Thread: Galviston Texas

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Galviston Texas

Gonna be down for a few days this week. Any thing worth seeing or doing?

Forum Member

Mike,
    There is tons to do in Galveston. The beach, Gaidos seafood is good. There is Moody Gardens on the east end of the island. When you going to be there? I will be heading to the Island on 8/30. Let me know. Maybe I can play tour guide for a little bit.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

When are you comng?
    How long are you gong to be here for?
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfd838 View Post
    When are you comng?
    How long are you gong to be here for?
    I'll be down for 2 weeks starting 8/30. Working in Texas City and staying on the island.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

how far are you from buffalo? I'm heading up there thursday for the funerals
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfd838 View Post
    how far are you from buffalo? I'm heading up there thursday for the funerals
    I'll be attending Jonathan Croom's wake on Thursday night and will be attending both funerals on friday. I am about 20 minutes north of Buffalo. Fly out of there quite regularly to Hobby for work.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Despite the hurricane there's still plenty to do in Galveston.

First - Gaido's is in my opinion overpriced - if you have to have their food go to the cafe attached called Casey's - same food, lower prices.

But if you want high-end seafood I would recommend Clary's over Gaido's:
    (409)740-0771 - 8509 Teichman Rd, Galveston, TX. And frankly if just want good cheap seafood I'd recommend Shrimp n Stuff over both of them: 39th Blvd & Ave O -(409) 763-2805. Last time I ate in Galveston my wife and I got two poboy's and some gumbo at Shrimp n Stuff for what one poboy plus a glass of tea cost @ Casey's. LOL.

You didn't mention what you like to do? For the wife / doing something indoors you can hit The Strand - it is the local shopping district found in any tourist town. Don't eat down there except ice cream @ La King's Confectionery 2323 Strand, or at the Star Drug Store 510 23rd St. Both have the old drug-store soda shop feel. The rest of it is meant for tourists.
    If you like old architecture there are three mansions to tour:

Bishop's Palace
    1402 Broadway
    Phone: (409)762-2475

Moody Mansion Museum
    2618 Broadway
    Phone: (409)762-7668

1859 Ashton Villa
    2328 Broadway
    Phone: (409)762-3933

Again a wife pleaser if you have one.

If not head over to the Lone Star Flight Museum to see lots of cool old war birds: 2002 Terminal Dr.
    (next to Moody Gardens & Galveston Airport)
    Galveston, TX 77554 Phone: (409)740-7722

Also check out Moody Gardens - they have a couple of pyramids - one is an aquarium where you walk underneath the fish and the other is a tropical garden
    (http://www.moodygardens.com/attractions/)
    One Hope Boulevard
    Galveston, Texas 77554 (MAP)
    Phone:
    1-800-582-4673

Finally I would grab a bike and ride up and down the seawall. Plenty of more tourist shops if you want a t-shirt. Decent view. It's still plenty warm down here to swim.

I'm sure others will have more to add but Galveston itself has a website with a load of other suggestions depending on your preferences: http://www.galveston.com/default.asp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by technofiend View Post
    Despite the hurricane there's still plenty to do in Galveston.

First - Gaido's is in my opinion overpriced - if you have to have their food go to the cafe attached called Casey's - same food, lower prices.

But if you want high-end seafood I would recommend Clary's over Gaido's:
    (409)740-0771 - 8509 Teichman Rd, Galveston, TX. And frankly if just want good cheap seafood I'd recommend Shrimp n Stuff over both of them: 39th Blvd & Ave O -(409) 763-2805. Last time I ate in Galveston my wife and I got two poboy's and some gumbo at Shrimp n Stuff for what one poboy plus a glass of tea cost @ Casey's. LOL.

You didn't mention what you like to do? For the wife / doing something indoors you can hit The Strand - it is the local shopping district found in any tourist town. Don't eat down there except ice cream @ La King's Confectionery 2323 Strand, or at the Star Drug Store 510 23rd St. Both have the old drug-store soda shop feel. The rest of it is meant for tourists.
    If you like old architecture there are three mansions to tour:

Bishop's Palace
    1402 Broadway
    Phone: (409)762-2475

Moody Mansion Museum
    2618 Broadway
    Phone: (409)762-7668

1859 Ashton Villa
    2328 Broadway
    Phone: (409)762-3933

Again a wife pleaser if you have one.

If not head over to the Lone Star Flight Museum to see lots of cool old war birds: 2002 Terminal Dr.
    (next to Moody Gardens & Galveston Airport)
    Galveston, TX 77554 Phone: (409)740-7722

Also check out Moody Gardens - they have a couple of pyramids - one is an aquarium where you walk underneath the fish and the other is a tropical garden
    (http://www.moodygardens.com/attractions/)
    One Hope Boulevard
    Galveston, Texas 77554 (MAP)
    Phone:
    1-800-582-4673

Finally I would grab a bike and ride up and down the seawall. Plenty of more tourist shops if you want a t-shirt. Decent view. It's still plenty warm down here to swim.

I'm sure others will have more to add but Galveston itself has a website with a load of other suggestions depending on your preferences: http://www.galveston.com/default.asp

Well if you are in the mood for some good Cajun food try Benno's I think its on 19th and Seawall. I agree that Gaido's is overpriced but the atmosphere is pretty good. I like the Saltgrass Steakhouses, but you cant throw a rock with out hitting one of those in the Houston/Galveston area. LOL. The seawall is a good place to go and walk lots of stuff to see and do along the beach.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

All this talk is making me hungry,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

The last I saw this island is still in a mess, but don't let that stop you from going down! Remember this is hurricane season and yep, it might happen all over again.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

FH Mag/.com Contributor

NASA is just a few exits up 45 from the Island but with the weather looking nice like it is if you're down to unwind then will be hard to get off of the beach. Water is real nice this time of year. I think Schlitterbahn (water park) is back up and running. Haven't made it there myself but heard it's prety good.

Plenty to do up in Houston, only about an hour from Galveston to hit downtown, Museum District, etc. Find yourself a Goode Company BBQ or Spring Creek BBQ. Won't find any true cheesesteaks around here but some close. Just can't get an Amoroso roll to make it a true Philly.

Forum Member

WTF would you want a cheese steak for in the land of Brisket and BBQ? If and when I get to the the Lone star state,it's gonna be with me starved so I can get some GOOD BBQ.And drink myself foolish(shouldn't take long).Gumbo might be another treat.Now I'm hungry again,T.C.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    WTF would you want a cheese steak for in the land of Brisket and BBQ? If and when I get to the the Lone star state,it's gonna be with me starved so I can get some GOOD BBQ.And drink myself foolish(shouldn't take long).Gumbo might be another treat.Now I'm hungry again,T.C.
    Cause I moved here from Philly in 2000 and don't get up there often enough to get my fill. I get plenty of BBQ & Tex-Mex. I need Tastykakes and Cheesesteaks.

And whenever you get here I'll take you to the place for BBQ, out in the western 'burbs. Dozier's has been making it in Fulshear since 1954. Everyone I've talked to that's moved away from here wants to hit there first when they get back. 2+ hours from Galveston which is why I didn't mention it.

Forum Member

Grand Prize in Texas City is some good barbecue too! That or Gus' but that is more of a dive joint out of the way but good food.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Is Woody's Coastal Cantina still there? It's a dive but had a great view, it was down by Stewart Beach.

Forum Member

Woody's was there pre-Ike. I drove by there the last time I was in town and it looks like it is still standing but not inhabited. I will have to check it out when I go back. You're right its a dive but the view is awsome.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

You totally have to go to Schlitterbahn. Also +++ for the Saltgrass on Seawall.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Cause I moved here from Philly in 2000 and don't get up there often enough to get my fill. I get plenty of BBQ & Tex-Mex. I need Tastykakes and Cheesesteaks.
    Hehehehehehehehe....Hey T.C. remember this?????

BC79er, you should enjoy this:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...t=cheesesteaks

And, have TastyKakes shipped to you!!!!

https://shop.tastykake.com/b2c/b2c/d...0000010%29/.do

Didn't we chit chat on here once before- You from Doylestown????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Now Buff,you KNOW I favor a good cheese steak. But NOT if I've traveled all the way to Texas. Mesqute smoked Q with a just cut slab of genuine Texas beef.Or pig if it's done right.Oh yeah,I LOVED that thread! T.C.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Hehehehehehehehe....Hey T.C. remember this?????

BC79er, you should enjoy this:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...t=cheesesteaks

And, have TastyKakes shipped to you!!!!

https://shop.tastykake.com/b2c/b2c/d...0000010%29/.do

Didn't we chit chat on here once before- You from Doylestown????
    We most certainly did, Bucks County 79er from the start. We stay 2 doors down from 19s when we're in the area, taken in a few runs from there.

Don't need Tastykakes shipped anytime soon, don't really need the BBQ or cheesesteaks either. Down 15lbs from May 21st. If you're bored you can read all about that on the home page here at .com, Motorcycle article. Got 30lbs to go and a BMI to drop on top of that before I'll let myself slip a little. Until then got to thin out and get the lungs back. Live burn last Saturday, air consumption drill tonight underscored that need.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work in tc the best place to eat is prob grand prize for BBQ and i'd say bravos for mexican, what are you doing in gslveston if you dont mind me asking?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TXFF2098 View Post
    I work in tc the best place to eat is prob grand prize for BBQ and i'd say bravos for mexican, what are you doing in gslveston if you dont mind me asking?
    Actually I'm working in TC and staying in Galveston because there is at least something to do there at night. Mostly been going out to the strand and such at night. Occasionally traveling the beach. Its been a decent trip so far.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Thread Information