+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Your Ideal Fleet

So. Many of us on here are very opinionated, and educated, with regards apparatus design. What we like, what we don't like, what works, what doesn't. If you could build a fleet from scratch, with money not an issue, what would it look like. Include type, design, chassis, brand, ect. Be as brief or descriptive as you want. Definitions are as follows:

Pumper = Type 1 Urban Pumper
    Squad = Rescue Pumper
    Aerial = Any type of aerial master stream or rescue apparatus
    Rescue = Dedicated Heavy or Medium Rescue
    Ambulance = I know, I know! But try something new and go for it.
    WUI = Type III Wildland Urban Interface Pumper
    Brush = Type VI or similar of road wildland
    Tender = Water Supply Apparatus
    Command/Chase Cars = Whatever u want
    Misc = If u have something special share it!

Please also describe staffing and response to First and Second alarm structure fires. What apparatus would be responsible for extrication? You get the idea! Have fun - keep it friendly!

Forum Member

Anything with a Mack CF chassis. DONE! LOL
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    I second that motion. All those in favor?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post

Third! I mean "I"!
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Something that doesnt occupy the machanics time several days a week

Something better than low bid

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Something that doesnt occupy the machanics time several days a week

sounds like the 03 TL from central ohio that we have....

lately, i'll take anything that can stop the lack of fire duty here.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610
    Something that doesn't occupy the mechanics time several days a week!!!

Something better than low bid.
    That pretty much says it all, from my end.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

I throw my own in here. I live in a county with mostly WUI but there are 3 or 4 areas more suburban like.

Pumper = 4x4 4door IH chassis, rear mount 1000gpm pump and roll forward & reverse in 4x4 and 4x2, 500 gal water, High pressure system w/foam, Holmatro combi tool & single tool pump, wildland tools, all ISO and NFPA pumper gear, BLS gear and AED

Squad = Spartan custom chassis, rear mount 2000gpm pump, 750 gal water. Holmatro Extrication, basic HazMat, TechRescue, Rescue42 Jacks w/shoring ability, all ISO and NFPA pumper gear, ALS gear and AED

Aerial = Spartan custom chassis Rosenbauer METZ. NO PUMP, TANK or HOSE! 160'+ of ground ladders, lots of scene lighting, generator, high angle rescue, all NFPA and ISO ladder truck equip, fully set up to used crane abilities

Rescue = Spartan custom chassis, tandem rear axle, big generator, half walk in w/pass through to cab, half non walk in, crane mounted on the rear, warehouse on wheels FDNY style! Only need one of these!

Ambulance = 4x4 Dodge 4500, 2 door cab, large box 155"+, forcible entry tools like bolt cutters, axe, halligan, ect. Electric or pneumatic cots and other bariatric abilities, the usual ALS gear, vacuum mattresses instead of backboards.

WUI = see Pumper above

Brush = 2 door 4x4 Dodge 4500, less than 150" wheel base, rear mount ultra high pressure aux pump, 300 gal water, purpose built body, all wildland tools, high pressure booster reels and spray bars, awesome grill guard, receiver hitch winch, small hose bed, off road lighting.

Tender = 2 door MAC, 2500 gal water, 500 gpm pump, spray bars, pump and roll, limited tools, 2500 gal aluminum frame porta tank, swivel dump,

Command/Chase Cars = Subaru 4dr sedans, tubo, AWD, auto tranny, performance package, basic ems gear, all hide away lighting and minimal decals.

I reserve the right to edit this and add photos later
    Last edited by viperfire1; 09-04-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Forum Member

For Our Single Station:
    ENGINES (2) 4x4 4 door IH chassis or HME SFO, 1000gpm pump, 750 gal water, CAFS, short wheel base, lots of compartment space, split load 3" hose.
    RESCUE (1) 4x4 4door IH chassis non walk in rescue body with generator, 3-bottle cascade.
    BRUSH (1) Dodge 2 door Type 6 brush, 4x4, 300gal 300 gpm aux, conflag loaded
    WILDLAND TENDER(1) 4x4 4 door IH chassis, 500gpm hydrostatic pump, 1500 gallons, wildland compliment
    TENDER(2) 2 door IH chassis 500gpm front mount or pto, 2500 gallons, porta tanks
    CHIEF (1) Grand Cherokee with hidden lights and no decals
    SQUAD (1) Tahoe with external lights and full decal
    Last edited by drakescrossing; 09-04-2009 at 04:38 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by viperfire1 View Post
    Aerial = Spartan custom chassis Rosenbauer METZ. NO PUMP, TANK or HOSE! 160'+ of ground ladders, lots of scene lighting, generator, high angle rescue, all NFPA and ISO ladder truck equip, fully set up to used crane abilities
    Good luck with that...

I didn't think a Metz needed ground ladders?

With shopping cart, or without?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Outstanding aerial selection!!!!!!!!

I like the 1000gpm rear mount but I would add pump and roll with a roof mount monitor for quick attack, cars, dumpsters and short crew applications.

343, A little help here please!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I second that motion. All those in favor?
    I!

(stupid minimum character requirement)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

DAMN IT!! I wanted to be the first to say make mine MACK CF!!

I can't think of a single cab and chassis other than that that comes close. There are those of today that of course I would pick because they are my only choice. but of all time? Give me a Mack Cf anyday.

Forum Member

unlimited money you say? I'd tell NFPA to go suck my D%#K and make my own custom chassis with all the reliability and simplicity of the chassis of old (such as the Mack CF) with a couple of updates to make it more comfortable and safer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    unlimited money you say? I'd tell NFPA to go suck my D%#K and make my own custom chassis with all the reliability and simplicity of the chassis of old (such as the Mack CF) with a couple of updates to make it more comfortable and safer
    I would have somebody build me a CUSTOM cab and forget all about NFPA.

I would have:

Pumper-(2) Class A "old school" pumpers (Cab w/ open jump seats), either ALF or Mack. 1250 gpm/500 gallons. One with 1800' of 5" the other with 1800' of 3". SCBA's in the jump seats, the rest in the compartments.

Ladder-(1) 105' rear mount quint, again with an "old school" cab. 1500 gpm and 500 gallons. With a full compliment of ground ladders, Fans, and Saws. Probably made by either Seagrave or ALF.

Ambulance- (1) 4x4 box style, probably on a Dodge

Tender/Tanker- Probably wouldn't have one.

Brush Truck- (2) Ford type 6 brush trucks. 150 gpm 300 gallons.

Interface-(1) 4x4 IH 750 gpm 500 gallon WUI pumper.

Light Rescue- (1) Ford 4x4 van (rescue) and one utility/squad 51 style rescue

Heavy Rescue- Woudn't have one. I have my light rescue trucks. If i had high-rises and if i was in CA or DC i might, but here where i am in CO, i dont need one.

Rescue-Pumper- No thanks, i have a designated rescue truck

Chief- (1) 4 door 4x4 pick up- chiefs vehicle/utility

Responses-
    Structure Fire- Pumper, then whatever is on its way out the door next, preferably another pumper

High Occupancy Building Fire- Quint first, then Pumper

Medical- Rescue squad and ambulance

T/A- Rescue and ambulance

Vehicle Fire- Pumper

Grass/Wildland Fire- Brush truck, then WUI pumper
    Last edited by FFSKPII; 09-05-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Forum Member

What is an "old school" engine?

Chevy C70 w/454, 5sp w/2sp rear, 750gpm PTO pump and a tailboard full of FF?

Whoooooeeee. Them was the good ole days.

Shop around and can buy 100 of them next week for $2000.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    What is an "old school" engine?

Chevy C70 w/454, 5sp w/2sp rear, 750gpm PTO pump and a tailboard full of FF?

Whoooooeeee. Them was the good ole days.

Shop around and can buy 100 of them next week for $2000.
    My guess would be, and far be it from me to speak for anyone else here, an engine with no computer, no electronic pump controls, a real vernier throttle hooked to the engine not to computer wires, a relief valve, and something that if it broke you actually had a chance to fix it on the fireground instead of having to call a NASA rocket scientist to come and shake his head and say well they never did that at the factory.

It has not one thing to do with riding the tailboard. Do you think enclosed cabs were invented in the last 30 years? Do you think diesel engines and automatic transmissions were invented in the last 30 years? The fact is fire engines have become so complicated and so electronic and computer controlled that if they have difficulties we are basically screwed and at the mercy of the manufacturer to repair those things. Fire Department mechanics used to fix things, now, just like auto mechanics they switch out computer and electronic modules and pray they guessed the right one.

Forum Member

my ideal hall will include

2x Spartan customs raised roof enclosed pump, hale qmax pan doors 750 tank, ladder compliment through tank.

1x 125ft ladder, spartan raised roof, 2000 gpm hale (officer side pump panel) pan doors,

1x Heavy Rescue, big raised roof, walk in/through body, roll up doors, hydraulic reels, commandlight, freightliner tandem chassis

1x air/light rescue, f-550 chassis, cascade system, portable gens and lights salvage/overhaul equipment

2x tankers, 2000 gallon plastisol or ellipticals, 500gpm portable pump power tank lift

1x Command car. Ford Expedition

In my dreams!

Cool Old School

Mack CF 95' AerialScope enclosed cab and good AC.
    Mack MC heavy rescue non-walking twin screw home depot
    Small engine fdny seagrave or la pierce
    Bell Helicopter chief's vehicle
    Mich Ultra rehab pumper with hooter's girl pump operator. extra suds!
    DC10 tanker for brush truck airdrops

Forum Member

Talking

I'll take the CF macks!!! a classic american fire truck! of course all RED trucks. Even little kids know fire trucks are suppose to be red. No LIME green and red chevrons on the back.

pumper- seagrave on a mack CF, dual stage hale pump, relief valve, throttle cable not wires, no rescue body or roll up doors, ladders on the side, low hose bed, dual lay 2.5 inch lines, no crosslays all off the rear. open jumpseats (man i miss riding on those, not the best as far as safety but hey they were fun.) short compact wheelbase. No fancy state of the art super ballistic nylon take you 15 mins to get the hose off hose bed covers. NO COMPUTERS

truck companies- as mix of tillers and scopes. Mack CF of course. NO pumps. the only hose i want to see on the tillers is for the ladder pipe. Ground ladders and more ground ladders. Did i say NO COMPUTERS

Rescue- Peterbuilt walk in rescue, like the old Baltimore Rescue 1. or if you want to keep the fleet all one builder. I will take the mack MC. Did i say NO COMPUTERS

Last but not least anyone caught sneaking a PPV fan on my truck companies. will be exicuted without trial or questions being asked.

Forum Member

Did I mention chicago colours! sharp!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by viperfire1 View Post

Pumper = A fleet of fully refurbished CF Macks. 1500/500. Refurbed by ITE.
    Squad = Freshly refurbished CF Mack with Seagrave rescue pumper body.
    Aerial = Buckets would be CF Mack Aerialscopes. Sticks would be CF Mack tractors with Seagrave trailers/ladders.
    Rescue = Freshly refurbished tandem screw CF or MC Mack with Saulsbury body.
    Ambulance = Wouldn't be any in my fleet. EMS would be contracted out or a separate municipal service. EMS is evil.

WUI = No thank you.
    Brush = Thats why the engines have booster reels.
    Tender = No thank you.
    Command/Chase Cars = Diesel Excursions or Suburbans
    Misc =

Please also describe staffing and response to First and Second alarm structure fires. What apparatus would be responsible for extrication? You get the idea! Have fun - keep it friendly!
    Minimum staffing on an engine is officer and 4.
    Trucks are Officer and 5.
    Rescue and Squad Companies are Officer and 5.

A "Tactical Box" would get 2 Engines, 2 Trucks and a Chief. (Residential or light commercial, not receiving multiple phone calls.)

A Full Box gets 4 Engines, 2 Trucks, 2 Chiefs, and a Squad or Rescue.

"All-Hands" gets 4 engines, 3 Trucks (one is the FAST), 2 Chiefs, a Squad, a Rescue, and a Division Chief.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    My guess would be, and far be it from me to speak for anyone else here, an engine with no computer, no electronic pump controls, a real vernier throttle hooked to the engine not to computer wires, a relief valve, and something that if it broke you actually had a chance to fix it on the fireground instead of having to call a NASA rocket scientist to come and shake his head and say well they never did that at the factory.

It has not one thing to do with riding the tailboard. Do you think enclosed cabs were invented in the last 30 years? Do you think diesel engines and automatic transmissions were invented in the last 30 years? The fact is fire engines have become so complicated and so electronic and computer controlled that if they have difficulties we are basically screwed and at the mercy of the manufacturer to repair those things. Fire Department mechanics used to fix things, now, just like auto mechanics they switch out computer and electronic modules and pray they guessed the right one.
    Exactly! Open cab jump seats, no crosslays, short wheel base, no computer junk.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Everyone needs ground ladders!

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Good luck with that...

I didn't think a Metz needed ground ladders?

With shopping cart, or without?
    Don't need luck. My "shopping cart" will have about 80 years worth of proven engineering and design.

Forum Member

Engine: Spartan Gladiator cab and chassis with Marion body. 2000 GPM, 500 gallons water, 10'' raised roof, A/B Foam, CAFS, fully ALS. 3 crosslays, 700 feet LDH, Skid load, 700 feet 2.5''

Truck: Pierce Velocity rearmount 105' Quint. 2000 GPM, 300 gallons water, 10'' raised roof, A/B Foam, CAFS, fully ALS, built in generator, with 4 hydraulic cord reels (2 off each side), 2 electric cord reel (with box) (1 off each side). 3 crosslays. 500 feet LDH, skid load

Rescue: Marion walk in rescue. built in generator, 8 hydraulic cord reels (3 off each side, 2 on front bumper), 4 electric reels (2 off each side). Walk in portion, enough room to get dressed for SCUBA or high-angle rescue while en route to the run. fully ALS.

Ambulance: International Heavy Duty Chassis with MedTec body. Air bag suspension

Staffing:

Engine: Driver, Officer, 3 in back
    Truck: Driver, Officer, 4 in back
    Rescue: Driver, Officer, 5 in back
    Ambulance: 1 EMT (driver), 2 Medics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information