MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Bradley Golden - 8 Years Later

We saw a segment on Discovery Channel the other night from an event that took place in NY state (can't recall the location - use of accellorants during live burns) and it reminded me of Bradley Golden.

Its been a long time since his name was remembered and its coming up to the 8th anniversary (25 Aug) since his death.

Forum Member

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Rick, it was September not August.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    We saw a segment on Discovery Channel the other night from an event that took place in NY state (can't recall the location - use of accellorants during live burns) and it reminded me of Bradley Golden.

Its been a long time since his name was remembered and its coming up to the 8th anniversary (25 Aug) since his death.
    Place was Lairdsville.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

Rick's comment referred to not remembering the location of the event on the show, not that he didn't know it was Lairdsville where Brad died.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Place was Lairdsville.
    No, that was the location for Bradley Golden, the incident I am referring to was on YouTube, and the FF in question threw a flare into the basement of a very delapitated structure. They had poured a mix of gas and diesel in parts of the basement and trails in various other parts of the structure. Due to a temporary malfunction of the primary Engine, the start time was delayed by approx 20 minutes. Hot, humid summer day..... you can guess the rest. The report indicated that this incident was about 1 year AFTER Lairdsville. Sorry, SC.

Still wondering what happened to Baird and his multiple appeals. Probably nothing.

**thanks Sheri, took longer for my reply heheheehe

MembersZone Subscriber

Malahat, that clip has been discussed on these forums. From what I remember, someone with firsthand knowledge participated in the discussion.

From what I remember, you're right in your description. It was a demolition burn. Someone from a participating department decided it would be a good opportunity to dispose of 5 gallons of old gasoline and did so by pouring it in the house just before ignition. Again, going from memory, he also didn't tell the guy lighting the house.

Forum Member

No, that was the location for Bradley Golden, the incident I am referring to was on YouTube, and the FF in question threw a flare into the basement of a very delapitated structure. They had poured a mix of gas and diesel in parts of the basement and trails in various other parts of the structure. Due to a temporary malfunction of the primary Engine, the start time was delayed by approx 20 minutes. Hot, humid summer day..... you can guess the rest. The report indicated that this incident was about 1 year AFTER Lairdsville. Sorry, SC.

Still wondering what happened to Baird and his multiple appeals. Probably nothing.

Baird served time in the county jail... nowhere near enough for what he did, though. His attorney , Bob Moran, who trolled these forums for information, ended up in jail himself for drug trafficking.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I know we beat the Baird side of the story to death, the D.C. piece just reminded me of Bradley Golden and what happened. Firecat asked me about it, so I searched for the original story for her.

Sometimes things get "lost in memory" when they get over run by more pressing, daily events. Just seemed like a good time to take a few moments to remember.

Forum Member

Rick,
    That house explosion took place in Amsterdam, NY. Or actually it was outside of the City of Amsterdam but is credited to Amsterdam, NY. Crap, how many times can I say the name of the town in one sentence?

Remembering Bradley Golden.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt View Post
    Rick,
    That house explosion took place in Amsterdam, NY. Or actually it was outside of the City of Amsterdam but is credited to Amsterdam, NY. Crap, how many times can I say the name of the town in one sentence?

Remembering Bradley Golden.
    BINGO! thanks Shawn. For some reason all I could remember was Amherst, and I KNEW that wasn't right.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

BINGO! thanks Shawn. For some reason all I could remember was Amherst, and I KNEW that wasn't right.
    Wrong end of the state. Amherst is near Buffalo, Amsterdam is near Albany. Actually Amsterdam is where the Quint queen is from.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Default live fire training

i remember this well. Brad died due to a completely foolish act of stupidity. we reviewed the incident a few times since doing live burns in acquired structures was somewhat of a nomal traning practice for us. the asst chief who was the ignition officer for the smoke exercise felt the house wasnt smoky enough.... so to create a denser smoke he lit a couch on fire at the bottom of the stairway ( they were smoldering hey in a burning barrel on the first floor prior to this, and did not have a charged line there to control it). the couch took off being made of foam and the primary means of egress were cut off from the three guys upstairs who were the "victims".all three of these guys were new and didnt even have a year in the department a piece. this drill was never ment to be a live burn and the department was ill prepared when things went awry.

due to this incident and the amsterdam explosion the state of NY put a moritorium on live burns until we developed a safer practice of preforming live burns. part of that was the development of the Live Fire Training Principles classes. if anyone hasnt taken this and you do live fire training you should!
    no one should have to die training like this poor kid did.

From what i remember Baird was sentenced to three years in prison for involuntary manslaughter, wether he served all three years i cant remember.

Forum Member

using live victims was stupid, to use new guys as victims was even dumber. Not sure what they were supposed to learn by being real life rescue randys.

MembersZone Subscriber

The "excuse" given for not having a proper Rescue Randy was "too expensive" and the idea of making a hose-dummy from old hose was beneath them....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Other excuses put forth by Baird's attorney were...

You can't hold my client to a "professional standard; he's a volunteer"
    We have no knowledge of NFPA 1403
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

My Bad I was going by the title of the thread.

The other place you are thinking of is Cranseville near Amsterdam.

Forum Member

I remember hearing about this .. I asked "how did they run out of air?"
    answer, "they didn't have packs on"

Oh, no ........

Thread Information