Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking SPIDER MAN vs MICKEY MOUSE?

Mickey Mouse nets Spider-Man

By Matt Hartley, Financial Post September 1, 2009 2:04 AM

Walt Disney Co., the entertainment giant most famous for creating the legendary cartoon characters mickey mouse and Donald Duck, announced that spider-man, Wolverine, Captain america and more than 5,000 other classic super heroes could soon be invading the happiest place on earth after shelling out nearly US$4-billion in cash and stock to acquire comic book giant marvel entertainment inc. Marvel shareholders will each receive US$30 per share and 0.745 Disney shares for each marvel share they own, the two companies said. The deal will give Disney control over some of the most famous comic book characters ever created.

"This transaction combines marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including iron man, X-men, Captain america, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparallelled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert Iger, chief executive of The Walt Disney Company.

Marvel's CEO, Ike Perlmutter, will stay on to oversee marvel's properties inside Disney. "Disney is the perfect home for marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," he said.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
    ===

Disney to acquire Marvel comics

$4B deal gives Mickey Mouse access to 5,000 new characters

By Matt Hartley, Financial Post August 31, 2009

TORONTO — For The Walt Disney Co., with great power now comes great responsibility.

On Monday, the entertainment giant most famous for creating the legendary cartoon characters Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck announced that Spider-man, Wolverine, Captain America and more than 5,000 other classic super heroes could soon be invading the happiest place on earth after shelling out nearly $4 billion U.S. in cash and stock to acquire comic book giant Marvel Entertainment Inc.

Marvel shareholders will each receive $30 U.S. per share and 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own, the two companies said in a statement.

The deal will give Disney control over some of the most famous comic book characters ever created, including Spider-man, the X-Men, the Hulk, Iron Man and the Fantastic Four.

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert Iger, chief executive of The Walt Disney Company.

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation."

Marvel's CEO, Ike Perlmutter will stay on to oversee Marvel's properties inside Disney.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," he said.

"This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

Founded in 1939, Marvel evolved into one of the leading comic book publishers of the 20th century, led by former founder and chairman Stan Lee, who has since become something of a cult hero to comic book fans around the world.

Together with co-artist Jack Kirby, Lee created some of the best known super heroes, including Spider-man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and The Hulk.

Today, films starring Marvel characters — including Wolverine, Spider-man 3 and Iron Man — are among the highest-grossing at the box office every summer.

According to its website, Marvel comics have a higher circulation than People, Time or Sports Illustrated. In the most recent quarter ended June 30, Marvel reported net sales of $116.3 million with a $29-million profit and earnings of 37 cents per share.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Must be why it costs about $80 a day per person to go to Disney World. The admission price just went up about a month ago.......Bunch of crooks.

I have always been much more of a fan of Looney Tunes than Disney anyway.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    .......Bunch of crooks.

I have always been much more of a fan of Looney Tunes than Disney anyway.
    I always thought this from day one.

Gotta love Foghorn Leghorn!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I always thought this from day one.

Gotta love Foghorn Leghorn!!
    I say, I say, I say hey now!

Looney Toons were so much more fun to watch and there were so many better characters: Foghorn, Bugs, Daffy, Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, Wile E. Coyote, the Roadrunner, Speedy Gonzales (now considered a racist character ).

So much more enjoyable than Micky, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, et. al...

And with the added bonus of the violence in the cartoons. I could watch those all day long......Might have to make a trip to YouTube.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Just tune into Teletoon Retro.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Don't forget Elmer Fudd!

I have never been to Disney World, and have no desire.. although... I hear the bass fishing is fabulous on their lake.
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

Do you think Disney will reveal that Wonder Woman invented the Wonderbra?(no pun intended)

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Agreed!
    looney toons is truely better than mickey cartoon-wise.

only beef i have is bugs likes to cross dress and kisses elmer.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    Agreed!
    Elmer doesn't seem to mind.

Seems Elmer doesn't mind the cross-dressing thing...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    Don't forget Elmer Fudd!
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm huntin' wabits. huhhuhhuhhuh.

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I have never been to Disney World, and have no desire.. although... I hear the bass fishing is fabulous on their lake.
    I am going to Orlando in a couple weeks, and have no desire to go to Disney, or Epcot. Now SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, and a few other places for sure.

I am going to Orlando in a couple weeks, and have no desire to go to Disney, or Epcot. Now SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, and a few other places for sure.
    I'm telling you, gotta go see the Kennedy Space Center.
    It was awesome!!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

It was awesome!!!!
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Never thought of that. Might have to ask the wifey........

Forum Member

It was awesome!!!!

Biggest daggum fireworks show I ever saw and I spent my 17th birthday shooting off $600.00 worth of bottle rockets and such.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    Agreed!

Did you ever get turned on when Bugs Bunny would dress like a girl to fool Elmer Fudd?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sharkie, If you get a chance drive over to Indian River. If your kids are old enough, rent Sea Doos, take them out between the 2 bridges, play with the Walruses or Manatee I think it is. We went a few years ago and my kids thought it was the best part of the entire trip.

Forum Member

I'm sure there is some licensing agreement but i dont know what it is, what happens to the spiderman ride and marvel super hero island at universal in Orlando Fl ???

http://www.universalorlando.com/amus...adventure.html

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Sharkie, If you get a chance drive over to Indian River. If your kids are old enough, rent Sea Doos, take them out between the 2 bridges, play with the Walruses or Manatee I think it is. We went a few years ago and my kids thought it was the best part of the entire trip.
    Ha! Are you kidding? I live in Massachusetts - I can't afford to have kids, I can't get Medicaid.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ha! Are you kidding? I live in Massachusetts - I can't afford to have kids, I can't get Medicaid.
    take the Mrs out. Its a real blast. Danged things nuzzle right up to you if you stop. Sure are Butt Ugly tho.

Thread Information