Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Driver's Log Book SOG

My department is looking to initiate a Driver's Log Book to be placed in each apparatus. Each driver wouild be required to sign in to relieve the previous shift's driver. This would also be used to track any maintenence/broken or missing equipment/condition of unit and any other information relating to the truck. I'm looking to see if anyone currently does this and if you have an SOG you could send to help me get some ideas on how to write one for us. Any info you could share would be helpful.

Thanks

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like more paperwork to ensure some else is going to swing if something is not as it should be. Our drivers are responsible for their apparatus when their shift starts until the shift ends. Of course they cannot know everything is perfect until they've inspected and run the truck and tools. But a log would merely put a signature on a page stating what is already a requirement. I'd be concerned this could be used in a legal matter to assign blame to the lowest level. Maybe the Chief doesn't like all the responsibility?

We have similar stupid sign off sheets. The ambulance crew must have the duty officer sign their daily inspection sheet. As the DO, I have two choice, re-inspect their work or sign it and hope they did everything they signed off on. I choose the latter 100% of the time. The difference between my signing the sheet or not, only means I'll be in court too. If I need to re-inspect their work, why have them do it at all? Their signature means they acknowledge that they did check everything (at the start of the shift) so if somethings missing they've falsified the document making a mistake a much more difficult issue. Say some one overlooks monitor electrodes and by the third call of the day, they're out? Now a patient doesn't get a monitor, QA dings them, we don't bill for an ALS run and this becomes a big deal because they signed the sheet. Problem was it was a simple mistake that was made. A simple mistake that leads to a far worse outcome could become a legal issue due to the signature be a falsification

I see many of these sheets as re-assignment of blame, transfer of responsibility or ways to hang fireman who thus far are predominantly human and therefore still not infallible.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Sounds like more paperwork to ensure some else is going to swing if something is not as it should be. Our drivers are responsible for their apparatus when their shift starts until the shift ends. Of course they cannot know everything is perfect until they've inspected and run the truck and tools. But a log would merely put a signature on a page stating what is already a requirement. I'd be concerned this could be used in a legal matter to assign blame to the lowest level. Maybe the Chief doesn't like all the responsibility?

We have similar stupid sign off sheets. The ambulance crew must have the duty officer sign their daily inspection sheet. As the DO, I have two choice, re-inspect their work or sign it and hope they did everything they signed off on. I choose the latter 100% of the time. The difference between my signing the sheet or not, only means I'll be in court too. If I need to re-inspect their work, why have them do it at all? Their signature means they acknowledge that they did check everything (at the start of the shift) so if somethings missing they've falsified the document making a mistake a much more difficult issue. Say some one overlooks monitor electrodes and by the third call of the day, they're out? Now a patient doesn't get a monitor, QA dings them, we don't bill for an ALS run and this becomes a big deal because they signed the sheet. Problem was it was a simple mistake that was made. A simple mistake that leads to a far worse outcome could become a legal issue due to the signature be a falsification

I see many of these sheets as re-assignment of blame, transfer of responsibility or ways to hang fireman who thus far are predominantly human and therefore still not infallible.

I agree....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We have a small section at the end of our check off sheets that allows for comments. Other than that, just a check off sheet should do fine.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

we use the company log for that. Problems discovered with the truck get put in the log, when they get fixed gets put in the log. This isnt to assign blame, but just so everyone knows whats wrong and if its been fixed.

What do you currently do? We use check off sheets, and they have space to write items up. There is also a log book that we use to track damage, problems and repairs needed on all apparatus and equipment in the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

Currently we do put all that info into the daily log, but we were thinking of the possibility of having a book on the apparatus. I realize some double entry, but that book would stay with the unit. This way if the unit is detailed to another station, all the records of that particular apparatus would be right right there with it. In addition, the extra time up front could possibly same time in the long run. Rather then looking through pages and pages of the daily log to see when something was written up or fixed, it would all be there in one spot. Opinions?

Thread Information