Smile BMI for overseas

I have searched out the forum as much as I can, I do apoligize if I step on any toes, I do not intend for that to happen. My husband received his application for overseas, currently waiting for the next step, I believe the phone interview. On the paperwork it states no one with a BMI of over 35 will be accepted. My husband is worried about this due to the fact that he is not your average size man... he is a handsome 6'3 300lbs, and yes that would be mostly muscle mass, he is not fat!! The man can pick up a small car!! His current BMI is 38. His doctor has stated that BMI calculations are not that great because it does not count for muscle mass or the build of a person. So out of all of you that have been overseas, does my husband need to be panicing about BMI.
    Thank you

Forum Member

The main thing I would worry about is your husbandís health. But if the doctor is saying he is in good health I would not worry.

There are some big boys that work for WSI, so I want to say BMI is overlooked, but you never know. Have him eat really healthy for a few weeks with walking every morning, or ask the doctor to write 35 BMI on his paperwork.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default chances

what chances does a 21 yr have for an overseas assignment?
    Ohio Fire 1 - plus a few others fire science college courses
    EMT B
    volunteer/explorer sum experience 5 years - with a few commendations in his folder.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26 View Post
    what chances does a 21 yr have for an overseas assignment?
    Ohio Fire 1 - plus a few others fire science college courses
    EMT B
    volunteer/explorer sum experience 5 years - with a few commendations in his folder.
    Wrong thread, but I would say zero. The requirements are posted in here some place. I am sure they require IFSAC or PROBOAD Firefighter 1 and 2, among others that you donít have.... but thatís a start.

Forum Member

Default Justthewife

Have your husband call the folks in Arlington and talk to them, see what they say. I'm sure if it's truly muscle mass a doctor would be willing to write something about that along with writing down his BMI and how much of a joke BMI can be with muscular folks. I've worked with some guys here in country who were UNDER 35 BMI (albeit not by much) and were fat slobs.

Or like the other guy said he could just get your doctor to write in 34 or 35 if the doc is willing. The folks in Arlington will never know, all they see is paperwork.

There USED to be a guy in country who was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over 35 BMI, and it was NOT muscle. Guy was no sh*t morbidly obese, gut hanging down over his thighs, t-shirts turned into v-necks by the gut pulling them down, etc etc. Yet he got recontracted TWICE after the BMI thing was implemented. You can find doctors who'll say anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26 View Post
    I'm going to be blunt here, kid.

Explorer time is NOT experience. Period. Stop counting it. Too many dumb*****es have gotten hired who apparently counted their Explorer time as experience, then got over here and didn't know what end of a nozzle to point at the fire.

Get your certs (all of them), get some REAL experience, then look into it.

Default BMI over 35

I am going to take a medic job in Middle east, I was told by company
    if over 35 BMI dont bother filling out application, but if he has a doctors
    paperwork-thats a different story.

Thread Information