Default Looking for a rescue boat!

Hello.
    We are a volunteer department in NW Ohio looking for a rescue boat. Uses would be more for flooded creeks in town but not limited to that. We also have 2 quarries in town. Would like to utilize the 25 hp motor we have or upgrade to a 35 or 40 hp. Looking for something with mobility and ruggedness. Anyone have anything you are wanting to get rid of? Any suggestions for what your dept. uses as well would be appreciated. Thank you

Forum Member

Zodiac Mark II Grand Raid with a 40 HP is a good set up for what you are generally describing. Make sure you get a prop with the proper pitch for what you want to do with it. I would match your prop pitch for the worst conditions, i.e. flood/swiftwater.

If you will be operating in swiftwater get yourself and your members water rescue tech training and powercraft operator training. Running boats in current isn't always as easy as it looks. . . Self rescue is paramount. As far as getting a decent rescue boat for free/cheap, good luck with that, probably not gonna happen.

And not to bag on you, but make sure you NEED a boat, that it is not just a cool toy to have. Water ops are usually a low frequency/high risk deal.

MembersZone Subscriber

firekinn...

Don't have a boat for ya but you can learn from our mistakes.

We have a 15ft Alumacraft fishing boat with a 35 horse engine. Works good for our lake but it's junk on the river, or would be quarry. We have had the same boat for last 20+ years.

I would suggest to purchase a flat bottom, "john boat" style, the lightest you can get because you might have to deploy by hand sometime. The flat bottom allows more versatility in shallow water and more stability in rough seas. The low sides make it easier to load a patient on a longboard into the boat and allows easier deployment and recovery of divers too.

I also suggest to maybe get a water jet propulsion engine instead of a prop motor. This allows working in shallow water very easy.

The other option would be to get a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid_inflatable_boat

Do you have a local boat dealer?? I'm sure you could work out a deal for a cheap boat or donation or a lease of some sort. Dealers in my area have made deals to lease boats, ATV's, snowmobiles, etc. to fire departments for $1 per year and all you have to do is let them put their logo on the side of the boat or mention their name at your next fund raiser. Plus it looks good in the local fishwrap if "Buttafucco Boat Dealer" sponsored the local FD.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

we've got one from this builder
    http://www.rescueone.com/
    but we also have an old fiberglass boat that is smaller and lighter, that way you can carry it if need be
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.kimbertonfire.org/apparat...ratus_For_Sale

2 boats, trailer, and all the fixins!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Nice set up JTFire!

Again, for anyone, make sure the boat matches the conditions!

IACOJ BOD

So if a Quint is a combination truck would a combination boat be a ....

Quote.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Tug? Boat of many uses

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice and help everyone. We will be looking into it. Take care and be safe.

Thread Information