Thread: Alaskan Cruise

Forum Member

Default Alaskan Cruise

I'm taking an Alaskan cruise next week, will be stopping in Ketchican, Junea and Skagway. Will be doing the normal tourist stuff, helicopter to the glacier, White Pass Railroad. Just wondering if there are any fire stations within walking distance from the ports.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

I did the same thing in 2007. It was a great time. Where are you departing from? Mine left out of Anchorage and there is a Chief from Anchorage FD on here who gave us a tour of the city. If Jeff doesn't chime in himself, I can try to get you in touch with him. Feel free to contact me via email for some more info. I'll help ya out as much as I can. Let me know all of the ports you will be hitting and if they are the same, I can tell you what we did and didn't do.

If the email link for me doesn't work, it's nfd111 at bex dot net
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    I'm taking an Alaskan cruise next week, will be stopping in Ketchican, Junea and Skagway. Will be doing the normal tourist stuff, helicopter to the glacier, White Pass Railroad. Just wondering if there are any fire stations within walking distance from the ports.
    Ketchikan's firehouse is just up the road from the port.

Juneau's isn't too close or too far. While you are in Juneau, visit the Red Dog Saloon. It's a blast.

I didn't see the station in Skagway.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Ketchikan's firehouse is just up the road from the port.

Juneau's isn't too close or too far. While you are in Juneau, visit the Red Dog Saloon. It's a blast.

I didn't see the station in Skagway.
    Skagway was the tiny tourist town, right? Has an "international" airport that is on the outskirts? If so I stopped into their firehouse and took a few pictures........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Steve, does your cruise stop in Victoria?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Thumbs up second.....

I will add a second to the Red Dog, was there last year. small children might not be apropreate(sp), a shoehorn will though. good food.

Alan

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Here's the link to a previous discussion about cruising to Alaska ...

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ghlight=dobber
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Steve, does your cruise stop in Victoria?
    No.

We're doing the White Pass Yukon train out of Skagway and the helicopter tour of the glacier in Junea and also stopping in Ketchican. Don't think I'll have time for any touristy stuff in Anchorage. Plane gets in at 4 pm and we have an hour bus drive to the ship which leaves at 9 pm.

Will look for the Red Dog in Junea, also have to look for the old whore house now a restaurant in Skagway. Saw that on the Travel Channel, looks cool.

We have to leave our house at 3 am to make the 6 am flight out of Philly and I'm sure that after we board the ship we'll have to do the life boat drill before they let us go to bed so we'll probably be up for close to 24 hours.

Please pray for us that we won't have any crying babies on the flights and can get some sleep!
    Last edited by dragonfyre; 08-20-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified

MembersZone Subscriber

The Hanger on the wharf just down from the ship dock is also great.

Glaicer brewing company in anchorage is great also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by utfd704 View Post
    The Hanger on the wharf just down from the ship dock is also great.
    Which dock? What city?
    Steve Dragon

Forum Member

We're back. I was unable to find any stations in Sitka, no one was in at the station in Skagway and I was ignored by 3 people who walked by me in Ketchican. I could have been there to rob the place and no one bothered to ask me what I was doing there or if they could help me.

Did find the Red Dog in Juneau, the Red Onion in Skagway and Steamers in Ketchican. Saw 2 bears, Mama and a cub, while zip-lining in Ketchican and caught a salmon barehanded out of a creek in Skagway.

Anyway, while flying into Seattle we saw several large circles in the fields below. Anyone know what they're about? Tried to download he picture we took from the plane but the site says it's too big to attach.
    Steve Dragon

Thread Information