Forum Member

Default anyone familiar with Vancouver Fire & Rescue? (B.C., Canada)

I'm very interested in a career with Vancouver Fire & Rescue, and I was hoping I could find out more about them from some of you who may be familiar with them.

I've been researching the dept. for some time now but I still have some questions.

I was especially wondering if any of yall have gone through the process to legally work in Canada or no someone who has. Being a natural born US citizen, I'm just curious how long this would take me to achieve and if that is a hurdle that's required before I even apply for VFR.

Just curious, thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

It's virtually impossible to get a job in Canada as an American. You either need to be sponsored by an employer or a canadian family member. Every hiring process in Canada has "the ability to legally work in Canada" as an application prerequisite.

You'll find much more information about Vancouver Fire here:

firehall.com

Also, most large Canadian Fire departments (especially B.C. and Alberta) require FF1, FF2, and an airbrake certification (similar to CDL). (Calgary and Edmonton are exceptions)

Good luck!

Forum Member

Thanks secmas12, that's a very useful site. I'm still trying to sift thru all of the info I'm finding there.

No worries, I do have my FF1, FF2, Driver/Pump Operator, along with Hazmat Awareness, Hazmat Ops, and Hazmat Tech. I've got the IFSAC seals for all those so I'm not too worried about reciprocity. I do have my Texas Class B license, which is an air brake endorsement so I should be good in that respect too.

I'm mostly wondering if anyone knows of any US citizens being offered a job in BC or Canada for that matter. I'd like to know how difficult it is to get "sponsored" like you mention and if it's even worth the headache. Since I don't have a Canadian family member, I wouldn't have the luxury of making these arrangements pre- job offer.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Forum Member

You won't like our healthcare system

Seriously, what's attracting you to VanCity? What's wrong with any other major city...
    Cities like Calgary and Edmonton are hiring great numbers right now

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    You won't like our healthcare system

Seriously, what's attracting you to VanCity? What's wrong with any other major city...
    Cities like Calgary and Edmonton are hiring great numbers right now
    Ha!

Well honestly, I've never been to either. I've been to Vancouver a few times and I always thought it was an interesting place. From what I can tell, VF&R sounds like it'd be a fun place to work and they see a good share of calls. The area's beautiful and I'd like to be near the Pacific. Also, being from WA state I want to be within driving distance of all of my friends & family down there. So it's close enough, but not too close if you know what I mean. Calgary & Edmonton is a bit too far of a stretch for me.

Besides, I already have a job in a great department so I'm trying to be a little picky. So unless you can tell me of something I don't know, it's on my list of top choices.

Forum Member

As has been pointed out, there are a lot of hoops to jump through just to work in Canada, whether you want to get on VFR or work at Denny's. After you've satisfied the legal requirements to work in Canada, then you have to get hired, which isn't any easier than it is in the US. Lots of Canadian citizens want to be Firefighters too.

VFR, as most places in Canada, work 10/14s, no 24s.

Very limited EMS, equivalent to first responder in the US. That may be good or bad, depending on what you want. If you ever aspired to be a FF/PM, you won't be able to in Vancouver.

Try to get on in Seattle, and go to Vancouver every weekend.
    Last edited by sfd1992; 08-26-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Thread Information