Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Opticom integrated

We have a Whelen 54" L.E.D. light bar with an integrated opticom. It is hard mounted to our grass truck a ford 4 door 350. Our problem is that as we come down the hill in town it will not capture the light for us based on the height of the truck and the hill involved. We are affraid that if we readjust the reciver on the light itself our other trucks will not grab the light. So on to the question can we adjust the opticom in the bar or is that not possible? If not anyone have any other ideas for us?

Opticom emitters send out a very broad signal that is recievable at distances over 1500 feet. The hill may obstruct the signal, but there is most likely very little you need or can do to the emitter. The better idea may be to change the position of the receiver - perhaps higher on the pole than where it is mounted now.

Your other trucks will be fine as the emitter is probably mounted in a higher location due to the size of the apparatus and are in turn able to emit over the hill sooner.

On a side note, many retards around here think the same thing. I see many Opticom Emitters mounted on the cab pointing up towards the sky. I guess that is okay if you want the signal to change when you are under the light instead of well ahead of it - crazy.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Even though your opticom is hard mounted in the light bar, more than likely you can still adjust it. Just loosen the two side nuts, and slightly adjust it upwards. You don't need anything drastic, just a slight angle upwards.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Even though your opticom is hard mounted in the light bar, more than likely you can still adjust it. Just loosen the two side nuts, and slightly adjust it upwards. You don't need anything drastic, just a slight angle upwards.

FM1
    Most likely there is some adjustment, but form the OP's description, pointing it upwards will make it even worse.

If the obstruction is the hill, it is already pointed upward as the vehicle goes up the hill and is most likely shooting over the top of the receiver. Angling it upwards will only make the problem worse.

In all honesty, if this is the only intersection that you are having issues with, I would leave it alone and just know that it doesn't work so good there with your brush truck.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Did a little further investigating on the bar side. It is not adjustable internal. We can by a 5" lift kit for the bar but not sure if that will help.
    The hill is a down hill situation with a small flat spot for RR tracks. The light is a "temp" until they fix the intersection in 5-50 years for now. Should we ask the state to realign the opticom reciever on the light or do the lift kit? Any ideas.

Default Please call me to discuss

Quote Originally Posted by FIREINSTR View Post
    We have a Whelen 54" L.E.D. light bar with an integrated opticom. It is hard mounted to our grass truck a ford 4 door 350. Our problem is that as we come down the hill in town it will not capture the light for us based on the height of the truck and the hill involved. We are affraid that if we readjust the reciver on the light itself our other trucks will not grab the light. So on to the question can we adjust the opticom in the bar or is that not possible? If not anyone have any other ideas for us?
    My name is Pat Cosgrove, I am the Technical Service Engineer for the Opticom System. Please give me a call at 1-800-258-4610 (select the technical service option, followed by the Opticom option) We can discuss the issue in more detail.

Forum Member

If it's the only intersection that is giving you a problem, see if the receiver can be mounted higher on the pole. Or move the receiver to a separate pole ahead of the intersection. The last place I worked had an intersection around a corner.....don't ask....they moved the receiver to a pole about 200 feet before the intersection. That way the receiver would pick up the signal well before the engine company arrived.

Forum Member

Is the light bar mounted parallel to the truck roof or to the ground, the f-series truck roofs are slanted down somewhat towards the front. Typically custom roofs are flat. You could try an adjustable light bar bracket if this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a
    Most likely there is some adjustment, but form the OP's description, pointing it upwards will make it even worse.

If the obstruction is the hill, it is already pointed upward as the vehicle goes up the hill and is most likely shooting over the top of the receiver. Angling it upwards will only make the problem worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREINSTR
    Our problem is that as we come down the hill in town it will not capture the light for us based on the height of the truck and the hill involved.
    If your going down hill, you need to adjust it up. It won't take alot of upwards adjustment to hit that receiver, and still hit the others.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Default RE: Opticom Adjustment

Have the OPTICOM receiver on the light standard adjusted to it will activate appropriately on ALL your apparatus. Good idea also, to have a verfication system (check) on a periodic basis that the Opticom System actually works. Might save you some liabilty issues.

Thread Information