Forum Member

Default Can a fresh-out-of-school FF get a contract FF job

Is this possible to be fresh out of fire academy and get a contract FF job? Whether on marine vessel or land?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmeltz View Post
    Is this possible to be fresh out of fire academy and get a contract FF job? Whether on marine vessel or land?
    NO.

They just don’t hire folks as firefighters. They are part of the crew. You may be a cook, a dishwasher, a deck hand or machinist. Everyone is trained in the basics of firefighting.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default i'll have national certified EMT and FF1 and 2

and i want to do the proboard thing that i've heard about. I finish EMT and fire academy in Dec. I just got my college degree and i have a clean record.

I wonder if i'll be outshined by all the others with experience. is it even possible to have my first FF job as a contract in another country?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmeltz View Post
    NO
    And not because of what the other guy said. All firefighting contracts require at least 3 years of exp. You can always lie.... but I wouldn’t recommend that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Experience counts not certification

Experience is what is needed in these oversees contracts, not just the minimum certifications.

Do not expect to learn to be a firefighter while in Iraq, or in Afghanistan. There isn't any fires to gain experience from. Your job is to man the trucks, do inspections, and train. And the one fire that you might be lucky to have the entire year your there, you better know what your doing so you do not endanger the lives of the guys that serve with you.

That is why you need a few years before applying to these contracts. I know the money is tempting, but you need the experience before you get there.... Plain and simple

Forum Member

Default i now understand

thanks for the detailed reply. that was very helpful, i now understand and will change my game plan. I take it that working on a merchant marine vessel is the same way?

Forum Member

Dude, just get a job as a firefighter on some municipal department, rack up a few years of experience, then look at whatever spot in the world the U.S. has troops in the latest brushfire war and look into contracting there if you want.

I don't know anything about jobs as a ff on ships other than guessing that they're like the one guy said and all crew are trained as such, but if there ARE actual firefighters hired as such on ships, you'll likely get even less real/practical experience than you would here in Iraq or in Afghanistan. You'd finish that after a year or two and go to some municipal department dumber than a standard probie but supposedly with some experience under your belt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Ship Board Fire Fighters

You can try Norwegion Cruise Lines. They are hiring Fire Fighters....but like everyone esle says, they are going to want to some years on the job before they take you on. The only good thing about overseas jobs IS the MONEY anyway. Just get a job in the states. You will be better off in the long run.

Thread Information