Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Exhaust Extraction System Specs

Hay folks I am trying to be proactive and looking for specifications for Exhaust extraction systems. I am expecting to receive an AFG grant this year and based on the Guidance doc I donít believe I can ask for help from the manufactures

Can anyone offer me some support

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfire View Post
    Hay folks I am trying to be proactive and looking for specifications for Exhaust extraction systems. I am expecting to receive an AFG grant this year and based on the Guidance doc I don’t believe I can ask for help from the manufactures

Can anyone offer me some support
    I think that I did an internet search for specs and found something. I don't think that I have that anymore.

Why couldn't you get specs from multiple qualified manufacturers, put them together and write your own, based on resourcing of that information.
    Last edited by jhl81791123; 08-19-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add a word

MembersZone Subscriber

Default spec's

Most firms have corporate/technical brochures that have ample information. We contacted 3 firms - asked them to send us their prospectus; documents we recieved provided a wealth of data.

some firms even offered us narratives - quoted all the right regulations (OSHA, etc), and had a few fill in the blank for your specific site questions. (with order of magntiude pricing charts). One even had a range estimate - plug in number of bays, type of vehicle, building dimensions, # of floors and floor to ceiling space in bays = out comes an estimate that you can start with.

Put it all together and basicaly all you have left is the application questions

we used all of the above to write a successful grant.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Tony, that's all the stuff that isn't allowed anymore. Vendors and manufacturers can't provide anything in writing the spec, that makes them ineligible to bid. Even if brand names are left out it still isn't kosher. Which means that you'll need to find people that bought said systems and get them from someone other than a manufacturer or vendor.

The amusing thing is that this ruling is from the feds, and GSA is one of the worst offenders of being highly specific in the specs and excluding equipment. Details...

So here's a question. My specs for my exhaust system were written 3 years ago, with input from the manufacturer. Could I give this FD a copy of MY specs without it causing an issue for the manufacturer conflict?

No names are mentioned.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The way it's written you can get it from anywhere but the vendor/manufacturer. Hence the reason I was going to take up a collection and post them on the web site since we have no vendor ties anymore. Copies of specs with the department's name that created them removes any conflicts. The Industry fought that part because people might not create specs with enough detail in them to get what meets their needs. Plus not understand the standards applicable to the products, and vendors are afraid to say anything for fear of being ruled as too involved. Many were afraid to give quotes because the feds didn't clarify anything, still claiming it's clear enough for everyone to understand... .

Forum Member

Clear as mud, at least in my part of the country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default specs

most of what we used were examples of successful grants - only site specifc pricing had been redacted

Thread Information