Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Documented ADHD Medication FDNY

This question pertains to the FDNY. Does anyone know or know how to find out if a candidate can be disqualified for taking "ADD" medication. With the proper documention can the candidate still be qualified or are there certain medications automatically disqualify. These meds may include, Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta...etc. These medications do fall into the class of Controlled substances and are classified as amphetamines. Does anyone know of anyone taking these medications that are on the job. Search the forums, found nothing! started my own thread.... any insight would be a great help.

~Barry

Forum Member

I am interested in this also as I take Adderall. I woul imagine it should be fine with a doctors perscription as long as your not disqualified on the psychological exam, but I am just guessing am would really like to hear from some one who knows.

What about SSRI's will those get you disqualified and if so what if you stop taking either of these drugs before being tested despite already having a valid doctors prescription.

Forum Member

Default Add

Candidates on ADD meds are protected by ADA law. But it seems to be on an agency-by -agency and individual-by-individual basis. Although candidates with ADD can apply for extra time on the written test it can sometimes send the wrong message in the hiring process. They get concerned if they hire the ADD candidate will they complete the academy and probation?

In addition to the meds, another hurdle will be the psych. One was an ADD medicated candidate who was already a 5 year firefighter with a smaller department. He was going for his dream department in the North West. He smoked his agility and oral. The psych doc wanted to know what transpired when he went on the ADD meds and how he functioned on his previous jobs. He told the doc it was like a light went on. He was hired.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Thanks captain bob, Do they care about SSRI's also. I take SSRI's, I can function with out them but just feel calmer and more outgoing and able to concentrate since using them.

Forum Member

Can answer the about SSRI's.

I can function with out them but just feel calmer and more outgoing and able to concentrate since using them.

Stating this might not work in your favor in applying for a firefighter job. Being able to function without them for a while might work in your favor only under the care of your doc.

Heard from a candidate who's doc had him on a med prophylactically (A preventive measure) which he didn't really need to take. It came up in his medical and he was DQ'd. Since he had been off the med for 6 months, he was evaluated by his doc, obtained a letter from his doc that he was only on the med prophylactically and was fit for duty, appealed and is back in the hiring process.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 08-24-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Member

I cannot speak for FDNY, but ANY perscribed medication for an ENTRY level candidate is a big deal. Certainly there are plenty of firefighters who are under medication, but many of them developed some type of condition after they were on the job.

The best thing that you can do is to contact the medical division of FDNY and ask them the question directly. I bet they would give you an answer. I would be careful about using your real name though.

Good luck,
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default wellbutrin

Would it look bad in an evaluation to have been on an anti-depressant for the purpose of quitting smoking?

Thread Information