Thread: FP&S Idea

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FP&S Idea

As I sit here in a KC hotel, eating tuna salad (Its all there is out there) and getting ready to head to Phillipsburg KS in the morning, (whats that near? Why nothing!) I come up with what may be a good idea....

What about a wildland/urban interface slant.

1. Training materials for the public, along with community events on the
    issue.

2. Pay for firefighters to go to houses that are inhabited by high risk people, (AKA senior citizens) and do brush and undergrowth clearing around the buildings. (of course, they check smoke detectors, install address signs, preplan while there)

3. Equipment for #2, including chainsaws, brush cutters, safety equipment, training equipment, wood chippers, etc.

4. Advertising materials/spots

5. ????????

I can show the problem. Primarily our transplants for California and Chicago that want the rural experience, building houses nestled as tight in trees as they can, and the houses that have been here so long that trees are growing up in the overhangs. Greying population that has many people that just can't take care of the problem by their selfs, and a poverty level that far exceed the national average.

I can show the preliminary results of firewise community assessments - we are starting those this month.

I can mention lots of recent incidents where we expended lots of manhours in exposure protection during wildfires.

I can even mention structure losses due to wildland fire.

Thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

I really should sleep.

Water supply improvements? As in Dry Hydrants?

I realize there are some other funds out there, but the FP&S would
    be for more.

Both of these could be done on a regional basis I guess, but that would add to the managment headaches.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Check the guidelines for FP&S my friend, that's already one of the allowed projects as far as education goes. FP funds can't be used for payroll to do the cleanup, just educate the public on why they want to do the wildland risk mitigation efforts. There have been several of those types of campaigns funded in past years.

MembersZone Subscriber

It was early - 3 am, my eyes were not looking at the guidance. What about the dry hydrants?

I sure wish we could pull that payroll out though.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well if your SAFER R&R covers 'extra duties' then technically they can get paid for being out there, and FP&S can cover the rest from education materials, checklists, etc. Outside the box is a fun place to be.

Negative on the dry hydrants though, they're an AFG thing around these parts. RFA and VFA will handle them though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, after finally getting some time in the office, I found where hydrants in the guidance are certainly out, education is in, equipment to clear such as saws and chippers are out, but payroll?

Under Appendix 2, "other allowable costs", section 9, page 20, personnel costs,
    is it not saying payroll costs are OK?

2008 guidance of course.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Nope, since the payroll you're talking about is to perform the reductions:

From A.1.3 Ineligible Costs: Wildland fire fuel reduction projects that are prescribed burns or fuel reduction equipment.

Page before it has this: Fuel reduction demonstrations as part of an awareness and education effort would be considered.

So you could have payroll to make up for time to create and perform the education campaign, and only would fuel reduction be considered if it were small scale demonstration, not actually clearing someone's lot. Meaning enough to make a quick video to stick in a PowerPoint or something like that.

Thread Information