Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Any E One 135' ladders still around?

I know this model never really took off since the place you need a tall ladder is a city and a 135 ladder without a tiller is not made for cities, but i was just wondering how these have worked out.

Forum Member

i think you just answered your own question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by deputyhunter View Post
    i think you just answered your own question.
    Yeah. I know they are impractical. I was just curious if any departments still had them and how they were working out.

Forum Member

I believe RoofTopTrucky's department currently runs a 135' E-One that is being replaced with an E-One Tiller soon. He will be able to offer up more info but it apparently worked out well for his dept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3 View Post
    I believe RoofTopTrucky's department currently runs a 135' E-One that is being replaced with an E-One Tiller soon. He will be able to offer up more info but it apparently worked out well for his dept.
    Well hopefully he will chime in soon!

I was just curious because it seems like an overall much cheaper to maintain truck considering no rear steering setup nor articulation. I guess some cities who don't have tight streets could make use of it. I know i saw pictures awhile back of Chicago having one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hightstown, NJ

Forum Member

Fort Worth Truck 14 is still in service. It was refurb a few years back.

Forum Member

Monroeville #5 currently has their's for sale. Here is the link.

http://www.mvfd5.com/truck5.php

They are replacing it with an E-one tiller.

Forum Member

Default Oklahoma City

Just got back from ICHIEFS and O/C has a 135' on the floor. They re-furb 2 135',2-95'.2-50' booms saved appox $1.2 m on all the units.SMART!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

DC refurbed one several years ago.

Forum Member

So i guess they are living on through rebuilds. I was simply curious because i remember when it originally came out and my first impression was it is a great idea for modern cities who don't have to deal with very narrow roads. But then it seemed to fade away so i was wondering how those departments that had them liked them. I guess if it was extremely popular they would still be made.

Forum Member

Question

indianoplis still has one in the reserve's used quit regulaly

Forum Member

Thumbs up Engineering marvel

Smoke if ya got em....

Yes, we have and still use our 135' E-one, (see fire562's link) It is a great rig and has been for years. And in contrary to your statement, it's not only cities that could use 135's. Remember it's not just heigth you need to consider it's horizontal reach. Only 2 times during my 12 yrs running the rig has it been special called due to it's heigth. The over all length of the rig, tailboard to tip overhang is only 44' , the OAH is 11'8" and it is without a doubt not only the easiest rig we have to drive but exttremely manuverable for a straight stick and truck. I am trying not to be biased, I really am, but untill you work on the rig and use it you have no idea how unbelieveable it is. THink about it..135' on a jack span just under 14', hell thats next to impossible to find now-a-day's on a 100' aerial.
    Ours was purchased new in '89 and refurbed under boro contract in 2000 where it was pulled apart, rebuilt repainted, new upgraded hydraulic system and upgraded NFPA lighting package, and of course paint and stripe. But even when it went for refurb it was still in great shape.
    As stated above, it is due for replacement (also under boro contract) and since it is no longer available, we looked at every possibility for a replacement and decided on an E-One tiller. It will be a bitter sweet moment when it goes out of service, but who ever buys her is getting one hell of a rig!
    A bit of history....E-One, from what I'm told by contacts at the factory to the best of their recolection, only offered them for about 20 years, ending the production run in 2002. In that time (again from what I'm told) less than 20 were ever built and sold, some one even told me only 12 were ever built. The only ones I know of for sure are Ours, West Landham Hills MD, Oklahoma City, DCFD and Ft. Worth. (Since it is such a uniqe (sp) apparatus and there are only a handfull of "us" I'm trying to colect pictures of all the originals, so if you have one pm me and I'll get you my email.)
    As far as the design it's basically a 100' tower, only instead of a bucket they added another fly section, but kept the waterway at 110' and less of a tip load, only 250 lbs wet. but with a 2.5 to 1 safey ratio i have never felt unsafe working off of it, it is a very stable work "platform."
    NFPA changes for apparatus over the years are some of the reasons they don't offer them anymore. They have talked about redesigning it and bringing it up to standards and offereing it again, but one of the problems they are having is that it will have a travel height over 12'. We mentined in prebuild for our tiller...jokingly....the "upgrade" from the 100' ladder to the 135' ladder. Theye all laughed and the ladder engineer crunched numbers really quick and said it would ahve been 3 ft longer....if they did infact offer it. But it did get him thinking. Now, if they decide to re-offer it now that they are not under the foot of Fed Sig remains to be seen (fed sig was a big part in it's demise i'm told)
    In closing, as much as many people say it was overkill, or not needed, or what ever, you should realy reserve comment untill you actually work from one, i'd be willing to bet your opinion would change.

2 side notes.... the first, when it was purchased in 1989 the 135' cost $425,000. The 100' tiller purchased in Jan of this year cost $1.2 million.

Secondly... and a little more funny. One day during ladder maintanence before it went for re-furb we some how lost interlock on the jacks (old jack system with manual interlock) While the rig was set up with the ladder at full extension stright off the back, they started it back up and applied more down pressure. The front bumper of the rig ever so slowly started to rise up...and up...and up. with the tip of the ladder going down and down and down stopping literaly 2 inches from the ground, but never striking it. Then there it stood ballanced precariously on the back axel. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. I had to look up at the front bumper...and I'm 6'6" tall. They (the guys operating it at the time) did something to the jacks that shifted the weight just right, and the rig ever so slowly sat itself back down on all axles and the 4 out riggers. Of course it was back in the day before cell phone and digital cameras so no one got a picture, but for those that were there...it was truly a site. And for people like you who hear/read about it and think there is no F-in way....I swear on my wofe and kids thats exactly what heppened...and i can understand how you may think I'm full of *****, and if I were you I probably wouldn't believe me either...but it happened.

OK I've been long enough. Hope that answered any questions you had and probably gave you a little more useless info than you needed or even wanted, but it is what it is. Stay Safe guys.
    Last edited by RoofTopTrucky; 08-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Rooftop,

Thank you for one of the greatest, most interesting posts telling a story that i have ever read on this site, and quite frankly, most any site. Very informative and detailed. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to put so much effort into answering a question. Your a perfect example of asset to a forum.

It's interesting that so few were made. Based on what you said about how great it was in so many aspects, you would think E One maybe needs to build one as a demo. Since on paper, to many it seems impractical. But if it's great as you say, and i don't doubt you, maybe others would think differently if they could actually try one out.

Somewhere amongst my mountains of old catalogs i know i have an E-One ladder truck brouchure that had details on it and i am almost positive there was a picture of one in Chicago FD paint. Black roof, CFD logo's and "Chicago Fire Dept" across the front. I can almost swear to it. Have you seen the pictures?

MembersZone Subscriber

Chicago had two of them. They were an '83 and '88. The '83 on a pemfab chasis and the '88 on a federal chasis.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Rooftop,

Thank you for one of the greatest, most interesting posts telling a story that i have ever read on this site, and quite frankly, most any site. Very informative and detailed. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to put so much effort into answering a question. Your a perfect example of asset to a forum.

It's interesting that so few were made. Based on what you said about how great it was in so many aspects, you would think E One maybe needs to build one as a demo. Since on paper, to many it seems impractical. But if it's great as you say, and i don't doubt you, maybe others would think differently if they could actually try one out.

Somewhere amongst my mountains of old catalogs i know i have an E-One ladder truck brouchure that had details on it and i am almost positive there was a picture of one in Chicago FD paint. Black roof, CFD logo's and "Chicago Fire Dept" across the front. I can almost swear to it. Have you seen the pictures?
    Thanks for the props, and glad I could help. I've often wondered myself why more were never made. But as I said, I think it ws one of those things that were looked at as "over kill" or "Not needed" in the fire service before anyone really gave it a chance. I have spoken with a few people that ran them in their depts and they like us, had nothing but good things to say about them.
    Not sure if E-One is still concidering bringing them back, like I said I was told it had been discussed a few times, but I think if they did and it ws marketed correctly it may sell a little better than the first go-round. However if they were to bring it back, I would highly encourage any FD in the market for a straight stick to strongly consider it. 13 story buildings, large residential setbacks, and the closest truck ending up 3rd piece from the house when the engine company practice **** poor engine placement are little if any problem for the 135.
    I didn't know Chicago ran them, wouldn't mind seeing the picture if you can send it.
    I will say this, as excited as we are to get the new Tiller....it will be bitter sweet when it comes in and the 135 goes. We will continue to Truck like we always have, and even though out new truck is about 15' longer there will still be a void in the station.
    Last edited by RoofTopTrucky; 08-30-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

MembersZone Subscriber

As was said above, Oklahoma City just had 2 remounted on Quest chassis.

Forum Member

Syracuse still runs one. While all of our Truck Companies are tower ladders, we still like having a long-reach "straight stick" in the fleet. This unit is assigned to Rescue Company 1 as a special-call rig, it is due at certain target hazards (hospitals, high-rises, Syracuse University dormitories, etc.) or any other alarm at the discretion of the Rescue Company officer. It's a 1985 unit, with extremely low mileage and hours. We just had both lift cylinders rebuilt, and the shift after it was returned to service after the rebuild, it was at a multiple-alarm fire with the tip of the ladder sitting on the 11th-floor balcony at the rear of a senior citizen's high-rise. Not too many rigs could have gotten the position this rig did (I concur with RoofTopTrucky - these rigs are surprisingly maneuverable) behind that building, and NONE of them could have reached the fire floor as this rig did. It still serves a useful purpose, and I wish E-One still made them. I've had it up for replacement in my Capital Improvements Budget for the last ten years, but as it stays in good repair and continually passes its yearly aerial certification, I keep pushing it off another year waiting for a viable replacement to appear on the market. At the moment, there isn't one.

District Chief David B. Reeves
    Superintendent - Division of Maintenance
    Syracuse Fire Department

Here's a nice John Kenealy photo of it:

"SYRACUSE - An ISO Class One Fire Department"

Forum Member

Honestly, I can see where I could use 2 of these 135's within our FD.

I love our E-One HP 100's, they have been very solid and reliable for us. Maintenance and repairs are pretty much straight forward, with an occasional repair to keep us on our toes. And from my reading of this thread, the OAH is below 12 feet. This would fit in all but 2 or 3 stations. I have 2 100 footers that are at/above the 12' height, and can only go to 2-3 stations.

I have to admit, that I'm on RoofTop's bandwagon on the fact that they should be built again. If the 135's outrigger spread is the same as the HP 100's, then sign me up for two of them. From the pics, the only difference between the HP 100 and the 135, is the extra ladder fly. As for the wheel base, and OAL (bumper to bumper height) it looks like they are the same. Which would be awesome for tight streets and neighborhoods.

Add the fact that they are E-Ones, makes me "giddy" all over. :-)

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

never seen a situation where the aerial was too big. a 135 would be a good addition to any fleet.

Forum Member

Default 135'

I think the real reason was that when the new NFPA came out a number of years ago that ladder could'nt meet the new side pull test. I will check with JH to make sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 135 ladder

I know Wash. DC. had one. During a plant inspection trip to E-One about 18 years ago they were building 10 for Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Forum Member

I wonder why they have not went to a 135' tiller?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I wonder why they have not went to a 135' tiller?
    funny you mention that....as a dept that has a 135' and is replacing it with a tiller I asked that question a our pre-build. First and formost, the ladder design no longer meets NFPA standards/testing (not sure exactly how) So first they would have to re-engineer/design the ladder itself. I've been told that it comes up from time to time and has recently been more seriously considered, as to where they are with that I don't know.
    It would add length to the tiller itself. If I remember correctly the length of the actual 135' ladder in the bedded posistion is only like 3 ft longer than a 100'. So right off the bat add 3 ft to the "trailer", the rest of it is how you would spec the cab and chassis.
    We Joke at the station...since we can't get a 135 anymore and went with the 100 ft tiller, we figure when we go down for final inspection/delivery trip in two weeks, they'll tell us their going to offer it again.

Forum Member

Why is a 135' Tiller NFPA compliant but a 135' Ladder is not?

Do thoes Tiller have power steering for the guy in the rear?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information