Forum Member

Exclamation I need to borrow turnout gear...

Does anybody know of somewhere I could borrow some turnout gear for my training this year at Hocking College in Ohio. I am located in the Mansfield, Ohio area. If you can help me out, send me a PM or email me at Kawasakikyle5@aol.com
    Thanks,
    Kyle

Forum Member

Several ebay auctions right noe for tog between $150 and $300 and then the best part is you can re-sell after your training for probably twice what you paid

Back In Black

You might want to clarify a few things... before the fit hits the shan.

Are you enrolled in a college course requiring gear?

I'm not clear why your sponsoring agency wouldn't supply gear?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't have to have a sponsor to go to 240 fire school here. I went through school paying for it 100% on my own with no sponsor.

www.turnoutrental.com has turnouts you can rent but its not cheap (I paid $600 for 4 months of full gear including a scott SCBA). Good luck with getting some gear and good luck with school.
    Last edited by trailboss2; 06-29-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    FFII/EMT-P

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by trailboss2 View Post
    You don't have to have a sponsor to go to 240 fire school here. I went through school paying for it 100% on my own with no sponsor. (I'm from the Marion, Ohio area. Now living in Cardington.)

www.turnoutrental.com has turnouts you can rent but its not cheap (I paid $600 for 4 months of full gear including a scott SCBA). Good luck with getting some gear and good luck with school.
    Great, thanks for clearing that up!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Yeah, my first and second quarters of college require gear and I don't have a sponsoring agency. I'm going to talk to some of the local departments around here and maybe around Hocking and see if any of them can set me up. Thanks everyone for the responses.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default gear rental

Hocking has a gear rental program. Check with local depts - Nelsonville, The Plains, Athens (has paid dept)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26 View Post
    Hocking has a gear rental program. Check with local depts - Nelsonville, The Plains, Athens (has paid dept)
    Okay great, I was going to go there next week and look for a job so I will look into that as well while I am there. Thanks
    Did you go to Hocking?

Forum Member

Im just curious about the gear? If you require gear for the course, are live fires going to be introduced? If so would NFPA certified gear be required? I would be watchfull of gear that is loaned by other stations as it may be old. Perhaps check with the institution to see if they have specific requirments.

Lawsuits are plentiful with gear failure.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Default How bout a tractor?

I need to borrow a tractor to bushog 20 acres of pasture. The weeds are so high I can barely see the horses.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Check with Donna at Bridge Canyon FD in Az. She has gear and tractors...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hocking

no - my oldest son goes there and i have taught at an explorer fre acadmey last years during summer.

drop me email for questions

Forum Member

That is why I like the Commonwealth Virginia Fire Programs and the State of Maryland and others rules. You have to be a member of a department to take and participate in any fore type class from classroom to fire ground activity.

If all the states would do the same, we wouldn’t have guys running all over getting fire courses and don’t know why the apparatus is facing outwards in the houses.

Robert you can borrow my tractor and bush hog! You want me to bring it to you??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Robert you can borrow my tractor and bush hog! You want me to bring it to you??
    Absolutely Cap! Although it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, it is an interesting story. I have a buddy that lives about a mile or two down the road.

He is over 90 years old - I don't know his actual age, he tells me something different every other day. At any rate, he has never been married and has never owned an automobile. He still rides a horse everywhere he has to go. I know he is shopping when I see General or Lil Moon hitched up to the telephone pole in front of the Kroger store.

He has only one living relative that I know of, his neice and she is about retirement age herself. I check in on him and help him take care of the horses, although it is a struggle because he is always reminded me that he is not helpless and can move the 100 lb sacks of feed himself.

Anyway, someone hid the keys to his tractor several years ago because they feared he was getting too old. Whenever I find one, it will most likely be another fight over who is going to be doing the cutting!

Here is a photo of him, baby Addie, and General.

RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information