Forum Member

Default anyone getting rid of an engine?

Just looking around to see if anyone in the area around me is getting rid of a late 80s or early 90s engine. We had a number of mennonites join our department and all of our apparatus are 2 door commercial cabs. im suddenly in the need for a crew cab engine of some sort. buying a new or used one at this point isnt an option because we still have 7 years left on our station. unfortunately we got tapped out on the funds due to a pump replacement on our 91 engine and a turbo replacement on our brush truck.

so if anyones willing too get rid of one for a good cause let me know. i plan on using the truck as a second out or first out truck depending on the call and what i can get on the truck equipment wise.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I don't have an engine to offer you, but how about getting a bus or van or something that they can all ride in with a non-Mennonite driver? Could respond as a two-piece company with the engine and arrive together, you could maybe also use it to carry extra equipment to the scene.

You also might have better luck getting an old bus or van donated from a multitude of different sources as opposed to trying to find a used fire engine.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Maybe you should invest in a steamer and a team of horses.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Maybe you should invest in some basic firefighting classes. You really are an *********, you know that?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Question

How are they going to get to the station to ride on the engine you plan on purchasing??

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well................

Dwayne hit it on the head - A Suburban or some SUV type of vehicle would work well as a Personnel Carrier. A few VFDs in my area still have a two man Cab Reserve Engine. When one of those runs a call, additional members are right behind in a SUV. Works OK as far as I can see....................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    At least they would be willing to search and go interior!

What a maroon!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Am I the only one who sees how having a department made up of members who cannot drive personal vehicles, much less department vehicles, could possibly be a problem? Not trying to be a jerk, but are you pressed for personnel in your area? I understand they may want to be involved, but the first part to working a scene is getting there...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I was under the assumption that Mennonites can drive, its the Amish that can't drive. Mennonites in my area, drive, go to mainstream stores, use electricity, but don't have T.V.'s and other "luxury" items.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Am I the only one who sees how having a department made up of members who cannot drive personal vehicles, much less department vehicles, could possibly be a problem? Not trying to be a jerk, but are you pressed for personnel in your area? I understand they may want to be involved, but the first part to working a scene is getting there...
    Uh, for the work that you get out of a couple of mennonites, I personally would make pretty much any adjustments I need to make in my running plan - as long as they did not turn out to have a negative result.

You may have all the volunteers you can use, but most of the rest of the country has to be a bit flexible at times.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MOFIRE View Post
    I was under the assumption that Mennonites can drive, its the Amish that can't drive. Mennonites in my area, drive, go to mainstream stores, use electricity, but don't have T.V.'s and other "luxury" items.
    I believe it depends on the individual group.

Forum Member

Smile lack of dirvers

the problem im most faced with is the lack of availible drivers, during the day time hours i have about three apparatus drivers who may or may not be availible depending on where they are working ...and what time of year it is. Most of the mennonite guys can make it in time to the station to grab the first engine out if they had a place to sit. they could probably give Lance Armstrong a good run for his money. right at this piont i have an engine that gets there and has to wait for the crew to filter in to put it to good use. if i had the crew cab i can put them to work of the engine, instead of as they individually arrive.

as for the suburban or van... it would end up being like our rescue truck (which is third out on fires)... it half the time gets there, because there just isnt anyone to drive it. just a small insight, were a completely non hydranted district, so the engines are always placed on the priority list over the rescue or utility truck. I ussually have the automatic aide companys fill the rescues slot due to the lack of the driver.

Another reason why i ask for an engine is using it to take these guys to the classes that are held at the niegboring stations as well as the equipment that they will need to use in the classes. Most members dont have enough capacity to haul around 6 or 7 guys and equipment in thier povs.

Forum Member

Smile driver mennonites

yes it is true that some do drive.. and some here do, however it is not the ones in the department. as far as i know about the group around here the individual who wants to drive a vehicle petitions the local church elders as to why and how they are going to use the vehicle and why they wish to deviate from the "rules". if all is ok then the elders grant the permission. thats kinda how i understand it as they put it. a couple of the mennonite guys ive trained in classes who were in thier 40s out performed the 20 and 25 year old guys who were just the average guys around town. i havent had one yet complain about having to do a job of any kind i set them to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    At least they would be willing to search and go interior!

What a maroon!
    If like the Amish in my area would do so in a straw hat and "street" clothes.

Easy fix for a crew transport would be a DOD surplus vehicle. Fair number of civilian model school busses, passenger vans, crewcab pickup available.

Forum Member

Have you spoke to any of them about becoming a driver? If it's the same 6 or 7 guys responding you would only need 1 or 2 able to drive. That way if there isn't another driver available 1 could fill-in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3 View Post
    Have you spoke to any of them about becoming a driver? If it's the same 6 or 7 guys responding you would only need 1 or 2 able to drive. That way if there isn't another driver available 1 could fill-in.

Sounds like on OK idea on the face of it, but even if they get clearance through their church for driving, do you really want someone who's never driven a car to suddenly start learning on a fire engine?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Sounds like on OK idea on the face of it, but even if they get clearance through their church for driving, do you really want someone who's never driven a car to suddenly start learning on a fire engine?
    It can't be any worse than some of these kids who think a 38,000lb engine handles and stops like their honda. I can see where it actually be easier to train someone that has never driven vs. trying to erase bad habits first.
    Last edited by jlcooke3; 08-17-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: grammer

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3 View Post
    It can't be any worse than some of these kids who think a 38,000lb engine handles and stops like their honda. I can see where it actually be easier to train someone that has never driven vs. trying to erase bad habits first.

Good point...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

i would definately not feel at all comfortable with someone who has absolutely no driving experience all of a sudden getting a licence and driving apparatus under emergency or even non emergency conditions. we currently dont even allow anyone younger than 21 to drive our vehicles just due to the lack of experience. as it is right now they wont even get in and just move it out of the garage just to the otherside of the doors. they are pretty set about not driving motor vehicles. not to mention right at this moment i really cant afford to make a purchase such as a bus or suburban right now after getting the other two trucks repaired, i take enough heat from the money pinchers just for having that done.

Forum Member

Many Volunteer Fire Agencies covering areas with an Amish or Mennonite population have them as members.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Many Volunteer Fire Agencies covering areas with an Amish or Mennonite population have them as members.
    Wonderful. Care to add how they address the problem that the OP is going through?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Wonderful. Care to add how they address the problem that the OP is going through?
    No more so than you did.

Thread Information