Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Glove rec's for a student:

Evenin' everyone. I've searched what I could for glove info around here, but really only found year+ old threads and gloves suggestions that make sense for an active fire fighter (as in, kinda spendy). I'm currently a student in a fire protection program, and just started FF1. We have gear that we can use, but it's shared with three other classes. I don't mind all the other gear, but I'm just not up for sharing a hood, and trying every class to get the least worn out gloves. The joys of a state ran tech school, eh?

Anyways, I've selected my hood. Now I'm looking into a decent pair of gloves that are still NFPA, but for around $50ish.

Examples I have considered are the Shelby 5227 blue koala gloves (or 5226/5280/5285), the Dragon Fire Alpha, the Glove Corp FFs and FF+, etc. I would love the Pro Tech Titans/Titan-Ks, but I really don't care to spend $80 on gloves that are gonna be used in classes. I could be wrong?

Also, if you have experience, if you could let me know how the brand you use runs in sizes, if they're big/small/etc.

Kind of a large order for a new guy, but I highly appreciate the opinions of the pro's.

Thanks all,
    -Blake

Thumbs up Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMN View Post
    Evenin' everyone. I've searched what I could for glove info around here, but really only found year+ old threads and gloves suggestions that make sense for an active fire fighter (as in, kinda spendy). I'm currently a student in a fire protection program, and just started FF1. We have gear that we can use, but it's shared with three other classes. I don't mind all the other gear, but I'm just not up for sharing a hood, and trying every class to get the least worn out gloves. The joys of a state ran tech school, eh?

Anyways, I've selected my hood. Now I'm looking into a decent pair of gloves that are still NFPA, but for around $50ish.

Examples I have considered are the Shelby 5227 blue koala gloves (or 5226/5280/5285), the Dragon Fire Alpha, the Glove Corp FFs and FF+, etc. I would love the Pro Tech Titans/Titan-Ks, but I really don't care to spend $80 on gloves that are gonna be used in classes. I could be wrong?

Also, if you have experience, if you could let me know how the brand you use runs in sizes, if they're big/small/etc.

Kind of a large order for a new guy, but I highly appreciate the opinions of the pro's.

Thanks all,
    -Blake
    Blake,

Before starting my fire academy, I purchased a LARGE size pair of Shelby FDP Koala/Gore Glove w/Gauntlets (which are fully NFPA compliant):

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ve_w_gauntlet/

According to NFPA 1500, current bunker coats must have wristlets, 4 inch 100% Nomex coverings along the distal end of the coat arms in with the thumb joint will slip through, fit around the firefighters hand and provide redundant protection where the skin may show between the glove and coat. They are designed to prevent burns to the wrist, while preventing bunching and remaining flexible.

I brought this up since you stated that you will be sharing gear. If you can see that all the bunker coats that you might use already have the built-in wristlets, the Shelbys with the Gauntlets should be fine. (They are the ones pictured in the link above) If not all the bunker coats that you might use have the built-in wristlets (Like you said, the joys of a state ran tech school ) or your not sure, err on the side of caution and buy the Shelbys with built-in wristlets. (Pictured in the link below):

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ve_w_wristlet/

The reason I bring this up is because the last thing you ever want is exposed skin when you are fully bunked out and in the presense of fire!

I highly recommend the Shelby FDP Koala/Gore Gloves for their:

*Protection, Performance, and Mobility
    *Sizing and Comfort (The LARGE fit me perfect, not too big/not too small)
    *Waterproof
    *Shelby's cut and sewn glove system, so the insides of your gloves will not be pulled out everytime you take your hand out of the glove.
    *Durability
    *Price: $49.49 (The gloves you will use in fire school are going to take a beating! Wait to buy the pricier gloves once you get on with a department.)

Firefighter glove manufacturers usually recommend firefighters assess their hand size by measuring wrist circumference and hand length, yet these two measures alone may not accommodate an adequate fit for some firefighters. Be sure the gloves size you chose is not too big and not too small. Once you get them wet a couple of times, they may shrink a little, but usually not much.

In closing, I recommend to try and find as many different size of Blue Shelbys as you can, try them all on and find which size fits you best, and then buy a pair of that size brand new. When I was price searching for my Shelbys before fire academy, I found that TheFireStore.com had the best price (Best price when combined with shipping too)

Good luck with your fire school!

P.S.- I'm still using my fire academy pair of Shelbys as part of my regular P.P.E. with my department and they are still holding up great, even after fire calls and multiple all-day live fire training events. I got to test out a pair of the Dragon Fire Gloves at the F.R.I. Expo in Dallas, Texas last weekend and they are amazing! But like I said before, it would be better to buy those types of gloves after you get on with a department.
    Last edited by pewter98; 09-06-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: B/C I'm not a spelling bee champ!
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Thank you, I could not have asked for a better response! The koala Shelby is what I was leaning towards. I do know most of our jackets have the wristlets, and we are assigned pants/boots/jacket (mine has them). I plan on purchasing gauntlets.

As for sizing, I have generally been a large, in any glove. In normal work gloves I'm usually a medium or a large, and if I recall correctly I used large Fire-Dex gloves for a Public Safety class in high school. And, going by Galls/Fire Authority's sizing chart, I'm an L. I really don't have access to any Shelby's, the school uses all cheap Glove Corps or Fire-Dex I think.

Upon a ridiculous amount of time spent researching prices, so far the best I have found is at FeldFire ( http://www.feldfire.com/m8_view_item.html?m8:item=5228 ). $56, including 2 day shipping. (The base price there is $43).

Thanks for the help!

Stay safe,
    -Blake

Blake you bring up a very good point of not wanting to spend an arm and a leg. It is very smart to get your own hood and gloves, besides the sanitary issue, you can see how worn your things are becoming and not have to worry about if they will hold. As far as price I look at it this way, get something you will like, will work, and will keep you protected. After all, with gloves you can pretty much say you're putting a price tag on your hands. Be safe and good luck!
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMN View Post
    Thank you, I could not have asked for a better response! The koala Shelby is what I was leaning towards. I do know most of our jackets have the wristlets, and we are assigned pants/boots/jacket (mine has them). I plan on purchasing gauntlets.

As for sizing, I have generally been a large, in any glove. In normal work gloves I'm usually a medium or a large, and if I recall correctly I used large Fire-Dex gloves for a Public Safety class in high school. And, going by Galls/Fire Authority's sizing chart, I'm an L. I really don't have access to any Shelby's, the school uses all cheap Glove Corps or Fire-Dex I think.

Upon a ridiculous amount of time spent researching prices, so far the best I have found is at FeldFire ( http://www.feldfire.com/m8_view_item.html?m8:item=5228 ). $56, including 2 day shipping. (The base price there is $43).

Thanks for the help!

Stay safe,
    -Blake
    Glad to help brother! I personally prefer the bunker coat with wristlets b/c to me, the gauntlet gloves feel less bunched up and cumbersome. When I first started out, I too was issued a pair of LARGE Fire-Dex gloves. Their fit and using Galls/Fire Authority's sizing chart was pretty much how I based my decision on what size of Shelbys to buy. Thats a really good price for 2 day shipping. If you have any other questions about anything, post 'em or PM me. (Though you may have to post a few more times before your account is able to PM someone.)

Again, good luck with your fire school!
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

From one new guy to another...dont focus sooooo much on the brand or price of the gear. Some are worth the price, and some are not! Dont fall into a trap of always needing to spend huge money on the latest and seemingly greatest. Just my 2 cents....good luck!

Well, I've had the gloves for about two weeks now, used 'em in a few classes. So far, I like them. They don't have the mobility of the school's old Fire Fighters, but those are also well broken in at several years old. I'm slowly getting mine broken in doing knots at home. They fit it pretty dang good, the fingers are a bit long for me, but that's the same with EVERY glove I wear. They haven't gotten soaked yet, so we'll see what happens there. They're a bit tough getting over the wristlets, keeps slowin' down my time. I'm sure that'll change, too.

Thanks again guys for the input. I'm happy with what I got.

MembersZone Subscriber

Having witnessed a few fire tests at work on a bunch of gear, ill let you know they all perform pretty much the same for the price...

Thread Information