is important in the fire service. Its a foundation you can use regardless. Be happy of your accomplishments and DO NOT give up that easy.

And why are you focused on just one location? Typical candidate mistake. Start spreading out and testing in other various states.

Forum Member

It's always worth taking the chance if it's what you really want.

Shane

Default Go For It

You will never be a Firefighter UNLESS YOU TEST FOR IT. They will not hand you a badge unless YOU TEST FOR IT. So.......TEST FOR IT.

Good Luck!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Some Guy

Having your degree is HUGE. I was lucky and got hired at 22. I am now 34. I really wish I would have got my degree first. Playing catch up is very hard.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

College is good but test while in college and dont be afraid to leave college for a job. You can always go back to school.

Forum Member

Default Motivation

Hey hanger, just got my job with the Charlotte Fire Department in NC. Took me 3 years to get it and now that i have my job and a degree I'll be making more money than the starting base salary and I'll be eligable for officer status sooner. I start this November. its a great feeling of acomplishment to finally reach the goal! all the best.
    Last edited by Jetfan123; 09-24-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Forum Member

Having your degree is huge. Many FD's require some kind of degree to promote, and when the dept i reserve at had a hiring process they only tested people with 4yr degrees. Of course not all places are that strict but with a tight market they'll do anything to weed huge numbers of applicants down.

Forum Member

Just my 2 cents: Education trump immediate reward (i.e. job) any day in my book.

Let's just say you get 3 years DONE towards your BS or BA and you get a call for a job that would require you to leave school (quit). You take the job, work for several, let's call it 10 years, and you get either horribly injured or just decide that you really no longer have a passion for what you're doing anymore. Now guess what? Most if not all of your credits that you worked so hard for 10 years ago may not even be recognized by any university or school! Many state institutions have a time limit of 5 years as the upper limit to use credit hours towards a degree. You're back at square one and you only have experience in whatever job you've been doing for the last 10 years, no advanced degree and nothing to show for the 3 hard years of work you already put in. Not a great place to be. Doable, but not ideal.

You CAN always go back to school, as some have suggested, but you CAN also always find a job, perhaps just not your dream job. (*not including present recession) =)

From my limited experience as someone who has both received a degree AND who is currently back in school after several years of being away and now has a 6 month old at home...it was way way way easier to go the traditional route if at all possible for someone. Just get your degree out of the way and then you can do whatever you want! You can still try to get your "dream job" or you may decide by the time you get your degree that you want something different, maybe a higher degree who knows? For me it was touch enough having a full-time job and getting my EMT and then two years later, while working EMS, going back again and getting my Paramedic. Now that I am back (again) taking science and math courses for PA or Med School it is hard to go back the older you get, the more entrenched you are in your own ways of doing things and the more "life" you have on you plate.

Out of college it's true that you are not really anymore "qualified" or "marketable" for many jobs out there, but it is a foundation and something that you can build on. Think of it like a house. Some people want a really nice 1 or 2 story house and that's great. But some might want a 3 or 4 story house and that's great too. It's an individual thing and whatever you decide do it for yourself and your family. Education is simply a tool and a pathway which often leads to opportunity and choice.

Bottom line: Education is something that no one can take away from you once you have it. The same cannot be said about a job, any job for that matter.

Thread Information