Forum Member

Default Yet Another Happy Dance

I know I have a thread below on this...but wow.
    Today in the mail we recieved our check from the Firemans Fund....that we knew was coming. Another envelope held a check from a charitable foundation. Great news...money we didnt expect.
    Well....then the third shoe dropped (I know, but mutants might have a third shoe)...an email from DHS. The 9 questions from the 2008 grant, which we were previously denied. Of course I answered very quickly, and Im not exactly dancing yet, but Im tying my shoes...all 3.

Kurt...I left you a message, call my cell.
    Brian..Is this odd after being denied?
    Anyone....has this happened to you.

Forum Member

Default 1199a on 2008

just checked and the 1199a is already up for the 2008 which we were initially denied, then just turned in the 9Q 10 minutes ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Attack6 View Post
    I know I have a thread below on this...but wow.
    Today in the mail we recieved our check from the Firemans Fund....that we knew was coming. Another envelope held a check from a charitable foundation. Great news...money we didnt expect.
    Well....then the third shoe dropped (I know, but mutants might have a third shoe)...an email from DHS. The 9 questions from the 2008 grant, which we were previously denied. Of course I answered very quickly, and Im not exactly dancing yet, but Im tying my shoes...all 3.

Kurt...I left you a message, call my cell.
    Brian..Is this odd after being denied?
    Anyone....has this happened to you.
    Man, you are on a roll. Congrats.

There was an issue where some of the departments recieved CDJ's for 2008 that should not have. This is now being corrected. One I help with recieved their award last week after recieving a CDJ. Another one is on track for an award.

Forum Member

Some people have all the luck. Congrats
    Last edited by Fightin23rd; 08-20-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Congrats Tom and no you're not alone in this, we had 2 more get Update 1199A emails last Friday that were CDJs. I haven't checked the Peer DJ list because I've been working on the honey-do list which slightly outranks anything else. Especially when the Mrs 7 months pregnant...

Forum Member

I am still waiting in line to dance. No DJ or 1199A update for 2008 OPPs grant. Talked to rep. two weeks ago and she said we would here something in two weeks, SILENCE. Called back today and she said she would get back with me. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Forum Member

Thanks to all. We have been truly blessed. 6 AFG, Polaris, Firemans Fund....etc. It would not be possible without Kurt, Brian, and everyone on here who helps with hints and information. This is truly the best networking one can do if you belong to a Fire Dept.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Tom were you a Peer denial or a computer denial on that one? I know of 2 of our excess fund candidates don't have anything, it looks like it's all corrections from the computer denials and an occasional PDJ.

Forum Member

Im not sure, but I think computer denial. The email I received today quoted
    " Your application was favorably reviewed by a panel of your peers."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You would have gone back through one of the other Peer Reviews during FP in March or 2009 AFG. Original email from Sep 2008 would say CDJ in the app center mailbox.

Forum Member

have any vehicles ever been awarded this late or with excess funds?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Has happened in the past, and the trucks that were awarded in the past few weeks were all originally denied also. Near as I can tell these last 3 rounds were all CDJs that were corrected. That's why the excess fund DJs haven't popped, they don't really know how much is left since some of the prior CDJs are scoring higher than the excess fund candidates. It's a possibility. Also means that those that resubmitted the same app for 2009 will be out of that list and more folks will move up the food chain.

Forum Member

congrats. we too had a 2008 denial and rec'd our award last week. Week before was fire prevention award and the week before was the check for a state matching grant on radios. No more in the pipeline until the 2009 AFG drops for me. I must agree, the help and support easily offered has been a godsend. Six grants since 2004, that i would not have been able to get without the knowledge shared by fellow grant writers. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Default denied as well

We had watched many area departments in our rural community receive these grants for turnout gear and SCBA equipment, and were amazed we did not make the computer cut last year. This week we have received our questions and 1199A and are grateful to be back in the running.

Old turnout gear is horrid, old, smelly and all cut up. Our gear pile is a pile of used hand me downs from other departments that we actually use on the ground during a fireworks fundraiser we do on the 3rd of July each year. You can imagine the condition it is in, lol. 30 Year old turnout gear makes great fire blankets though. The worst part isn't it's condition though, it's that none of it really fits anyone, everyone is running a size too small. Quite fun when you are entering a smoke filled home and trying to lift your legs, but at least we all get good exercise trying to move in tight bunker pants.

Anyways, glad reading over everyones post that our letters weren't a mistake and we do really have a chance. have mailed in our 1199A and replied with our questions already and looking forward to hearing the outcome soon!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by northofnowhere View Post
    Anyways, glad reading over everyones post that our letters weren't a mistake and we do really have a chance. have mailed in our 1199A and replied with our questions already and looking forward to hearing the outcome soon!
    And you will be. Put the bubbly on ice, pop the cork in a few weeks

Forum Member

Just found out that another dept. I wrote for was awarded today for $60k for SCBA. I guess last year wasnt so bad for me after all. 1 Engine, 5 equipment. They had 20 year old SCBA.

Forum Member

Receiving these emails are the kind that would make my knees weak while reading them. Kurt always said "It ain't over till it's over." I'm begining to understand what he meant now, but also realize these grant applications have enough hills and valleys in the process to make one looney.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Attack6 View Post
    Just found out that another dept. I wrote for was awarded today for $60k for SCBA. I guess last year wasnt so bad for me after all. 1 Engine, 5 equipment. They had 20 year old SCBA.
    Way to go Tom. Keep writing and winning.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Congrats again this week, Tom

Forum Member

Thanks SLY4420. Now waiting to hear on that DCNR grant for PA. Have heard that only 200 grants were received. At 22 million being awarded and the largest grant being $250,000, the chances look good.

Thread Information