Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Senator Ted Kennedy has died

Ted Kennedy has passed away at the age of 77. Just saw it on the 11PM news, haven't looked for an article yet.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer
    Reuters
    August 25, 2009 10:58 PM
    StoryPhotos ( 1 )
    A file photo of Sen. Edward Kennedy from September 2007. Kennedy passed away Tuesday at the age of 77.
    Photograph by: Mandel Ngan, AFP/Getty Images

BOSTON — U.S. Senator Edward Kennedy, a towering figure in the Democratic Party who took the helm of one of America's most fabled political families after two older brothers were assassinated, has died at age 77, his family said on Wednesday.

"Edward M. Kennedy, the husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle we loved so deeply, died late Tuesday night at home in Hyannis Port (Massachusetts)," the Kennedy family said in a statement.

One of the most influential and longest-serving senators in U.S. history — a liberal standard-bearer who was also known as a consummate congressional deal-maker — Kennedy had been battling brain cancer, which was diagnosed in May 2008.

"We've lost the irreplaceable centre of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," the family statement added.

His death marked the twilight of a political dynasty, and dealt a blow to Democrats as they seek to answer President Barack Obama's call for an overhaul of the health care system. Kennedy had made health care reform his signature cause.

Known as "Teddy," he was the brother of president John Kennedy, assassinated in 1963, senator Robert Kennedy, fatally shot while campaigning for the 1968 Democratic presidential nomination, and Joe Kennedy, a pilot killed in World War Two.

When he first took the Senate seat previously held by John Kennedy in 1962, he was seen as something of a political lightweight who owed his ascent to his famous name.

Yet during his nearly half century in the chamber, Kennedy became known as one of Washington's most effective senators, crafting legislation by working with lawmakers and presidents of both parties, and finding unlikely allies.

At the same time, he held fast to liberal causes deemed anachronistic by the centrist "New Democrats," and was a lightning rod for conservative ire.

He helped enact measures to protect civil and labour rights, expand health care, upgrade schools, increase student aid and contain the spread of nuclear weapons.

"There's a lot to do," Kennedy told Reuters in 2006. "I think most of all it's the injustice that I continue to see and the opportunity to have some impact on it."

After Robert Kennedy's death, Edward was expected to waste little time in vying for the presidency. But in 1969, a young woman drowned after a car Kennedy was driving plunged off a bridge on the Massachusetts resort island of Chappaquiddick after a night of partying.

Kennedy's image took a major hit after it emerged he had failed to report the accident to authorities. He pleaded guilty to leaving the scene and received a suspended sentence.

Kennedy eventually ran for his party's presidential nomination in 1980 but lost to then-President Jimmy Carter.

His presidential ambitions thwarted, Kennedy devoted himself to his Senate career.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
    Rest in peace.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Just another POS that has been sitting in Washington doing nothing except taking all he could take and playing with the women just as JFK & RFK did!!!

No big lost for the USA!!! Maybe the Commonwealth of Mass will find a good person to be their senator!

Sherri he wasn't liked that well hon!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I realize that ... he still is a human being though, and as such, feel he is worthy of the common courtesy - past history aside. I posted the news because whether he was liked or not, he holds a spot in the history of your country.

Now if someone like Charles Manson kicked the bucket, I wouldn't waste my breath telling him to rest in peace.

I feel more for what the Kennedy family is going through, after just losing their matriarch.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Better yet, rest in peace Mary Jo Kopechene.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Better yet, rest in peace Mary Jo Kopechene.

Thats what I was thinking.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    I realize that ... he still is a human being though, and as such, feel he is worthy of the common courtesy - past history aside. I posted the news because whether he was liked or not, he holds a spot in the history of your country.

Now if someone like Charles Manson kicked the bucket, I wouldn't waste my breath telling him to rest in peace.

I feel more for what the Kennedy family is going through, after just losing their matriarch.
    Not a "spot". "Blot" is the word you're looking for.

The dumbest and laziest of poor lot the twit was placed into high office by a crook and thief (ole Joe Kennedy). If not of royalty in a just world the Swimmer's highest calling would have been pulling crab pots.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kennedy did champion a few very worthwhile laws into existence:

He pushed very hard for the Family and Medical Leave Act (even though we are still way behind the rest of the other industrial nations in that arena).

He was influential in the Good Friday Agreement.

Americans with Disabilities Act.

Minimum Wage Laws.

Hate him as a Democrat and a drunk who killed someone, but also give him a little credit where it is due. I do think that as a career politicians he could have done more. (Why are we worried that Presidents who serve more than 2 terms become Dictators, but the "Lion of the Senate" reigned for how long?)
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information