Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cal Fire Photo

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Cal Fire Photo

I thought this was an interesting photo. Best of luck to the crews working this, and condolences to the two firefighter families.

Thousands flee as California firefight spreads

AFP September 1, 2009 4:01 AM

LOS ANGELES - A giant white cloud engulfed Los Angeles on Tuesday as a deadly massive wildfire spread above the city, and authorities warned it could take two weeks to bring under control.

The huge blaze has already killed two firefighters and emergency services fought scorching heat to rescue five people trapped by flames. About 10,000 people have already been evacuated from their homes.

Flames have ripped through 105,296 acres (42,612 hectares) of tinder-dry forest north of Los Angeles and were still spreading, authorities said.

More than 3,655 firefighters battled the fire in the Angeles National Forest, which sent a huge mushroom cloud of smoke billowing across the city and east toward Las Vegas.

The inferno threatened communications antennas for numerous television and radio stations, cell phone providers and law enforcement agencies on Mount Wilson in the San Gabriel Mountains.

A squadron of aircraft, including eight air tankers and 13 helicopters, have been deployed to bombard the blaze, although vast plumes of smoke hampered the aerial attack, officials said.

As the fire, which started on August 26, showed no sign of easing, authorities pushed back an estimate for when it would be contained, saying the blaze was now unlikely to be brought under control before September 15.

Police went door to door ordering residents to leave affected areas as some 12,000 homes were threatened by the roaring blaze.

So far, more than 10,000 people have been evacuated. The fire has left two people dead and injured four others, including two who attempted to ride out the blaze in an outdoor jacuzzi.

At least 53 homes and cabins have been destroyed, although that number was expected to grow, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Two firefighters died south of the town of Acton on Sunday when their vehicle veered off the road and rolled down a mountainside.

The fire was only one of several destructive blazes across California.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger toured the scene of a fire in Placer County, northeast of Sacramento that had charred 275 acres (110 hectares) of forest and gutted some 50 homes.

Schwarzenegger urged residents who received an evacuation order to flee immediately. "I think the key thing is when you hear from law enforcement, anything about evacuation, follow their orders," Schwarzenegger said.

Officials revealed they were trying to reach five people who ignored an evacuation order in the Los Angeles wildfire.

Los Angeles County Fire Captain Mark Savage told CNN no firefighters would be risked if conditions surrounding the trapped people were too dangerous.

"Our firefighters are watching very closely," Savage said. "If the situation becomes where we can get in there and get them out, we will, but we certainly won't be endangering firefighters to make a rescue attempt at this point."

Later Monday, one of the five people reportedly trapped denied requesting assistance and said the group was not in danger.

"It's been like this for four days, and if we were in immediate danger, we would get out immediately," Mark Underwood said.

The San Gabriel Valley east of Los Angeles has experienced record heat and low humidity, with temperatures soaring above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) in the hottest locations.

A key factor in the fires' spread is that the areas most at risk are in steep terrain covered with vegetation that has not experienced fire for several decades.

California is frequently hit by wildfires due to its dry climate, winds and recent housing booms that have seen home construction spread rapidly into rural and densely forested areas.

In 2007, the state suffered some of the worst devastation from wildfires in its history that left eight people dead, gutted 2,000 homes, displaced 640,000 people and caused a billion dollars of damage.

© Copyright (c) AFP

PHOTOCREDIT: A fire engine is parked outside a residence as the Station Fire burns in the Tujunga area of Los Angeles, California August 31, 2009.Photograph by: Mario Anzuoni , Reuters
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Some time-lapse photography. That's a large fire...

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-322595

Just to clarify, that is not a "Cal Fire photo" specifically, but a California fire photo of LA City E75.

Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusPaul View Post

Looks like a volcano!
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Just to clarify, that is not a "Cal Fire photo" specifically, but a California fire photo of LA City E75.
    Splitting hairs? I don't think it really matters does it?

Now that is pretty cool!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

God, I wish i was there. Wildland Season fell on its face this year, in our neck of the woods.

Apparently Cali. Missed the memo,

My thoughts and prayers to the familys of the fallen.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Splitting hairs? I don't think it really matters does it?

Yes it does. When you say "Cal Fire", people think of the agency.

Also- This is only the first half of the fire season. October and the Santa Ana windes are not even here yet.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 09-02-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Gas brush,tinder houses and NO rain.Gonna be a looooong week(month)Good luck guys,you're gonna need all the help you can get. T.C.

I get it now.

They didn't want to spell out the whole word California and shortened it.

Cal Fire is an agency name as well, not sure it makes much difference but I get it now.

thanks Bou!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

You have to wonder what the people driving down that highway are thinking as they watch this. I'm from Ohio so we don't see anything like this. Pretty crazy...

MembersZone Subscriber

My prayers to all the firefighters and the two fallen.

How about someone publicly blaming the tree huggers for this situation. About 40 years ago they stopped the government from annual perscribed burns. This doesn't happen to this extent when you do annual burns of brush.

Good luck with the mudslides after all of this also, stay safe brothers

Very cool pics

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLee View Post
    You have to wonder what the people driving down that highway are thinking as they watch this. I'm from Ohio so we don't see anything like this. Pretty crazy...
    First two words that come to my mind? HOOOLYYYY SHEEEEIT!!

Thread Information