Forum Member

Default 2009 AFG Vehicle Question

Guru's,
    I have a question on a AFG 2009 Vehicle Grant. Currently we have a fleet of a 1989 Pumper, 1993 Ambulance, 1993 Tanker, 1974 Grass Rig, 1986 Aerial. We have applied for a new pumper so we can put our 1989 into a reserve status since we are using our ladder as our reserve now which is not accessible to all locations. We have had some pump issues in the past few months. My question is we might have come across a 2006 Pumper that is very close to the setup we are looking at. As for price it might be affordable. If we are awarded the grant after purchasing this to help fill our void would we just deny the grant? I feel I put a solid grant app in but if we are not awarded and we let this used truck pass I'm not for sure what we would do. Advice Please!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you bought the 2006 you'd most likely have to turn down the grant since the whole idea was that you couldn't afford anything better/worthwhile and buying a 3 y/o truck is pretty dang new as trucks go. Now if you had all sorts of mechanical problems with the current truck that are taking it out of service for long periods of time and leaving many areas of the district uncovered because the aerial can't access them, then you might want to put in an appeal to allow for an emergency purchase. That way if you are awarded then they'll possibly reimburse 95% of the purchase price of the 2006 and then give the rest of the money on to someone else. PPE and SCBA they have no problem with approving on an emergency purchase, but trucks they've only done in wreck or major failure cases and only a handful at that. Worth a phone call or email to your FPS.

Forum Member

Default To buy or not to buy

If I could afford a 3 year old truck to replace one I granted for, I would buy the truck. Why let go what you can afford and possibly loose if you waited and still not end up with a truck.

It is a gamble no matter how you look at it to wait for AFG. If you bought this truck you are good to go.

Forum Member

I bit my tonuge yesterday, but I can't hold on another day.... I have to throw in my $0.02

If a department can afford to buy a 3 year old Engine, and keep their old engine as a reserve, then why would they think they would deserve a grant, when there are departments that can barely afford the 5% or 10% match on a grant award, that are running antiques as first due.

I know.. I know... risk assessment and mitigation is a function of more than just economic need.... you need to lok at run numbers, population and rea served, etc...
    .. it's just hard for a poor volunteer guy to understand how the feds prioritize and justify some of their awards...

A volunteer depart about an hour away from me heard about my grant writing success, and asked me to write a grant for them for a new tanker. When I found out they had more than enough capital to outright buy the tanker, but they just wanted their "government entitlement" I told them to go pound sand.
    Maybe under the current administration we all just need to get used the idea that the federal government should give us everything we need or want.. and simply sign over our paychecks.
    *sigh* - stepping off my soapbox now - sorry for the rant...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2802 View Post
    I bit my tonuge yesterday, but I can't hold on another day.... I have to throw in my $0.02

If a department can afford to buy a 3 year old Engine, and keep their old engine as a reserve, then why would they think they would deserve a grant, when there are departments that can barely afford the 5% or 10% match on a grant award, that are running antiques as first due.

I know.. I know... risk assessment and mitigation is a function of more than just economic need.... you need to lok at run numbers, population and rea served, etc...
    .. it's just hard for a poor volunteer guy to understand how the feds prioritize and justify some of their awards...

A volunteer depart about an hour away from me heard about my grant writing success, and asked me to write a grant for them for a new tanker. When I found out they had more than enough capital to outright buy the tanker, but they just wanted their "government entitlement" I told them to go pound sand.
    Maybe under the current administration we all just need to get used the idea that the federal government should give us everything we need or want.. and simply sign over our paychecks.
    *sigh* - stepping off my soapbox now - sorry for the rant...
    Andy after having to navigate I-95 through your neck of the woods into the "netherlands" of Miami I am starting to understand why your level of frustration seems to run so high sometimes.LOL! Its been a long time since I was South of Vero and now I remember why! What a zoo that was, even a GPS was of little or no value once off I-95.Coming over tomorrow to watch them light that candle again.Hoep its a go for launch, it was a long dark drive home the other day after the scrub launch.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 08-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information