MembersZone Subscriber

Default Off duty infractions.

Does anyone have information on the rights of a supervisor to deal with an off duty infraction that was reported by the involved person. The involved person was the person the infraction was committed against.
    Last edited by chiefbenh13; 08-21-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Clearer explanation

Default Behavior issues

I would like to not dwell on what is a Chiefs offical responsibilty as to what is IN HOUSE-On or OFF duty, that pretty much says it right there...outside the house is questionable only if its not a Crime...even so its a "conduct unbecoming" infraction in my book....across the board...same as Miltary...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefbenh13 View Post
    Does anyone have information on the rights of a supervisor to deal with an off duty infraction that was reported by the involved person. The involved person was the person the infraction was committed against.
    You are not providing enough information here- Are you suggesting that two off-duty members were involved in some sort of conflict?

I dont think you have any rights at all to deal with something that occurred off duty, unless it creates a hostile work environment between the two parties, which then I believe you could possibly transfer personnel to avoid any potential conflict, however you would have to be extremely careful to avoid any appearance of issuing punitive transfers. I would consult with your solicitor for more detailed information.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bearnpa1 View Post
    I would like to not dwell on what is a Chiefs offical responsibilty as to what is IN HOUSE-On or OFF duty, that pretty much says it right there...outside the house is questionable only if its not a Crime...even so its a "conduct unbecoming" infraction in my book....across the board...same as Miltary...
    The difference is that its a fire dept., not the military. Conduct is covered by 2 totally separate legal systems as well as labor codes, HR issues. It may be covered if the dept does have a formal code of conduct policy.

Forum Member

In our department if it involves a crime, it must be immediately reported, conflict between members may be discussed but like FWD said transferring of certain one(s) involved may be necessary to keep the fighting down. several years ago we had a guy who went through a divorce due to another guy on his shift being with his wife and later they got married.

Forum Member

I know a couple of guys who have gotten in trouble off-duty and all were suspeneded without pay for conduct unbecoming. HR said you portray the image of the fire department on or off-duty.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Yes more info is needed. Are we talking something like a DWI? Something that is "unbecoming of a firefigher"? Would it be a image issue if it were to get out to the public (like a dwi)? I would consult with your department lawyer or someone in the town administration to see how far your able to "reach" in your actions.
    The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men. ~Henry David Thoreau

Thread Information