Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 280
  1. #41
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
    I've got my share of Hussein/Joker posters, and I'm legally putting them up every place I can.
    Good for you, makes you feel big and strong inside.

    If only I could post clever posters instead of arguments...



    ...wow, I just grew up to be just like you.

    Now back to your regularly scheduled "Is Obama a Leader" Thread
    Last edited by MarcusKspn; 08-24-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin


  2. #42
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Wow. I better bring my dog in at night.

    You need to see someone, dude. You are in dire need of help.
    I don't have a dog. But look into the east and look for a risen star. We agree on point two.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #43
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonbat
    I've got my share of Hussein/Joker posters, and I'm legally putting them up every place I can.
    Do that. Despite your continued entertaining remarks on his citizenship, he's still president and will be at least until Jan. 2013. Possibly Jan. 2017.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    IT wasn't just sc, Mr. Holier-than-thou. It was YOU TOO!
    Yes, I fell into his trap, my apologies.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    So, it's not okay to compare Obama's style to another president?

    I think it's fine.

    .
    Comparison to others is for another place. This thread is about the lack of leadership shown so far.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Fair enough. The main criticism here about being a good versus a bad leader has been the lack of oratory skills when speaking from a podium.

    Is that the main quality now considered to be whether a leader is considered good or bad?
    A leader has a vision, makes the vision clear, and works to get to that vision. So far we don't know what the vision is nor do we know the direction.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Good for you, makes you feel big and strong inside.

    If only I could post clever posters instead of arguments...



    ...wow, I just grew up to be just like you.

    Now back to your regularly scheduled "Is Obama a Leader" Thread
    That is funny!!! Thanks.

    So the Obama is or is not a leader. Does anyone have examples of where he showed leadership?

  8. #48
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Good for you, makes you feel big and strong inside.
    No, it reminds more and more people of the clown they elected, and the socialist agenda that he's pushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Wow. I better bring my dog in at night.
    Why, I love dogs. And you chose your dog, it didn't chose you, why would I hold that against him/her? Besides, why would I want to harm the smartest person in your house?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You need to see someone, dude. You are in dire need of help.
    Talk about childish remarks. Stick to solving arson Deputy Fife, leave the diagnosis to people who have an IQ higher than their age.
    Last edited by txgp17; 08-25-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  9. #49
    Forum Member VinnieB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the couch in my skivvies
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    I don't think his group uses the word "leader"...I think they prefer...."Revolutionary" instead...
    IACOJ Member

  10. #50
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    So the Obama is or is not a leader. Does anyone have examples of where he showed leadership?
    By putting forth a demeanor that has restored faith in the market place. Managing two wars and economic crisis is not an easy task. The DJIA is up almost 50% since he took office when many conservative pundits were claiming the market place was voting as the DJIA plummetted to 6500. They were hammering him as the cause of the fall, but of course is not part of the reason why the DJIA has started to recover.

    You should know that since you cracked under the mere weight of a credit card agreement.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  11. #51
    Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    By putting forth a demeanor that has restored faith in the market place. Managing two wars and economic crisis is not an easy task. The DJIA is up almost 50% since he took office when many conservative pundits were claiming the market place was voting as the DJIA plummetted to 6500. They were hammering him as the cause of the fall, but of course is not part of the reason why the DJIA has started to recover.

    You should know that since you cracked under the mere weight of a credit card agreement.
    Yet again, YOU ARE WRONG. It's up 20%
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=%5ED...g=d&z=66&y=132
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

  12. #52
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb View Post
    Yet again, YOU ARE WRONG. It's up 20%
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=%5ED...g=d&z=66&y=132
    On March 9, the market closed at 6,547. As of this writing the DJIA is at 9,568.

    That equates to 46%. Which is almost 50%.

    If you are a firefighter, the written exam in your locale must not include a math section.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  13. #53
    Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    On March 9, the market closed at 6,547. As of this writing the DJIA is at 9,568.

    That equates to 46%. Which is almost 50%.

    If you are a firefighter, the written exam in your locale must not include a math section.
    You wrote, "since [Obama] took office." That was January 20 by my calculations, not March 9. And the Yahoo page shows that from January 20 to August 26, the increase was almost exactly 20%.

    I guess your exam didn't have a reading OR math portion.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

  14. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    By putting forth a demeanor that has restored faith in the market place. Managing two wars and economic crisis is not an easy task. The DJIA is up almost 50% since he took office when many conservative pundits were claiming the market place was voting as the DJIA plummetted to 6500. They were hammering him as the cause of the fall, but of course is not part of the reason why the DJIA has started to recover.

    You should know that since you cracked under the mere weight of a credit card agreement.
    Jan 20 2009 DOW closed at 7959 Aug 23, 2009 DOW closed at 9545, That is a 20% increase. However, what government does has very little to do with the DJIA. Investors buy stock based on how mush risk they are willing to take and well the stock will perform in relation to others. Some people buy stock in a company through the employee stock plan. Still others buy stock in a company because they like the name, GE, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.... You are only fooling yourself if you believe the government controls the economy.

    Unemployment continues to rise. Housing starts are down, housing sales are down. Banks have been given huge sums of money, yet are not lending as promised.

    2 wars that were set up and operational when he took office. There was even a plan in place for withdrawal form Iraq.

    Lack of leadership, I will give a couple of big blunders here

    The nearly trillion dollar bailout that has done nothing. Banks were given money to free up assets and encourage lending. That has not happened. Additionally, he pushed for the legislation, signed the legislation, they cried when AIG gave out the bonuses he authorized.

    Fast Forward to health care debate. Maddam Pelosi is saying one thing, Harry Reid another, Barbie Boxer still another , and Kathy Sebillius is constantly revising her statements. He can't even bring the people of his own party who are most closely aligned with his views together. There is no clear consistent message.

    To be fair, he did get the cash for clunkers through. Although it has failed in getting the cash to the dealers he cannot be blamed for that. That is just government and its bureaucratic fumbling at its best. The objective of the program was to get people out of less fuel efficient vehicles into more efficient vehicles. I estimate about 750,000 vehicles were purchased under the program. There are roughly 63 million new cars sold every year. So this program got about 10% of the new car sales. How many people were getting new cars anyway is the question that needs to be answered.

  15. #55
    Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Jan 20 2009 DOW closed at 7959 Aug 23, 2009 DOW closed at 9545, That is a 20% increase. However, what government does has very little to do with the DJIA. Investors buy stock based on how mush risk they are willing to take and well the stock will perform in relation to others. Some people buy stock in a company through the employee stock plan. Still others buy stock in a company because they like the name, GE, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.... You are only fooling yourself if you believe the government controls the economy.
    .....


    To be fair, he did get the cash for clunkers through. Although it has failed in getting the cash to the dealers he cannot be blamed for that. That is just government and its bureaucratic fumbling at its best. The objective of the program was to get people out of less fuel efficient vehicles into more efficient vehicles. I estimate about 750,000 vehicles were purchased under the program. There are roughly 63 million new cars sold every year. So this program got about 10% of the new car sales. How many people were getting new cars anyway is the question that needs to be answered.
    1. Most people buy stock through mutual funds, such as they would own in their 401Ks or in their pension plans. The stock is purchased mostly based on anticipation of future growth and appreciation, stability or income (dividends). Government behavior can, and does, affect stock pricing. Considering the US government's budget is roughly 20% of the GDP, it does play a role in the economy.
    2. 10% of 63 million is 6.3 million, not 750,000. However, it appears the number of new cars sold in the US is closer to 6 or 7 million, so I guess you left out a decimal.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

  16. #56
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts
    Jan 20 2009 DOW closed at 7959 Aug 23, 2009 DOW closed at 9545, That is a 20% increase. However, what government does has very little to do with the DJIA. Investors buy stock based on how mush risk they are willing to take and well the stock will perform in relation to others. Some people buy stock in a company through the employee stock plan. Still others buy stock in a company because they like the name, GE, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.... You are only fooling yourself if you believe the government controls the economy.
    I wrote "since" he took office, not "when" he took office. Big difference.

    You continue to prove through your inability to read simple English why a credit card agreement drove you into BK.

    You're one of the few who believes the government is NOT a significant factor in a nation's economy.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  17. #57
    Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I wrote "since" he took office, not "when" he took office. Big difference.
    Using your contortions, George Bush oversaw a 94.4% increase in the DJIA in just 5 years, which is roughly a 14% annual return.

    (7286 on 10-09-02 to 14,164 on 10-09-07).
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

  18. #58
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb View Post
    Using your contortions, George Bush oversaw a 94.4% increase in the DJIA in just 5 years, which is roughly a 14% annual return.

    (7286 on 10-09-02 to 14,164 on 10-09-07).
    I was referring to the entire length of Obama's term to date. Why don't take a look at the DJIA during the entire length of Bush's term? When he took office the DJIA was roughly 10,700. When he left it was around 7,950.

    So using your keen math skills, how about you tell us if the market was higher or lower from when he took office versus when he left.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  19. #59
    Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I was referring to the entire length of Obama's term to date. Why don't take a look at the DJIA during the entire length of Bush's term? When he took office the DJIA was roughly 10,700. When he left it was around 7,950.

    So using your keen math skills, how about you tell us if the market was higher or lower from when he took office versus when he left.
    You can't even decide which lie to follow. First, you state "since he took office" the DJIA was up 50%. That was proven a completely false statement; it's up 20%. Then you say you didn't mean the entire length of Obama's term, you meant since March 9, so the market is up 46%. Now you say you were referring to "the entire length of Obama's term to date."

    Which do you want to use? I know it's asking a lot when you fudge numbers and fail to do any research of facts, but you really should try to stick to one topic.

    Typical...you post something, get proven wrong, try to backtrack, get proven wrong again, and then say everyone just doesn't understand. And you wonder why so many Americans don't understand what the Democrats actually want to do with health care reform...
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

  20. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb View Post
    1. Most people buy stock through mutual funds, such as they would own in their 401Ks or in their pension plans. The stock is purchased mostly based on anticipation of future growth and appreciation, stability or income (dividends). Government behavior can, and does, affect stock pricing. Considering the US government's budget is roughly 20% of the GDP, it does play a role in the economy.
    That is correct. It is the fund manager that is buying and selling stocks daily, not the individual

    However, the Government spending is 30% in Military, 30% on Social Programs, and 30% on Social Security. So really anything this folks think they are doing to "fix" or "break" the economy is nothing more than a pipe dream. The arrogance of these people running this country continues to shine through.

    2. 10% of 63 million is 6.3 million, not 750,000. However, it appears the number of new cars sold in the US is closer to 6 or 7 million, so I guess you left out a decimal.
    Yup, I missed, it is 1% of the cars. $3 billion divided by $4,000 comes out to 750,000. I guess this makes it a worse program. Oh well.
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 08-26-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is Pres. Obama Lying?
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 10:24 PM
  2. Pres. Obama and the Disabled
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 12:53 PM
  3. FDNY - Article from "The Chief Leader" (warning - Long)
    By martinez24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 05:44 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 07:06 AM
  5. "Boy, this ****es me off!!", "This is SICK!!", "Prejudice/HATE are BAD
    By RspctFrmCalgary in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 02:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts