Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Give the man a cigar. Not only a troll, but he's not even a firefighter or an engineer.

He's Paul Blart, Security Dude.

No wonder he's jealous.
    Quick, how do you find the maximum distance for a trajectory with initial velocity of 300 m/s on earth?

FYI, this is a basic engineering problem is solved in about 3 minutes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    In case you missed it Mr. Pot Stirrer, you had a chief he failed to do his job because he slept through the call. In my book first offense, counseling, second offense 15 days, third offense fired.
    lol I've been around twice as long as you and have a quarter as many posts... since you're so obsessed with facts. Wonder what that fact says...

Quick, how do you find the maximum distance for a trajectory with initial velocity of 300 m/s on earth?

Yes it is, but first, is that an African swallow, or a European one? Laden or unladen?
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

I'm sure you can find the answer on Wikipedia.

Quick, define primary search.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I'm sure you can find the answer on Wikipedia.

Quick, define primary search.
    You missed it. He already did the ctrl-C, switch window, ctrl-V thing a page or two ago.

But he's an engineer, so simple hydraulics should be a snap, right?

Friction loss (approximate) of a 100' stick of 1.5" hose pumping 100GPM? Quick, any probie should be able to answer this!
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

I had originally put in a comment to be careful about how you answer the question. Then I removed it. This was the exact response I wanted.
    Glad I could help. However, you read way too far into it. My point was simply that many of us don't spend all 24 hours on calls, but that doesn't mean we do nothing the rest of the time.

Now think about this from the tax payer point of view, the guy who actually does have to work the entire time he is at work.
    Well, I AM a taxpayer and have no problem with the fact that the firefighters are allowed to sleep on-duty as long as the necessary work to be ready to go when the alarm sounds is taken care of. This is the same way I felt before taking the job.

Like I already stated, the job is about being prepared to and then responding immediately when needed. It's not about producing "X" number of widgets per day to make the stockholders happy. Sure many days my job is "easier"
    than many others out there, but there's also many days where it isn't. How many people in those other jobs have to take vacation in order to spend Christmas (or any other holiday) with their family or have to miss it altogether because the FD doesn't shut down - ever?

So you aren't working the entire time, you want to work a 24 hour shift, and you want to sleep while working. Talk about the best of all worlds.
    Yes it's a nice set up, but it's not so much about wanting to work 24-hour shifts and sleeping at work. It was about working as a firefighter. My department went to 24 hours shifts a couple decades ago, long before I even lived here.

Thread Information