Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCarbone View Post
    So you suck at math as well.

The website shows the calculation that 100 foot of 1 inch hose contains 4 gallons of water. The only way you can come up with 5 inch hose holding only 20 gallons of water is by multiplying the result by 5 and hoping that you would be correct. Problem is that Geometry does not work that way.

Here is the calculation from the website:

V = 3.14 x r2 x (length of hose)

For 100 foot of 1 inch hose that equals out to:

V = 3.14 x 0.5 in x 0.5 in x 1,200 in = 942 in3 = 4 gallons

For 100 foot of 5 inch hose that equals out to:

V = 3.14 x 2.5 in x 2.5 in x 1,200 in = 23550 in3 = 102 gallons

I know, math is hard...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I know, math is hard...
    I'm a hater of math, too.

Even Hottrotter isn't this dumb. I'm guessing this is a high schooler.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Originally Posted by"moi"
    The only way the "Sky Snake" could work would be by computer generated graphics.

May I suggest Pixar Studios or Industrial Light and Magic?
    Posted by ChrisCarbone
    I can do that myself.
    Well then... a challenge...

Why don't you produce a CGI film about your "sky snake", showing the hot air balloon lifting system, the electric propeller propulsion system, solar panel and nuclear powered pumping system along with the carbon/aluminum semi rigid spine system to show us how it works?

Inquiring minds want to know... or do you just "merde d'entretien"?
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-06-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Are you kidding me?

V=3.14 x 2.5 x 2.5 x 1200
    V=23550 in3

23550 in3/1725 in3 x 7.48gal=102.1183 gal

102gal x 8 lbs = 816 lbs (not counting couplings and hose)

The answer to your formula is 102 gallons for a 100' length of 5 inch hose assuming the hose does not stretch (which it does). I'm also assuming the ID is 5 inches.

You need to do your math again. What is your background?

Seriously, anyone who has worked with firehose would know it's not 20 gal. That would mean 25 oz of water every foot.

What a joke.
    You're right, I'm not talented with maths so I simply multiplied a 1" hose capacity (4 gallons according to this site) by 5 to get an approximate 20 gallons. I didn't know there would be another 5 times more gallons!

I got a more realistic number of about 853 lbs of water.

853 + 60 = 913 lbs total weight for a 5 inches hose with water.

That means we actually need about 57,000 cubic feet of envelope volume.
    The hot hare balloon, as an example, could therefore hold a 300 feet long hose filled with water.

Banned

Except your assumptions are way off. The capacity of 5" firehose is 1 gal per foot.

I believe I posted this earlier.

You say you are a firefighter, huh?

Can you define primary search?
    One US gallon is 0.133681 cubic feet

1 foot of 5 inch hose is 235.5 cubic inches

1 cubic foot = 1728 cubic inches = .13628 cubic feet

Just validating for you.

A primary search is a quick sweep looking for victims where they are more likely to be found.

Reference:
    Primary Search

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Originally Posted by"moi"

Posted by ChrisCarbone

Why don't you produce a CGI film about your "sky snake", showing the hot air balloon lifting system, the electric propeller propulsion system, solar panel and nuclear powered pumping system along with the carbon/aluminum semi rigid spine system to show us how it works?

Because I don't want to. I would do it if it was really necessary or to show it to serious people.

Banned

Hey no fair picking on the old gray mare. I hear she has been sent off to the glue factory.

You're right, I'm not talented with maths so I simply multiplied a 1" hose capacity (4 gallons according to this site) by 5 to get an approximate 20 gallons. I didn't know there would be another 5 times more gallons!

I got a more realistic number of about 853 lbs of water.

853 + 60 = 913 lbs total weight for a 5 inches hose with water.

That means we actually need about 57,000 cubic feet of envelope volume.
    The hot hare balloon, as an example, could therefore hold a 300 feet long hose filled with water.
    What is your background? Time to confess, you aren't a firefighter, right?

Also, your still in school, right?

C'mon... lets be honest now.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Whatever, math is not my interest, it's like...answering one of your comments. I have a university degree in damage insurance BTW, it has nothing to do with physics maths you dumbass.

Whatever, math is not my interest, it's like...answering one of your comments. I have a university degree in damage insurance BTW, it has nothing to do with physics maths you dumbass.
    Don't be such a hater.

What is your background? Time to confess, you aren't a firefighter, right?

Also, your still in school, right?

C'mon... lets be honest now.
    I was a firefighter for 18 years, then I went back to university (again) after an injury and studied damage insurance; I hated it. I went back to work in the firefighting field 4 years later, doing a variety of jobs since 2001. I'm now close to retirement.

Originally Posted by "moi"

ChrisCarbone's answer...

Because I don't want to. I would do it if it was really necessary or to show it to serious people
    The real reason is... you can't. I knew you were merde d'entretien.

If your "idea" is so great, why don't you pitch it to Le Service Incendie du Quebec? That way, they can sell the Bombardier 415 "SuperScoopers" to CalFire...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default I want help

I am going to take my involvement in a new direction. No more pointing out the faults with this IDEA. I am now jumping on board and going to help. I have invented, designed, thought of, come up with an idea for the balloon part of this invention. Photo below. Now that we have that end done onto the pump design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    I am going to take my involvement in a new direction. No more pointing out the faults with this IDEA. I am now jumping on board and going to help. I have invented, designed, thought of, come up with an idea for the balloon part of this invention. Photo below. Now that we have that end done onto the pump design.
    Thanks Tom... in oder to save my new MacBook Pro from being sprayed with coffee, I had to turn my head to laugh at the pic... and our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Bailey just got "showered"!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post

Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind: inventions, literary and artistic works, and symbols, names, images, and designs used in commerce.

From World Intellectual Property Organization What is Intellectual Property?
    Exactly...

Let's just say, one night, at a large fire, I'm over come with smoke and heat, collapse and bump my head. In my coma, my brain is trying to sort things out and I some how imagine a large flying snake that spits water out. I ponder on it more and come up with the flying snake of fire-death. Does this mean I have created this new invention? Have I invented this before little chris here? Am I entitled to the rights of this invention? No. Because I have created nothing but what is created over a million times a minute in our brain. Had I built it and tested it........ thats a different story.

Do you see why it's laughable you've considered this ONE person to be your ally, and a superior mind?

By the way, how could you analyze my logic when I have shown flawless reasoning the whole time?
    well....

I named it the "Sky Snake" or "Sky Hydra":
    The idea is to build a very long hose attached to an equally long hot air tube(illogical) designed to lift it over obstacles such as trees. The device can have one or many heads(illogical, also redundant).

A powerful pump(improbable, also illogical) would be placed at it's base to push water up the hose and spray continuous jets of water. It could take it's water from any source such as lakes, rivers, the ocean, a well, a fire hydrant, etc.

A camera would also be fixed at the head of the device to help guide the actions of the fireman controlling the direction of the Sky Snake from a computer software. Remotely controllable small wings(really? illogical) would be designed to make the device go wherever we want.

Once the fire is extinguished, the Sky Snake can simply be rolled back to it's mobile station.
    -The size of the hot air tube must be large enough.(illogical)
    -The pressure of the water pushed in the hose eases the lifting.(impossible, illogical)
    -Additional hot air balloons, helicopters, fans or even reactors could help lift it.(really?)
    -The heat of the fire can be used as an additional lift energy.(and to melt it, sorry icarus)
    Your arguments are invalid.

Wildland fire is so dynamic = The Sky Snake is dynamic (dynamic is not a good term in this definition.)
    Water is so limited = Don't use a Sky Snake if you don't have water around( which would be, I don't know, a majority of the fire)
    Firelines are miles long = A Sky Snake is miles long(has been thrown out due to being illogical)
    Simply putting water on the fire won't put it out = Yes it will(stupidity)
    You will always need some ground troops = Duh(yes. On you'r part)
    This idea borders on the absurd = I don't respect this comment(Because it's not praising your absurd idea?)
    Here's how you are wrong: you have no will to change.(and because you do not agree with me)
    flash foward 3 pages because its getting boring.....

The overwhelming majority of people exposed to a new idea will reject it out-of-hand.
    (have you seen any type of program about inventions? Most are thrown out due to the invention itself not feasible, either no demand, high cost over results, improbability over working.....I could go on, just because you've invented something doesn't require the world to accept it.)

You are not nice and the one you call an idiot is by far a superior mind.(THE SINGLE BIGGEST EVIDENCE YOUR INTELLIGENCE IS LOW) My invention is not what I would call very reasonable( due to the fact it will never work) but it is better than throwing buckets with a plane.(because it cost millions and millions to produce/maintain) Especially if there's a water source within some hundreds of feets from the fire.(which is apparently not as rare in forest fires as I once thought

You are right..... flawless.....

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Originally Posted by "moi"

ChrisCarbone's answer...

The real reason is... you can't. I knew you were merde d'entretien.

If your "idea" is so great, why don't you pitch it to Le Service Incendie du Quebec? That way, they can sell the Bombardier 415 "SuperScoopers" to CalFire...
    I can lol, I am trained in 3D animation with maya 8.5 and virtools 4.0.
    I did approach people within my government but I've been told that the problem is not important enough here in Quebec to get the project started and that I should try it in the US instead, or in British Colombia. I chose to start here because I thought US people were people that think big.

I can lol, I am trained in 3D animation with maya 8.5 and virtools 4.0.
    I did approach people within my government but I've been told that the problem is not important enough here in Quebec to get the project started and that I should try it in the US instead, or in British Colombia. I chose to start here because I thought US people were people that think big.
    By problem, I think they mean you.

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    By problem, I think they mean you.
    Very clever

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Exactly...

Let's just say, one night, at a large fire, I'm over come with smoke and heat, collapse and bump my head. In my coma, my brain is trying to sort things out and I some how imagine a large flying snake that spits water out. I ponder on it more and come up with the flying snake of fire-death. Does this mean I have created this new invention? Have I invented this before little chris here? Am I entitled to the rights of this invention? No. Because I have created nothing but what is created over a million times a minute in our brain. Had I built it and tested it........ thats a different story.

Do you see why it's laughable you've considered this ONE person to be your ally, and a superior mind?
    An idea is intellectual property, Believe it or not you can get a patent on an idea.

Thread Information