MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter layoffs in Osceola County

To all my fellow brother and sister firefighters as well as the future firefighters and families of all of us, I am posting this on behalf of our department that is facing a very rough time. Our county commissioners are proposing that we look at laying off firefighters and closing stations. The County Manager has already laid off over 100 county employees yesterday morning without any warning, including several chiefs and training staff from the fire department, as well as our fleet maintence and fire marshalls. As we all know closing stations and laying off firefighters really affects the public the worst. All of this is because they would rather not raise taxes to cause the citizens less stress so instead they lay off over 100 county workers, who are now stressed about not having an income...how does that make sense? Any support any of you guys can give with this situation would be appreciated, especially if you live in Osceola County this directly affects how well we are able to respond to emergencies that may affect you or your loved ones.

Please contact your commissioners...all of them and tell them to keep our fire stations open and do not decrease any level of service in Osceola County: Commissioner John Quinones johnq@osceola.org Commissioner Fred Hawkins fhaw@osceola.org Commissio...ner Ken Smith ken.smith@osceola.org Commissioner Mike Harford michael.harford@osceola.org Commissioner Brandon Arrington barr@osceola.org

If you haven't seen any of the news coverage on this yet here are some of the links:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7623061.story

http://www.wftv.com/osceolacounty/20475634/detail.html

http://www.wftv.com/news/20467106/detail.html

Forum Member

Must be in the Osceala County playbook because your ex-chief that is / was my chief just laid off 35 at our department (1/3rd of the department) and is threateniing to lay off another 30 or so more.

Forum Member

Ok i understand dont raise taxes but is everyone OK, if you can do the job safely, just not fill any positions that are vacant .. save money thru attrition?

This is the only way i think we should lose public safety.

I think once hired you should NEVER layoff public safety.
    ** UNLESS, like a whole frigin bunch of people leave**

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lehigh Acres

Medic 563, I am was so upset to hear about what happened over there. From everything I've read about what happened, it sounds all too familiar. It seems like one person goes against all the negotiations and things that were discussed between the union and commissioners and decides to be the "hero to the people" by saving them from increased taxes. Has the union been able to do anything to help since the layoffs? Are they able to fight it at all? I know Orlando is still in having legal disputes about the layoffs they were going to make. Let me know if there's anything we can do to help.

Forum Member

All I will say is I am pretty nervous. I don't even have a badge number yet in Osceola as im still a probie medic and I fear I will lose my job if St. 52 closes which might be a reality shortly.

Its a sad time in this country... and this county...

I feel for everyone who is going or may be soon going down the same path.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    All I will say is I am pretty nervous. I don't even have a badge number yet in Osceola as im still a probie medic and I fear I will lose my job if St. 52 closes which might be a reality shortly.

Its a sad time in this country... and this county...

I feel for everyone who is going or may be soon going down the same path.
    This really sucks! I am sorry for you guys, OFD, and Leigh Acres FD down south. I am nervous too. I work for Orange County and I been on for 16 months. I don't how things will be in next couple of years. It is very stressful and nerve racking to see Departments in my region having difficulty with their budgets. I am hopeful that things turn around soon. I started medic school last week, just in case things get worse.

Forum Member

wow this is not good..i was looking forward to applying with osceola county this year.

Forum Member

My neighbor just told me that his dept, West Palm Beach, just hired a company to do a cost cutting/efficiency analysis for $87,000( or the salary+benefits for a probie FF) and the outcome was this: change 24/48 with a 3 week Kelly to 48/96 and layoff 31-51 FF's pluse close down 2 rescues which the city won't even go for, great usage of tax dollars. One of our neighboring cities, Riviera Beach is going to layoff 22 guys and close one station and we are still being told we may lose 5 to 10 guys and close down a Rescue. Its bad all over.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

We shut down a station (quint & rescue) plus an additional rescue. So far the union has not been able to do anything about stopping the layoffs, they were able to prolong the inevitable from when the news first hit and hopefully we have a good shot at the new SAFER grant. I'm one of the lucky ones that found another job but there are still many that havent. Rumor is that anotehr department that happens to be hiring is going to give some preference to qualified people that were just laid off from us. I have been a FF/PM for 10+ years and at Lehigh for just about 3 years and had been promoted already.

Forum Member

All of this is because they would rather not raise taxes to cause the citizens less stress so instead they lay off over 100 county workers, who are now stressed about not having an income...how does that make sense?
    Stress out 100 county workers or 1000's of people (voters)? You bet it makes sense.

It sucks...but to a politician...it makes all the sense in the world.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information